Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 4
1 23 > Last »
Sports>Let's talk balls....GOLF balls
GolfNut 10:52 AM 08-15-2010
We've got such a large membership here of golfers, we should have a pretty diverse opinion on golf balls.

Now, I do like the Pro-V1's. Great confidence in them and they are terrific around the green. I don't have an absurdly high swing speed (112mph driver) so I'm probably not getting full advantage of these balls, but I still play well with them.

My other favorite (even over a Pro-V1) is the Callaway HX Tour when I can find them. I've played the new Callaway Tour-ix and don't see much difference.

I hate spending the $$ on these things though. There is one hole on my course, a long par 5 with OB left into a big weedy field. This is rattlesnake time around here so nobody really goes out looking for a lost ball and I can usually find at least 6-8 premium balls out there. My bag pockets are stuffed with lightly used pro-v's right now. lol.

Now, a little bit further down the ladder is the Titleist NXT, and NXT-Tour. Both of these are excellent balls I think. Not quite as soft off the putter, but still excellent performers.

One round, I ran across a brand new Top Flight XL Straight. Tee'd it up and shot 5 over on the front nine with it (good for me). So I ask myself, why do I prefer these high priced gems over the top rock that I just shot a 40 with? I have no answer to that, other than confidence over the ball knowing I can get it to stop reasonably close to where I want on the green.

What are your favorites?
[Reply]
maverickdrinker 10:59 AM 08-15-2010
I do like the Pro Vs. The new taylor made pentas are quite good. I have to say that my favorite golf ball is the nike one platinum. I always seem to score well when I use them on the golf course. LOL
[Reply]
longknocker 11:01 AM 08-15-2010
Hey, Larry!:-) I've Played Every New Ball Out There, Brother!:-)
My New Favorite: Pinnacle Exception. Long Distance & Excellent Spin!:-)
[Reply]
md4958 11:24 AM 08-15-2010
I've been playing NXTs/Tours for the last few years. Great price point (I have a habit of losing balls) and great performance. Plus, you can find them just about anywhere. Golf Digest recently gave them Hot List designation for their price level.

Pro Vs are great balls, but at $4 per ball, not the best option for me.
[Reply]
tenbaseg 01:13 PM 08-15-2010
Check out the TopFlite Gamer V2. It's a great all around ball. They can be had for less than $20/doz. and can get the job done.
[Reply]
bvilchez 01:16 PM 08-15-2010
I'm new to golf so any golf balls I hit are ok with me. I guess when i finally get my own set of clubs then I'll start to pick and choose the balls as well.
[Reply]
GTsetGO 01:22 PM 08-15-2010
I have taken a liking to the DT Solo as of late. Just a great feeling ball IMO
[Reply]
14holestogie 01:31 PM 08-15-2010
Originally Posted by GTsetGO:
I have taken a liking to the DT Solo as of late. Just a great feeling ball IMO
Living on the course and able to find thousands of balls a year, I can play just about anything for next to nothing save for some sweat and mosquito bites. :-)

I like the Pro V1, but the DT Solo is quite comparable at less than half the cost new. Shot 84 with one this morning, as a matter of fact. :-)
[Reply]
Kreth 01:37 PM 08-15-2010
I lose too many to play a premium ball, so I just go with the cheapest ball I can find that doesn't feel like a rock. Lately I've been bouncing between: Precept Laddie X, Top Flite D2 Feel, and Noodle S2F.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
Montano 01:44 PM 08-15-2010
My balls are always bouncing.... to the left and to the right....... :-)
[Reply]
MedicCook 10:41 PM 08-15-2010
I usually get the Top Flight Straight. They are under $10 a box at WalMart. :-)
[Reply]
kgoings 10:42 AM 08-16-2010
I just started playing, and I purchased the cheapest balls I could find. They happened to be used Pro V1's $9.99 for 15. I have some Nikes and Top Flights that I find on the course. I have only played 4 or 5 times (but I love it!). Yesterday I played and I only lost 1 ball...I just didn't want to go look for it.
[Reply]
jmsremax 10:44 AM 08-16-2010
Originally Posted by md4958:
I've been playing NXTs/Tours for the last few years. Great price point (I have a habit of losing balls) and great performance. Plus, you can find them just about anywhere. Golf Digest recently gave them Hot List designation for their price level.

Pro Vs are great balls, but at $4 per ball, not the best option for me.
I couldn't have said it better myself. NXTs are a great ball for the price and are what I have been using the past 2 seasons.
[Reply]
MedicCook 10:45 AM 08-16-2010
If I find any extra balls while playing I will only use them in the backyard. Golf balls have a limited life and usually are out of shape after a few good drives.
[Reply]
WyGuy 10:49 AM 08-16-2010
I've been playing the Nike Crush for the majority of this season, performs quite well for the price. Occasionally I'll spend the extra and buy a dozen Bridgestone B330-S when I feel the swing is on.
[Reply]
jmsremax 10:53 AM 08-16-2010
Originally Posted by Montano:
My balls are always bouncing.... to the left and to the right....... :-)
Love the AC DC reference :-)
[Reply]
14holestogie 10:53 AM 08-16-2010
Originally Posted by MedicCook:
Golf balls have a limited life and usually are out of shape after a few good drives.
What are you hitting them with? :-)

I don't hit them hard enough to notice any out of round since back in the balata days. I think the newer balls are much more resilient.

Their life is over when they become irretrievably lost. :-)
[Reply]
MedicCook 11:08 AM 08-16-2010
Originally Posted by 14holestogie:
What are you hitting them with? :-)

I don't hit them hard enough to notice any out of round since back in the balata days. I think the newer balls are much more resilient.

Their life is over when they become irretrievably lost. :-)
I hit a lot of trees when I play. :-)
[Reply]
E.J. 11:39 AM 08-16-2010
IMO, of course the $45 a box balls feel better.... But in the end, I play better hitting Bridgestone e6's....
[Reply]
tsolomon 12:13 PM 08-16-2010
I play the Nike Mojo when I can still find them. I might have to pickup a sleeve of the Nike Crush to see how they play.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 4
1 23 > Last »
Up