Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
General Discussion>I need advice about developing this bead thing.
shilala 05:05 PM 02-13-2009
I don't know what to do, and I figure who better to ask than you guys?
This whole bead thing has been both a blessing and a curse.
I simply cannot keep up. I can't make beads fast enough, and I've made so many that I honestly cringe just thinking about having to make them. :-)

I'm kind of torn, really. It's cool that they work so well, and it's cool that everyone loves them, and it's cool that they last forever and all that stuff, but it's just not what I like to do.
I enjoy inventing things. I've done it all my life. I've invented tons of stuff, I even invented a chicken once. Yeah, a chicken. Made a fortune but I spent it all, and gave the rest away. Creating stuff is what I want to be doing and all my spare time is sucked up making beads.

What I'm looking for is ideas about "what's next?"
I'd like to see someone develop the beads and make them more widely and easily available, because they totally kick ass. I don't know thing one about how to do it or how to go about it. I'd far rather a BOTL run with it because I can't imagine it otherwise. I just don't want that BOTL to be me. :-)

Maybe you guys can come up with something that'll serve everyone and I can get back to doing what I do. :-)
[Reply]
G G 05:10 PM 02-13-2009
I have lots of time on my hands. How much time does it take one man to do all you have to do. Do you actually make them from raw product into beads? And I'm sure you would have to be paid. What is your idea for that part, like a royalty thing?
[Reply]
taltos 05:19 PM 02-13-2009
Have you looked into putting a patent on the process and/or product in order to protect yourself? With a patent under your control, you could look to license the process and product to someone who has the plant capacity to make and market them.
[Reply]
Yazzie 05:19 PM 02-13-2009
Scott, you need to find someone who wants to buy your Bead Business or sell your Bead "Recipe" to someone who wants to take it and run....

Or you just need to hire some competent Whore who will work for you making beads....

I think that's pretty much your options......:-)
[Reply]
G G 05:29 PM 02-13-2009
I am competent but that other part I'm not sure about.:-)
[Reply]
groogs 06:08 PM 02-13-2009
Originally Posted by ggainey:
I am competent but that other part I'm not sure about.:-)
Don't sell yourself short.

JK.:-)
[Reply]
GWN 06:17 PM 02-13-2009
you need an intern a la Kramerica.
[Reply]
nozero 06:19 PM 02-13-2009
Hmm, I'd like to hear more about this chicken...:-)

J/K, whatever you do the best to you.
[Reply]
gettysburgfreak 06:21 PM 02-13-2009
I need a career and lots of time, Ill take over for you scott :-)
[Reply]
lightning9191 08:26 PM 02-13-2009
I'd go for either patenting it or keeping the recipe a secret and look for a buyer.
[Reply]
G G 08:31 PM 02-13-2009
Maybe Jon Craputo would buy it. Just kidding.:-)
[Reply]
Smokin Gator 08:38 PM 02-13-2009
Originally Posted by ggainey:
Maybe Jon Craputo would buy it. Just kidding.:-)
:-):-):-)
[Reply]
rrplasencia 11:35 PM 02-13-2009
Originally Posted by Yazzie:
Or you just need to hire some competent Whore who will work for you making beads....
competent manwhore here
[Reply]
Partagaspete 12:06 AM 02-14-2009
First off, I was just thinking the other day "I need some beads, maybe I should buy from Shilala this time and try his product." Second, Patent your idea. Many years ago my dad invented a small automatic fish tank cleaner similar to what is now used in swimming pools and my mom kept telling him to drive down to washington and patent it. Long story short someone else patented a year or so lader and is now richer than shyte. Finally, after you patent it you can subcontract/hire people to do the work or sell teh patent outright.

Let me know if you are still taking orders as I was serious about buying some of your product.

T
[Reply]
kaisersozei 08:38 AM 02-14-2009
I concur with the patent recommendation. You definitely want to retain the ownership rights to this invention--we use them to maintain cigar humidifaction, who knows what other application they might have.

Then you can pursue a small scale manufacturer if you want to divorce yourself from the production process.:-)
[Reply]
s15driftking 08:42 AM 02-14-2009
Patent first, loan second, Third = call a small business development firm and a lawyer.

Make some dollars!
[Reply]
shilala 09:06 AM 02-14-2009
Originally Posted by s15driftking:
Patent first, loan second, Third = call a small business development firm and a lawyer.

Make some dollars!
The first part is exactly what I DON'T want to do. I'd rather be shot in the face. That'd be less painful.
Dollars are nice, but it's not even close to the top of what I'd like to see happen.
[Reply]
mi2az 09:18 AM 02-14-2009
Scott, What exactly would you like to see happen ?

The above suggestions all seem great to me as well. If this is using up all your free time, you need to part with it. Selling your bead business or simply put a patent on them would be a direction to go. I am sure there are other useful applications for the beads and the market would make that decision.
[Reply]
shilala 09:26 AM 02-14-2009
Originally Posted by mi2az:
Scott, What exactly would you like to see happen ?

The above suggestions all seem great to me as well. If this is using up all your free time, you need to part with it. Selling your bead business or simply put a patent on them would be a direction to go. I am sure there are other useful applications for the beads and the market would make that decision.
You're right Marty, all excellent suggestions. I'm really glad I made this thread, it's been a huge help.
I'm still not at all sure about the direction "exactly", but because of everyone's suggestions I can see a couple avenues that I never saw before. That's helping me make up my mind about the "exactly". :-)
It's all great input and this is the only place I could imagine getting it. :-)
[Reply]
Snake Hips 10:14 AM 02-14-2009
If you don't want to patent it, then I'm sure you could just sell the process to some enterprising capitalist, one of the proclaimed manwhores above or some already-established company in the business, like Xikar. That'd be less work than a patent, it'd get it off your hands relatively quickly and it would keep the great product available for us. Or you could give it to me and I'll sell it :-)
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up