Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Good Eats>Aged cheese?
bighairlogo 10:59 AM 01-26-2014
My fiance is lactose intolerant and we have recently discovered that aged cheese has very little lactose in it. My question is where can I buy aged cheeses? I have checked all the local supermarkets and they don't carry any.
[Reply]
markem 11:01 AM 01-26-2014
Age your own. If you have Tillamook in your area, look for the black label.
[Reply]
bighairlogo 11:07 AM 01-26-2014
I'll have to look into aging my own, no Tillamook in my area
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 12:05 PM 01-26-2014
How aged are you talking? I know some supermarkets carry some aged cheeses, but your best bet is to look at specialty food shops.
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 12:09 PM 01-26-2014
This place is near me and carries all sorts of cheese, and does ship. http://www.zingermans.com/Category.a...tegory=cheeses

Prices are kinda high, but their quality/selection is worth the occasional splurge.
[Reply]
bighairlogo 12:11 PM 01-26-2014
From what I have read it needs to be aged until it has a hard texture so that as much of the whey is gone as possible
[Reply]
bighairlogo 12:13 PM 01-26-2014
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13:
This place is near me and carries all sorts of cheese, and does ship. http://www.zingermans.com/Category.a...tegory=cheeses

Prices are kinda high, but their quality/selection is worth the occasional splurge.
Thanks for the link, I'll look into them
[Reply]
SvilleKid 01:50 PM 01-26-2014
humbirdcheese.com Ran across them on a scouting trip to the boundary waters. They ship, and I've purchased from them for years. They have a full range of cheeses and aged cheeses.
[Reply]
Felixcigar 12:57 PM 01-27-2014
I have found that Lactaid Tablets are very effective and allow a number of family members to enjoy dairy products that they would otherwise have to avoid.
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 08:00 PM 01-27-2014
Originally Posted by Felixcigar:
I have found that Lactaid Tablets are very effective and allow a number of family members to enjoy dairy products that they would otherwise have to avoid.
:-)
[Reply]
RevSmoke 08:35 PM 01-27-2014
If you call this place, you can order a 10 year old cheddar if you call them. There is some 5-year cheddar there on the website that you can order.

http://www.dupontcheeseinc.com/index.html

There 10-yr old and 5-yr are astounding cheeses too.

Peace of the Lord be with you.
[Reply]
bighairlogo 08:50 PM 01-27-2014
Thanks everyone for the info!
[Reply]
emopunker2004 09:41 PM 01-27-2014
#9 on this page
http://www.cabotcheese.coop/pages/pr..._ten_facts.php

Seems like most Cheddars that are aged at all should not cause any problems.
[Reply]
zmancbr 10:42 AM 02-09-2014
How aged does it need to be? Honestly Costco sells quite a few good cheeses at better than market prices. 3 year aged cheddar, aged asiago, parm regiano, etc. Just depends on what they carry on any given day.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
357 03:10 PM 02-19-2014
I've become somewhat lactose intolerant in the past two years. However, I regularly eat sharp cheddar in meals and even sliced as a snack and I've had no issues with it. :-)
[Reply]
JamesDO 04:23 AM 02-25-2014
Originally Posted by bighairlogo:
My fiance is lactose intolerant and we have recently discovered that aged cheese has very little lactose in it. My question is where can I buy aged cheeses? I have checked all the local supermarkets and they don't carry any.
Haven't heard of this before. We talking years of aging till they go hard? And what does it taste like then??
[Reply]
Tredegar 05:07 PM 03-31-2014
Try www.carrvalleycheese.com They are awesome, they deliver and taste great.
[Reply]
Django 01:09 AM 04-01-2014
Originally Posted by JamesDO:
Haven't heard of this before. We talking years of aging till they go hard? And what does it taste like then??
I was recently diagnosed with lactose intolerance. A friend of my wife is also lactose intolerant and indeed mentioned that old cheese could be eaten with no or less problems. Dutch cheese (i.e. Gouda cheese and such) is considered old with 10 to 12 months of aging. Anything older than that is considered aged cheese in the Netherlands.

My body seems okay with regular old cheese (if not eaten by the pounds ofcourse).
[Reply]
Django 01:41 AM 04-01-2014
To late to edit:

Lactose in Dutch cheese (and other 'hard' cheeses) is broken down into lactic acids during the riping/aging process. After how many months the lactose level is no longer causing discomfort, depends on the severity of ones intolerance.

Lactic acids are in turn good for lactose intolerance. As it stimulates lactase activity.
[Reply]
czerbe 07:51 AM 04-01-2014
Farmers Market!
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up