Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 260 of 270
« First < 160210250258259260 261262 > Last »
Good Eats>What's in your smoker?
jonumberone 04:20 AM 08-23-2018
Care to share the pricing on the ton of pellets?
Maybe we can split a pallet?
Just bring my half when you drop off the Lang.
[Reply]
T.G 06:41 AM 08-23-2018
Sure. Last time I split a 1-ton order with another person in August of 2016, each of us took 1000lbs of pellets, the costs came out at:
$9.90 per 40lb bag of standard pellets
$6.80 per 20lb bag of specialty pellets
$10/person group buy coordination fee

I believe they ship from Wisconsin. Shipping and delivery in our case worked out to $120/person to have it brought to a commercial location in Northern CA that had a forklift. Obviously transport distance plays a factor here. If you want to set it up to have everyone on the GB meet at the shipping depot, then you can cut the transport costs a bit more. If you want a residential address and/or having lift-gate service would increase the cost by some amount.

So yeah, I walked out of there with 1000 lbs (21 x 40#, 8 x 20#) delivered to a friend's brewery (he has a forklift) less than 2 miles from my house for $392. Which puts my averaged cost at a mere $15.68 per 40-lb bag.

If you want to collect the money, then everyone saves the $10 coordination fee.

They do partial pallets also, starting at quarter ton, although the cost per bag goes up. IIRC, when I looked into this on my first order in 2015, I think it 2/3 of a ton was the same cost as a full ton due to higher bag cost and lower transport at the time.

https://bbqpelletsonline.com/
Look under "Get Quotes" and they'll run the numbers for you.

If you don't have anyone to split with at the time and you want the bulk pricing of a larger order, just tell them and they will try and find people in your area to jump in on the order.
[Reply]
Steve 02:56 PM 10-13-2018
So, I'm thinking about going over to the dark side. I know several on here have and use Treagers, but it is unexplored territory for me as I am a stick-burner guy from way back. I need to replace the old gas grill, and was thinking about a pellet burner for the deck to give me some flexibility. How do these guys work for "grilling" steaks, burgers, chicken, etc.? I know they are pretty good at smoking/BBQing, but how long does it take them to get up to temp to sear a steak and how much fuel do they eat doing it? I guess I am looking for the pros and cons of picking one up.

Also, this would be on my wood deck. My gas grill I don't really worry about, but with a pellet burner, should I?

Thanks in advance.
[Reply]
T.G 06:39 PM 10-13-2018
Originally Posted by Steve:
How do these guys work for "grilling" steaks, burgers, chicken, etc.?
Speaking about low-mid end units (which the Traeger falls under) only:

They suck at it. Good smoke ovens, **** grills.

If you get one that has a sliding diffuser over the firepot that allows direct fire to the grate, then it might be ok as long as you like cooking your food with a blowtorch.

Don't get me wrong, I have one. Burned probably a ton and half or more of pellets in it since I bought it 2 or 3 years ago. So much so that the controller is worn out, all the detents on the temp dial are shot. Does great for what it is, which is a smoke oven. Can't sear for ****all though.

I've been debating what I might buy to replace this unit when it dies, another pellet grill is not at the top of the list. Don't get me wrong, I love the convenience, but, I'm mixed overall on it's value.
[Reply]
Steve 03:19 PM 10-14-2018
Thanks Adam, that's kind of what I was thinking after seeing a couple of videos about them.
[Reply]
Porch Dweller 05:55 PM 10-22-2018
Beer-marinated, smoked tri-tip.

After getting some smoke:

Reverse sear:

Ready to eat:
[Reply]
kydsid 07:42 AM 10-23-2018
Originally Posted by Steve:
So, I'm thinking about going over to the dark side. I know several on here have and use Treagers, but it is unexplored territory for me as I am a stick-burner guy from way back. I need to replace the old gas grill, and was thinking about a pellet burner for the deck to give me some flexibility. How do these guys work for "grilling" steaks, burgers, chicken, etc.? I know they are pretty good at smoking/BBQing, but how long does it take them to get up to temp to sear a steak and how much fuel do they eat doing it? I guess I am looking for the pros and cons of picking one up.

Also, this would be on my wood deck. My gas grill I don't really worry about, but with a pellet burner, should I?

Thanks in advance.

Big Green Egg (ceramic cooker) or another gas grill if it's truly for quick grilling. About the only thin a BGE can't do is a quick start. Don't get me wrong I can cook on it faster than other charcoal grills for a couple reasons but not as fast as a gas grill.

But temp range? fugghedaboutit. 200 to over 1000 not a problem. Just watch them eyebrows when peeking at a pizze rolling at 900 degress. :-)
[Reply]
CigarNut 09:48 AM 10-23-2018
I love my Kamado Joe ceramic cooker — similar to the BGE. Like Jason said, not as fast on the start up as gas, but is excellent otherwise and no fussing with tanks :-)
[Reply]
ChicagoWhiteSox 09:40 PM 01-05-2019
Did a couple Boston butts in the last few months on the smoker. Will try to get some pictures posted
[Reply]
E.J. 08:16 PM 06-30-2019
New grill grates for the Yoder Kick Tail!!! So pleased with the results of them and the 2 piece diffuser.
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 07:09 PM 09-01-2019
Did a suckling pig on my old offset smoker yesterday. Was 18lbs. Seasoned the cavity and injected with apple juice missed with some more rub. Used a mix of maple and cherry. Ran the smoker around avg temp of 250° for 7.5 hours. Got the front shoulder to 186°, just shy of the 190 I wanted. But had to pull it, cause the other food we were cooking was done. Still pulled good. Was tender, juicy, delicious. :-)
Attached: 8CB188E7-EB2C-49BF-BE96-ED7FAAF33777.jpg (24.5 KB) 
[Reply]
T.G 07:40 PM 09-01-2019
That skin looks incredible, Bob. Like, fvcking perfect....
[Reply]
kydsid 05:34 AM 09-02-2019
Was to be brisket go on today. Sadly somehow didn't get the fridge closed last night when I put it back after prep.

Woke up this morning to an internal temp of 52 deg. Spent all night above 40 then some.

Into the trash went a 10 lb prime brisket. Sad sad day.
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 06:45 AM 09-02-2019
That seriously blows Jason.
[Reply]
icehog3 07:42 AM 09-02-2019
Bummer, Jason. Hope Plan B is a good one.
[Reply]
markem 08:36 AM 09-02-2019
Serious bummer, Jason.
[Reply]
Porch Dweller 11:28 AM 09-02-2019
Originally Posted by kydsid:
Was to be brisket go on today. Sadly somehow didn't get the fridge closed last night when I put it back after prep.

Woke up this morning to an internal temp of 52 deg. Spent all night above 40 then some.

Into the trash went a 10 lb prime brisket. Sad sad day.
[Reply]
T.G 12:11 AM 12-28-2019
FWIW... was at Home Depot earlier and noticed they had Traeger Eastwood 22's model # TFB42DVB on clearance for $399. Originally $699. Knowing how Taeger is with their pricing, I wouldn't be surprised if this is under cost. Appears to be your average "Lil' Tex" sized grill (570 cu in range)
[Reply]
T.G 08:24 AM 12-28-2019
Here's the SKU - 34868 92065

Check your local store or call around if you're interested, that in-store clearance price is at least through NorCal right now, possibly nationwide. It is last generation's model (has a dial) so it's getting pushed out the door.
[Reply]
kydsid 12:00 PM 12-28-2019
Wife got me a kick Ash basket and can from Ceramic Grill Store for Christmas. Top to bottom of the egg is now aftermarket from CGS. Love their products, it's how the egg should come from factory.

[Reply]
Page 260 of 270
« First < 160210250258259260 261262 > Last »
Up