Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 13 of 270
« First < 3111213 14152363113 > Last »
Good Eats>What's in your smoker?
LooseCard 06:07 PM 03-01-2010
Originally Posted by tuxpuff:
SmokinGators smoked wings again. Didn't have stuff for the dry rub after the cooking so just threw it in some wet hot sauce...not as tasty as the dry but still darn good.

That looks damned good!

I'm not a fan of "un-trimmed" loin-back ribs, but I'd still rip me off a few ribs!
[Reply]
Smokin Gator 06:29 PM 03-01-2010
No pics... but I did some chicken legs tonight... Plowboys Yardbird rub... apple wood, pretty high heat (375) for 2 1/2 hours. Drizzled some 12 Bones Blueberry Chipotle sauce on them. They didn't suck!!
[Reply]
kydsid 07:14 PM 03-01-2010
Was gonna smoke tonight but these 50mph winds put a no go on that. Looks good guys. Makin me hungry.
[Reply]
TheRiddick 07:46 PM 03-01-2010
Originally Posted by kydsid:
Was gonna smoke tonight but these 50mph winds put a no go on that. Looks good guys. Makin me hungry.
Electric smoker.
[Reply]
T.G 10:03 PM 03-01-2010
So I scored a bunch of freshly pruned lemon branches in various sizes earlier today. A few 3" - 4" branches, but most is 1" - 2" stuff. I'd estimate if I cut all the wood into chunks, it would be two or so 5 gal buckets full after trimming off all the leaves and little stuff (the little stuff I saved - an additional better part of a 5 gal bucket there). :-)

Now, ask me next year about this time how this stuff smokes. Maybe all the holes I tore in my hands today trimming these lemon branches down will heal by then too. LOL.

Working on hopefully getting some almond wood in a few weeks too.
[Reply]
TheRiddick 10:34 PM 03-01-2010
Originally Posted by T.G:
So I scored a bunch of freshly pruned lemon branches in various sizes earlier today. A few 3" - 4" branches, but most is 1" - 2" stuff. I'd estimate if I cut all the wood into chunks, it would be two or so 5 gal buckets full after trimming off all the leaves and little stuff (the little stuff I saved - an additional better part of a 5 gal bucket there). :-)

Now, ask me next year about this time how this stuff smokes. Maybe all the holes I tore in my hands today trimming these lemon branches down will heal by then too. LOL.

Working on hopefully getting some almond wood in a few weeks too.
How is walnut tree for smoking wood?
[Reply]
T.G 11:00 PM 03-01-2010
Originally Posted by TheRiddick:
How is walnut tree for smoking wood?
It's fine. Just remember that because it's a hardwood, it's going to have a strong flavor, so apply sparingly. Ideally, mix with a lighter fruit wood to mellow it, like apple, pear, peach, persimmon, etc.

PS: Thanks for the reminder that I need to go hunting for some around here soon.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 04:30 AM 03-02-2010
In France it is the norm to cut off that digit on the chicken wings. Once you start doing it, chicken wings never look the same with the digit on there.
[Reply]
Mr B 09:34 AM 03-03-2010
That looks super tasty Luke. Great Job :-)
[Reply]
tuxpuff 07:40 AM 03-05-2010
Smoked chicken quarters on my rickety kingsford.

[Reply]
kydsid 08:54 AM 03-05-2010
What is the yam for?
[Reply]
T.G 09:22 AM 03-05-2010
Originally Posted by kydsid:
What is the yam for?
I'll take "What is dinner?" for $100 Alex.

:-):-)
[Reply]
tuxpuff 09:28 AM 03-05-2010
I'll take "What is dinner?" for $100 Alex.

:-):-)
*ding* *ding* *ding* we have a winner! :-)
[Reply]
T.G 12:57 AM 03-10-2010
Wanted a chicken cesar salad this just past sunday...

(photo kind of sucks - cheap digital camera doesn't focus well in low light)

Two chicken breasts cooked at high heat (abt 300F lid temp) for about 1h-20m. Apple, a bit of cherry and a single small piece of hickory.
[Reply]
nater 06:33 AM 03-10-2010
No pics, but cold smoked some jerky...
[Reply]
tuxpuff 10:15 AM 03-10-2010
Wanted a chicken cesar salad this just past sunday...

(photo kind of sucks - cheap digital camera doesn't focus well in low light)

Two chicken breasts cooked at high heat (abt 300F lid temp) for about 1h-20m. Apple, a bit of cherry and a single small piece of hickory.
You don't have any problem with them drying out at all? I've never smoked just breasts.
[Reply]
ChrisRich 10:22 AM 03-10-2010
Damn. I made the mistake of reading this thread before eating breakfast.

I think I'm going to passout now. :-)
[Reply]
T.G 11:20 AM 03-10-2010
You don't have any problem with them drying out at all? I've never smoked just breasts.
Funny you ask that.

Not really sure that 300F lid temp (midway up the lid) is really smoking so much as it is a a low heat indirect grilling with a lot of smoke, but regardless...

This was kind of a last minute thing, so I didn't brine the breasts.

Both breasts were pulled off the smoker at the same time.

The breast on the right, which, as you can see had the breast meat almost parallel to the firebrick & fire pit area, was at 165F or 166F when I pulled it.

The breast on the left, which was the smaller of the two, went down on the grate a tad further back and at an angle to the firebrick, with the thickest part of the breast meat furthest away from the heat source. It only hit 160F when I pulled it.

USDA recommends 165F for doneness on chicken breasts.

The one on the left was succulently juicy. The one on the right was typical restaurant moisture levels - the meat was low moisture, you could cut it and it would have moisture, but not much of any running juices and only a slight sheen to the meat. Dry, but not dried out, if that makes any sense.

Since they were going in a salad, it wasn't a big deal. Well, actually, only the one on the right went into a salad. The one on the left was too good to cover with dressing.

Next time I use unbrined chicken, I'm going to place them a bit differently, squared up to the firebrick at the same point as the front right corner of the left breast, this still allows the radiant heat browning, but not quite as much heat directly onto the flesh and shoot for 160-162F internal.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 12:41 PM 03-10-2010
I can't say I have ever cooked a dry chicken on the smoker. The most difficult feat is crispy skin and too much smoke.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 12:43 PM 03-10-2010
Smoked chicken quarters on my rickety kingsford.

Do you remove the thigh bone when cooking the quarters? I do it and it makes one meaty drumbstick.
[Reply]
Page 13 of 270
« First < 3111213 14152363113 > Last »
Up