Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Good Eats>Big Green Egg owners
blugill 10:47 AM 04-23-2014
The time is just about breaking down the muscle fibers to make it more tender.
It has never seemed like a trade off to me, increasing the temps up to about 270-285 and knocking off a few hours is worth it to me, I wrap it and let is set for another hour or two once it reaches the desired temperature.
I know a couple of competition BBQ teams that cook at over 400 and do it in about three hours and then wrap it and let it set for three or four hours depending on how the cook went.
I don't like that though, there's a huge difference in what you'd cook for yourself in your yard and what you'd turn into the judges in a contest.
[Reply]
tupacboy 10:48 AM 04-23-2014
Originally Posted by markem:
I do brisket at 225 or below. On the egghead forum, I've learned about the turbo method. Did a pork butt this past week that way and may try the brisket like that as well. I have always been a low and slow guy but am willing to try new things.

what's this turbo method?
[Reply]
markem 10:54 AM 04-23-2014
Originally Posted by tupacboy:
what's this turbo method?
Turbo is cooking at a higher temp for a shorter time. The egghead forum (eggheadforum.com) has lots of examples of how to turbo different cuts of meat at different temps. Lots and lots (and lots and lots) of opinions on this topic.
[Reply]
kydsid 02:13 PM 04-23-2014
I duuno about the whole turbo thing on egghead forum. I've seen the posts though.

I can tell you though I've been making brisket for a long time and I stopped cooking it at 225 or below a long time ago. Most of my brisket it 225-275 until the meat hits the stall point and then I raise the temp to 325-350. Not had a complaint from anyone yet. :-)

Enjoy your experiments Markem. One of the best parts of BBQin :-)
[Reply]
Steve 06:19 AM 04-24-2014
Originally Posted by kydsid:
I duuno about the whole turbo thing on egghead forum. I've seen the posts though.

I can tell you though I've been making brisket for a long time and I stopped cooking it at 225 or below a long time ago. Most of my brisket it 225-275 until the meat hits the stall point and then I raise the temp to 325-350. Not had a complaint from anyone yet. :-)

Enjoy your experiments Markem. One of the best parts of BBQin :-)
True this! Some of my best discoveries have been thru experiments gone wild :-)

And most of what I do is around 235-250 these days...
[Reply]
OLS 07:20 AM 04-24-2014
Originally Posted by kydsid:
Not had a complaint from anyone yet. :-)
WELL.....I understand the COWS are no fans.
[Reply]
Steve 07:26 AM 04-24-2014
Originally Posted by OLS:
WELL.....I understand the COWS are no fans.
Cows are BEGGING to curl up in my smoker...:-)
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up