Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Cain Habano 550
Ratters 09:35 PM 02-26-2010
Cigar: Cain Habano
Wrapper: Nicaraguan Habano
Binder: Nicaragua
Filler: Nicaragua
Vitola: Robusto 5.7x50
Price: Was a bit over eight bucks at my local shop. Better prices found online.

Setting: Garage, about 55 degrees out, 6:30pm, having a Peach Snapple.

Pre-light: The cigar has a nice chocolatey brown wrapper with a few prominent veins. The cigar is fairly lumpy with lots of firm and soft spots. The wrapper and foot have a nice barnyard smell with a touch of spice. The cap cut easily using the Cranial Screwtop Method. The cold draw had a nice slight resistance but with less flavor than I was expecting from the smell.

First Third: The cigar lit up pretty easily, but the body of the smoke is very thin. The initial flavors are a bit charry, but that might come from my bad lighting habits. The other flavors are earthy with a touch of spice. Though not appearing to be very oily, the cigar leaves an oily feeling on the lips as you smoke it. As I get about an inch in, the body of the smoke starts to pick up. The burn line was pretty wonky off the bat so I gave it a bit of a touchup. The finish is short with a bit of bitterness and spice, but not necessarily bad. The burn continues to be a bit wonky, but the ash is nice and tight and compact.

Second Third: Well, complexity is not this cigars strong suit. The flavors are pretty much the same earthy/charry ones from the first third, though it's not a bad flavor. The body continues to be just on the light side of medium. I know these are supposed to be a strong stick, but the vitamin N doesn't seem to be hitting yet. As I get past the halfway point to body really picks up, but other than that not much new happening. Burn continues a bit wonky, but self correcting.

Final Third: Well, still more of the same but the body really picked up. Starting to feel the strength a bit too. The char taste to the smoke has faded a bit, and it's just earthy. The burn stayed pretty straight for the final third.

Final Thoughts: Well, overall it was a pretty decent cigar. I think it would do really well with some time on it. I'm not feeling the urge to rush out and get more, but would pick some up if they popped up on Joe.

Liked it: It was OK
Recommend: Sure
Buy again: Maybe at joe prices
[Reply]
kelmac07 09:42 PM 02-26-2010
Nice review...these are good, I prefer the maduro version of this stick (WOW...what a shock!!). :-)
[Reply]
Kreth 09:45 PM 02-26-2010
I don't get the Peach Snapple thing at all, but another nice review. :-)
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
darkninja67 09:54 PM 02-26-2010
Nice review. I think I prefer the maduro version just a tad over the habano. Need to try the F
[Reply]
Darrell 09:56 PM 02-26-2010
Originally Posted by Kreth:
Posted via Mobile Device
He was thirsty?
[Reply]
MedicCook 10:07 PM 02-26-2010
Thanks for the review.
[Reply]
elderboy02 10:11 PM 02-26-2010
Thank you for the review!
[Reply]
G G 10:24 PM 02-26-2010
Nice review, thanks.:-)
[Reply]
theonlybear4CORT 12:07 AM 02-27-2010
Posted via Mobile Device
The man likes Snapple Image
[Reply]
Ratters 03:23 AM 02-27-2010
That I do Mike, that I do.
[Reply]
Kreth 10:19 AM 02-27-2010
Originally Posted by Darrell:
He was thirsty?
It was a joke, as in I don't get the pairing.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
Darrell 02:51 PM 02-27-2010
It was a joke, as in I don't get the pairing.
Posted via Mobile Device
I know, just razzing ya. :-)
[Reply]
Ratters 02:52 PM 02-27-2010
It actually pairs quite well with cigars, try it sometime.
[Reply]
Kreth 05:11 PM 02-27-2010
Originally Posted by Ratters:
It actually pairs quite well with cigars, try it sometime.
I might do that. I have yet to find something better than Barq's, though.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
Razorhog 05:18 PM 02-27-2010
I might do that. I have yet to find something better than Barq's, though.
Posted via Mobile Device
Nice review. I expected it to have more complexity. This thread also reminds me that I need to pick up some Barqs rootbeer and try Kreth's method :-)
[Reply]
Ratters 10:47 PM 02-27-2010
Barq's is my usual compliment to a cigar.
[Reply]
NickyTeen 02:00 PM 02-28-2010
Nice review Steve! I have found these kinda boring. Peach snapple :-)
[Reply]
Bax 04:05 PM 03-07-2010
Just tried one from a box pass and I have to give it a :-). Not to my tastes I'm affraid.
[Reply]
Uflbassin 10:37 PM 03-07-2010
You just can't beat Dr. Pepper IMO, although root beer is up there on the list as well.
[Reply]
Up