Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Gurkha legend robusto
Don Fernando 03:07 AM 02-11-2010
I got this Gurkha from a Dutch botl at a herf that I hosted. Now I am not a Gurkha fan, only liked the Master Select so far and didn't like any other Gurkha I smoked, but I gave it a try, who knows this blend would fit my palate.

The cigar, made from Dominican filler, Cameroon binder with a Connecticut broadleaf wrapper looks nice, but looks are never the problem with Gurkha. The cigar was wrapped in Cellophane and once released from its jacket I could smell a quite strong aroma of wood and barnyard. The wrapper is silky and dark. The construction feels a bit soft. The predraw however, is just like it should be and I can taste raisin.

I can taste some musty wood which burns a little in my mouth. After an inch the musty flavor is gone but I still have a burning sensation on my tongue.

At a third I get a weird chocolate taste which disappeared again soon just to be replaced by a burned coffee flavor. At 2/3rd the burning sensation on my tongue has gone. I can taste some wood with chocolate. Near the end both flavors are replaced by coffee.

I get a reasonable amount of smoke, which is quite thin. The ash is light gray and firm. The draw is good and the burn is ok, I had to correct once.

Would I buy this cigar again? No, Gurkha is one of those brands that doesn't seem to do it for me.

Appearance: 8 / 10
Construction: 7 / 10
Draw: 7 / 10
Burn: 7 / 10
Smoke & ash: 7 / 10
Aroma first part: 6 / 10
Aroma second part: 5 / 10
Aroma third part: 6 / 10
[Reply]
bishjd123 10:40 AM 03-13-2010
I had one of these last night and it's a cigar that I'd consider "alright," but nothing to write home about. It also left me with sort of a dry aftertaste. It was my first Gurkha, so I don't really know if the dry effect was a signature of the brand or not.
[Reply]
tobii3 10:45 AM 03-13-2010
Robusto? ROBUSTO?

um...that don't look like no 'busto I have EVER seen!!

:-)
[Reply]
Up