Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>Fuente Experts: Can You ID This Cigar?
ColdCuts 09:13 AM 07-07-2014

I bought this cigar at the Manhattan Nat Sherman two Christmases ago. I remember standing with the clerk in the humidor. I asked him if he had any rare Fuentes. He pointed out some BTLs, of which I bought one, and this cigar. But for the life of me I can't remember what he said it was.

On my way to a BBQ yesterday, pawing around in my humidor, this mystery single caught my eye. Using my trusty ol' Club Stogie Ring Gauge Guide, I figured this cigar to be 7.5 inches by 44 ring. You can't see it in the pics, but the cap was finished in a tiny pigtail. The band says Gran Reserva, but the bottom border of the band is black instead of the usual green. You can see it was cedar wrapped with a black ribbon around the foot.

That's a nickel in the frame as a size reference.

Anybody know what cigar it was that I smoked? :-)
[Reply]
T.G 09:21 AM 07-07-2014
Looks like a Don Carlos lancero. :-)
[Reply]
stearns 09:21 AM 07-07-2014
My first guess is a don carlos lancero, but hopefully somebody else can confirm. how was it?
[Reply]
pektel 09:31 AM 07-07-2014
Vote #3 for Don Carlos Lancero. Though I thought you could only buy those at Casa Fuente in Vegas.
[Reply]
Zane 09:34 AM 07-07-2014
I am not one to link to another forum but I found this via google.

Pretty awesome Fuente guide.

http://www.cigarpass.com/forums/topi...s-x-reference/
[Reply]
czerbe 09:58 AM 07-07-2014
+4
[Reply]
T.G 10:00 AM 07-07-2014
Originally Posted by pektel:
Vote #3 for Don Carlos Lancero. Though I thought you could only buy those at Casa Fuente in Vegas.
I don't know if that is true or not anymore, but even if that is still the case, there are lots of ways that other shops might have ended up with a few singles to sell. Trade, gift, promo sample, buy and resell...
[Reply]
2GuysSmokeShop 11:08 AM 07-07-2014
I smoked one of these on Friday the shop owners humidor, what an awesome smoke.
[Reply]
ColdCuts 04:29 PM 07-07-2014
Thanks, everyone. You've convinced me it was a Don Carlos Lancero. And Ben, since you asked, it was great. There were a few dots of mold on the wrapper beneath the cedar like you occasionally find with cedar-wrapped sticks, but I just brushed it aside and fired 'er up. Nice medium-bodied early afternoon cigar producing plenty of smoke with cedar being the predominant flavor. I really enjoyed the length to RG ratio. Burned like a champ all the way to the nub. Took me about an hour and a half to smoke. I'd happily smoke another.
[Reply]
RobR1205 05:03 PM 07-07-2014
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I do not believe this is a Don Carlos, as the DC line does not have a cedar casing, nor comes in a lancero format. I think this is a Sun Grown lancero. Both the SG and DC lines have the same band.
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 05:35 PM 07-07-2014
Originally Posted by RobR1205:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I do not believe this is a Don Carlos, as the DC line does not have a cedar casing, nor comes in a lancero format. I think this is a Sun Grown lancero. Both the SG and DC lines have the same band.

Correction: :-) This is the Don Carlos lancero "Phantom". A very special release. There is not a Sungrown lancero at all. Still usually only available at Casa Fuete and from Carlito himself. They are available in the special Prometheus gift sets too.

Here's a review. http://www.stogiereview.com/2013/06/...arlos-lancero/
[Reply]
Zane 06:47 PM 07-07-2014
Yeah. Don carlos lanceros are very htf. But they exsist.
[Reply]
RobR1205 09:02 PM 07-07-2014
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan:
Correction: :-) This is the Don Carlos lancero "Phantom". A very special release. There is not a Sungrown lancero at all. Still usually only available at Casa Fuete and from Carlito himself. They are available in the special Prometheus gift sets too.

Here's a review. http://www.stogiereview.com/2013/06/...arlos-lancero/
Originally Posted by Zane:
Yeah. Don carlos lanceros are very htf. But they exsist.
Gotcha, thanks gents. Is there a tell tale sign that distinguishes a DC phantom versus a sungrown lancero? I have one in my humi and just wanna make sure before I smoke it :-)
[Reply]
T.G 09:07 PM 07-07-2014
Gotcha, thanks gents. Is there a tell tale sign that distinguishes a DC phantom versus a sungrown lancero? I have one in my humi and just wanna make sure before I smoke it :-)
AFAIK, there is no such thing as a Fuente Sun Grown lancero, so if you have something that looks like what Dave posted and is 7" x 41, it's a DC lancero. If it lacks the cedar, it's old - like 10 years or so.
[Reply]
RobR1205 09:14 PM 07-07-2014
Originally Posted by T.G:
AFAIK, there is no such thing as a Fuente Sun Grown lancero, so if you have something that looks like what Dave posted and is 7" x 41, it's a DC lancero. If it lacks the cedar, it's old - like 10 years or so.
You guys are right. I'm all mixed up! Good news is, I think I'm sitting on one of these and had no idea that it was so special.
[Reply]
pektel 08:27 AM 07-08-2014
The bad news is you haven't smoked it yet.

Every day on the right side of the grass is enough reason to smoke a cigar. I'd much rather say "I've smoked one" than "I have one." Light it up. :-)
[Reply]
pnoon 08:29 AM 07-08-2014

Every day on the right side of the grass is enough reason to smoke a cigar. I'd much rather say "I've smoked one" than "I have one." Light it up. :-)
:-)

Wise words.
[Reply]
RobR1205 09:27 AM 07-08-2014

Well now that I know, I don't think it's going to survive much longer... :-)
[Reply]
ColdCuts 09:59 AM 07-08-2014
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan:
This is the Don Carlos lancero "Phantom". A very special release. Still usually only available at Casa Fuete and from Carlito himself. They are available in the special Prometheus gift sets too.
Well, dang. Had I known they're that special I'd have picked up more than one. That cigar really turned me on to lanceros. After all these years, that may have been my first. It won't be my last if I have anything to say about it. :-)
[Reply]
Up