Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Entertainment>Transformation of music
gravelman 10:35 PM 02-18-2011
Originally Posted by Mr.Erskine:
If you want to see a transformation in music, you should expand the window that you're looking at. Start in the Baroque Era, and work your way forward
Well my initial intent was to look at the immediate transformation rather than the overall progression. Don't get me wrong, I do have an appreciation for classical as well (I play the double bass in my free time), but I was simply more excited about where music is heading.

Take for instance the Grammy's the other night...people haven't heard real music in a performance like Mumford and Sons and the Avett Brothers for awhile. It seems as though everything has been autotuned to the max, and hopefully we are getting away from that trend.
[Reply]
Mr.Erskine 08:34 AM 02-19-2011
Originally Posted by gravelman:
Well my initial intent was to look at the immediate transformation rather than the overall progression. Don't get me wrong, I do have an appreciation for classical as well (I play the double bass in my free time), but I was simply more excited about where music is heading.

Take for instance the Grammy's the other night...people haven't heard real music in a performance like Mumford and Sons and the Avett Brothers for awhile. It seems as though everything has been autotuned to the max, and hopefully we are getting away from that trend.
Unfortunately, the trend that I have seen is redoing what has already been done ad nauseum. But, I remain open-minded. (I have to as a musician, director, and music teacher.)
[Reply]
LasciviousXXX 01:41 PM 04-03-2011
I listen to lots of different types of music in many different genres. If you're looking for something new and good I recommend:

Kurt Vile "Smoke Ring for my Halo" - Great singer/songwriter in the indie rock genre. Lots of soul and depth in this acoustic offering
Blut Aus Nord "777 Sect" - Excellent new Doom/Death metal offering
The Black Keys "Brothers" - One of my favorite albums from 2010. Rockin' Blues!
Airs & Lunaire "Split" - A refreshing take on both experimental Black Metal and Shoegaze. It took me by surprise
The Gaslight Anthem "American Slang" - A great American rock band with elements of punk. Basically take Springsteen and mix in the Clash and you've got The Gaslight Anthem
Before the Dawn "Deathstar Rising" - One of the best Death Metal albums to be released so far in 2011
The Cave Singers "No Witch" - Really good alternative folk mixed w/ Psychedelic rock
E.S. Posthumus "Makara" - Epic Orchestral release from this amazing duo
Adele "21" - Fantastic Indie Soul release from the best thing to come out of the UK in the past few years

These were all released late 2010 to early 2011 so they're all fairly recent. Give them a listen and see if any resonate with you :-)
[Reply]
Apoco 02:52 PM 04-03-2011
LCD SoundSystem played their final show last night. Makes me sad :-)

And E.S. Posthumus is freaking awesome :-)
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
hammondc 12:49 PM 06-03-2011
Originally Posted by LasciviousXXX:

BAM!!! I checked them out a couple months back on your suggestion. Took me the last week or so to remember who they were and where I heard about them. bookmarked.
[Reply]
LasciviousXXX 01:46 PM 06-03-2011
Originally Posted by hammondc:
BAM!!! I checked them out a couple months back on your suggestion. Took me the last week or so to remember who they were and where I heard about them. bookmarked.
Fantastic! Glad you enjoyed them.

Some other really good new releases that have been released so far in 2011:

And So I Watch You From Afar "Gangs" - excelllent post-rock album with great instrumentals
Fleet Foxes "Helplesness Blues" - groove influenced folk/indie. Just inspiring
Key Losers "California Lite" - Classic American lo-fi with a lead singer who's smokey sultry voice melts me.
Amon Amarth "Surtur Rising" - another fantastic offering from this Viking Metal band from Sweden. Epic
Alestorm "Back through Time" - Power metal featuring great riffs and punk influenced choruses.
The Civil Wars "Live @ SxSW" - This indie-folk band had me hooked on the first song. Their live rendition of Disarm is probably the best thing I've heard this year. Imagine anguish and regret embodied in music form and you've got their performance of this Smashing Pumpkins song.
[Reply]
LasciviousXXX 01:55 PM 06-03-2011
Oh, forgot:

Deep Dark Robot "8 Songs About a Girl" - Linda Perry's (4 non Blondes) new album about a new lover. There's a reason she's been such a successful songwriter for the past 2 decades. The girl has range.
Black Label Society "The Song Remains Not the Same" - Zakk Wylde's acoustic offering. His best album since The Blessed Hellride
Enslaved "Axioma Ethica Odini" - Pure F'n amazingness! Metal's best album so far this year
[Reply]
Apoco 08:08 AM 06-06-2011
This Will Destroy You "Tunnel Blanket" - Post-rock instrumentals. While this album is WAY darker than their previous albums, it still holds up fantastically well.
And So I Watch You From Afar "Gangs" - LasciviousXXX mentioned this, and it is EASILY my favorite album of the year. Great pick - been jamming to it for the last few weeks.
Low "C'mon" - Really simple music. Low is a fantastic group with quite a few albums under their belt, so there is always something to listen to with them.

I believe that all of these are 2011 releases as well.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
357 12:23 PM 06-06-2011
I think pop music used to be something most people liked. Now it is exclusively marketed towards tweens. Therefore it doesn't have to include anything that even resembles a singer or include actual musical talent. It just has to be catchy and/or launched by a show that airs on the Disney Channel, Nickelodeon, etc.

I know there are knocks on country music too, but I've found most of what I like that is new is in the country genre. I guess I relate to it more. Most of the artists can sing, and a lot of them write their own stuff. Still, I love old blues, classic rock, hard rock, some metal, classical, jazz (not contemporary), and even a few select raps songs; so pretty much a little of everything. But, today's pop music, by-en-large is CRAP. Very little of today's "rock" is even palatable. To me, most of it sounds like Disturbed wannabes.

Just my :-)
[Reply]
DBall 12:50 PM 06-06-2011
Originally Posted by LasciviousXXX:
I listen to lots of different types of music in many different genres. If you're looking for something new and good I recommend:

Kurt Vile "Smoke Ring for my Halo" - Great singer/songwriter in the indie rock genre. Lots of soul and depth in this acoustic offering
Blut Aus Nord "777 Sect" - Excellent new Doom/Death metal offering
The Black Keys "Brothers" - One of my favorite albums from 2010. Rockin' Blues!
Airs & Lunaire "Split" - A refreshing take on both experimental Black Metal and Shoegaze. It took me by surprise
The Gaslight Anthem "American Slang" - A great American rock band with elements of punk. Basically take Springsteen and mix in the Clash and you've got The Gaslight Anthem
Before the Dawn "Deathstar Rising" - One of the best Death Metal albums to be released so far in 2011
The Cave Singers "No Witch" - Really good alternative folk mixed w/ Psychedelic rock
Adele "21" - Fantastic Indie Soul release from the best thing to come out of the UK in the past few years

These were all released late 2010 to early 2011 so they're all fairly recent. Give them a listen and see if any resonate with you :-)
Checking out gaslight anthem... I like!
[Reply]
LasciviousXXX 01:11 PM 06-06-2011
Originally Posted by DBall:
Checking out gaslight anthem... I like!
Their best album by far is "The '59 Sound". Check it out! Its always on constant rotation at my place.
[Reply]
Apoco 08:24 PM 07-18-2011
"Animals as Leaders"

The best way that I can describe this is that this group is that they are similar to Dream Theater but without any lyrics. It is fantastic.
[Reply]
76GTFan 08:40 PM 07-18-2011
Led Zeppelin still stamps the prerequisite for the next ground breaking music. Sorry but it hasn't happened yet. Everything else is either pop or cult. Hey opinions are welcome right? LOL.

I have found various genres interesting here or there, but IMHO to call it great music is debatable. Let me try and break my shell and mention something outside of the 60's and 70's.

SRV
Ben Harper
Govt Mule
Derrick Trucks
Radiohead
Cold Play (They are pussies, but talented)
Nickleback (Ha! JK)
Dave Grohl is a mad man
Sublime in their prime
Metallica before Cliff died
March Violets (close friend of mine)

Like I said music is very based on perspective. I think the trade was at its prime before TV and internet were there. Most of these bands now have it easy on building their fan base. Nobody touring like they used to.

You realize that Led Zeppelin toured for the first 2.5 years non stop? Look at old bootlegs and see where the blood, sweat, and tears were. Can't say that about most bands nowadays.
[Reply]
76GTFan 08:42 PM 07-18-2011
Originally Posted by Apoco:
"Animals as Leaders"

The best way that I can describe this is that this group is that they are similar to Dream Theater but without any lyrics. It is fantastic.

Dream Theater is awesome! Check jason Bonham's new band. The new touring rock band. I need to google it, but I think it is "Black Creek Revival"
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up