Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Sports>The beautiful game
markem 08:33 AM 04-02-2015
I like this thread. I'm a rabid soccer fan, but I am so tired of the obvious flops - getting to be too much like American football. Watching soccer on TV is very hard because so much happens off the ball that has a direct impact on how the play of the ball unfolds. Live games are so much better, but you have to learn to see the entire field and pick out what is happening off the ball.

All sports have their problems. Tennis - what's with the constant arguing with the umpire about line calls? It's almost like you are using that to delay the match to get rested ... oh!. What's with this wholesale substituting in hockey? In soccer, you run (none of this mamby-pamby skating chit) for 90 minutes and each team gets, at most, three substitutes and you can't bring that man back on! :-) You get the drift.

On the other hand, I like it and, like my cigars, that's all that matters in the end. The fact that my cigars and love of soccer makes me superior to everyone ... oh, wait, no it doesn't.
[Reply]
timj219 10:31 AM 04-02-2015
If they'd go to a smaller ball and give the players sticks to toss the ball and to smack each other with, I'd watch more.
[Reply]
Remo 10:39 AM 04-02-2015
I just think it's funny that it took a Futbol thread to see a Taki post! :-)…Greeks
[Reply]
markem 10:55 AM 04-02-2015
Originally Posted by timj219:
If they'd go to a smaller ball and give the players sticks to toss the ball and to smack each other with, I'd watch more.
Lacrosse? :-)
[Reply]
shilala 11:00 AM 04-02-2015
Originally Posted by Remo:
I just think it's funny that it took a Futbol thread to see a Taki post! :-)…Greeks
I'm glad you said something, I totally missed it.
Hi, Taki!!! *wave-o*
[Reply]
hotreds 01:18 PM 04-02-2015
I'm grateful that ESPN and them realized that you cannot break for commercials during a game! I remember early on it was truly impossible to watch soccer on tv with all the commercials. I wonder how soon they'll put them back. I'm waiting for baseball to give teams "time-outs" for the sole purpose of having more commercials. As it is, watching football has become almost impossible, and the CBB Tournament likewise. I don't watch basketball other than the final tournament, but I'm sure the commercials are plentiful there as well. It's interesting watching long running shows on Netflix- you really see how more and more time is devoted to commercials! What started as 40 minutes of show a few years later is 35 minutes of show. Soon it'll be evenly divided!
[Reply]
Remo 01:47 PM 04-02-2015
GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLlll llllllllllllllllllll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[Reply]
markem 01:51 PM 04-02-2015
Originally Posted by hotreds:
I'm grateful that ESPN and them realized that you cannot break for commercials during a game! I remember early on it was truly impossible to watch soccer on TV with all the commercials. I wonder how soon they'll put them back.
While I haven't had cable TV for over a year, I did enjoy the fox soccer channel in HD. If I know about a game that is being played for free over the internet (in HD), I'll hook up my laptop to my 60" LCD TV.
[Reply]
nutcracker 01:54 PM 04-02-2015
Originally Posted by markem:
How about HURLING? An Irish sport just shy of all out war. Cross between Lacrosse and field hockey. Wicked. Awesome to watch.
[Reply]
markem 02:08 PM 04-02-2015
Originally Posted by nutcracker:
How about HURLING? An Irish sport just shy of all out war. Cross between Lacrosse and field hockey. Wicked. Awesome to watch.
A great game. It's one of two (rugby being the other) that I do not truly understand but will sit in the stands and watch all day.

btw - just finished the Hamlet Salmones - amazing! :-)
[Reply]
hotreds 02:10 PM 04-02-2015
While I haven't had cable TV for over a year, I did enjoy the fox soccer channel in HD. If I know about a game that is being played for free over the internet (in HD), I'll hook up my laptop to my 60" LCD TV.
I do the same. Cable has so many channels that I never watch. I got Sling TV for mama- it has cooking shows that keep her happy! There used to be places that you could watch just about any game of any sport, but they have been closed down, alas.....
[Reply]
The Poet 02:11 PM 04-02-2015
Hurling is precisely what I do when someone suggests soccer to me. :-)
[Reply]
timj219 03:48 PM 04-02-2015
A great game to play or watch. Nonstop except for the faceoff after a goal. Hurling looks pretty cool too but I've never played or seen a live game.
[Reply]
nutcracker 06:11 PM 04-02-2015
Originally Posted by timj219:
A great game to play or watch. Nonstop except for the faceoff after a goal. Hurling looks pretty cool too but I've never played or seen a live game.
When in Ireland, you have to.
The fans are also all drunk at the game, so the entertainment is doubled.
[Reply]
The Poet 06:14 PM 04-02-2015
When in Ireland, you have to.
The fans are also all drunk at the game, so the entertainment is doubled.
And hence the name "hurling" too.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up