Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Lighter ID?
MurphysLaw 05:30 AM 03-10-2011
I've had this lighter for years now, I'm pretty sure it came in a humidor I purchased off fleabay. I've always liked the style and action of it, and it feels great in my hand, but it has no markings and I haven't seen anything like it elsewhere. If you know what this is, any info would be greatly appreciated! :-) for the crappy cell phone pics

[Reply]
replicant_argent 06:53 AM 03-10-2011
If you disassemble it via the screw on the bottom, you may find mfg info on the tank/insert.
[Reply]
MurphysLaw 08:01 AM 03-10-2011
Just tried that, no luck unfortunately
[Reply]
wayner123 08:25 AM 03-10-2011
I have seen similar lighters at different convenience stores. It looks to be one of those.
[Reply]
MurphysLaw 08:29 AM 03-10-2011
Never would have guessed this lighter as a convenience store buy, it is solid and has worked perfectly for years. This thing has outlasted every torch I've had since, excluding the Xikar I bought a few months ago to keep in the car
[Reply]
OLS 08:41 AM 03-10-2011
Yep, you'd be surprised at what's available at convenience stores. Even more convincing, no real
maker's mark. Flea markets, discount online retailers, convenience stores. They come in a punch
out card rack.
[Reply]
wayner123 08:48 AM 03-10-2011
Originally Posted by MurphysLaw:
Never would have guessed this lighter as a convenience store buy, it is solid and has worked perfectly for years. This thing has outlasted every torch I've had since, excluding the Xikar I bought a few months ago to keep in the car
That just goes to show that not always does more $$ = quality. I have had tiger lighters that work better and have taken MUCH more abuse.
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 09:48 AM 03-10-2011
Yep, it's an el cheapo. A good one. I had one a few years ago as I only buy cheap lighters. That doesn't mean they are not great lighters. Remember, the great Ronson Jet Lite is only $2.50 and it's a tank of a lighter.

I currently have a cheap triple torch that I have had about a year. Got it for $4 can couldn't be happier with it's performance.
[Reply]
MurphysLaw 10:20 AM 03-10-2011
I'm on the lookout for a double or triple torch, last cheapie I bought didn't last a month
[Reply]
OLS 11:35 AM 03-10-2011
Did it fail to continue sparking, or will it just not light? Sometimes the fuel hungry lighters
tend to get so much air in them that they just won't light. I am going to assume though
that you know how and when to purge a fuel tank? And Greg is right, I would never
cap on a lighter for being cheap, lol. I have never owned another kind.
[Reply]
neoflex 11:54 AM 03-10-2011
My most reliable lighters are the cheapo convenience store/gas station lighters. Most of the ones I spend good money on crap out after a year or so while the cheapies go for years and years. I have two triple flames from a gas station that I bought over 4 years ago that are still solid. Meanwhile, I have a drawer full of Xikars that are a year or so old that need to be sent back. Go figure!
[Reply]
SvilleKid 12:16 PM 03-10-2011
Originally Posted by MurphysLaw:
The thing I see about many cheap lighters is that they are made to burn the less-refined (filtered?) Zippo or Ronco butane, and as such, tend NOT to get stopped up as easily as expensive lighters that are picky even on triple filtered butane. I've always gotten much longer life out of my cheap lighters.

The downsize is, since the cheap-Os have larger passages they pump out a lot more fuel, thus making them more expensive to use. But, they can operate on cheap fuel (though I usually use triple filtered anyway, cause that's what I happen to have.)
[Reply]
Dave128 01:04 PM 03-10-2011
Originally Posted by OLS:
Did it fail to continue sparking, or will it just not light? Sometimes the fuel hungry lighters
tend to get so much air in them that they just won't light. I am going to assume though
that you know how and when to purge a fuel tank?
And Greg is right, I would never
cap on a lighter for being cheap, lol. I have never owned another kind.
Please elaborate. I didn't know this was needed.
[Reply]
MurphysLaw 01:07 PM 03-10-2011
Usually the igniters go out on me, and they just quit sparking or they leak and wont hold fluid. I always purge before re-fueling so that's not the issue, just Murphy's Law in full effect...
[Reply]
OLS 01:17 PM 03-10-2011
Originally Posted by Dave128:
Please elaborate. I didn't know this was needed.
I didn't say I KNEW how to do it, lol. Was wondering if others did. :-)
Seriously, and I may be dead wrong, so hopefully someone like Greg will
step up here. To get butane out of a can requires propellant, usually air.
so when you fill up your tank, you get some air, which does not ignite, per
se. So at the end of a tank, before you add the more butane, take a small
screwdriver or a nail and push in the nib a little and let all the air or whatever
is IN THERE come out. It'll usually go PFFTTttttt......and then nothing. Then
fill as normal. NOT to be confused with the last 1/5 of a tank in which there is
usually still a little in there, but showing a low or weak flame. You should turn
up the flame for the next couple lights to get it all out before actually refilling.

But usually a tank that has not been purged properly gives a bit of a stuttery
flame that won't stay lit, or sometimes even light at all.
[Reply]
Dave128 01:26 PM 03-10-2011
Originally Posted by OLS:
I didn't say I KNEW how to do it, lol. Was wondering if others did. :-)
Seriously, and I may be dead wrong, so hopefully someone like Greg will
step up here. To get butane out of a can requires propellant, usually air.
so when you fill up your tank, you get some air, which does not ignite, per
se. So at the end of a tank, before you add the more butane, take a small
screwdriver or a nail and push in the nib a little and let all the air or whatever
is IN THERE come out. It'll usually go PFFTTttttt......and then nothing. Then
fill as normal. NOT to be confused with the last 1/5 of a tank in which there is
usually still a little in there, but showing a low or weak flame. You should turn
up the flame for the next couple lights to get it all out before actually refilling.

But usually a tank that has not been purged properly gives a bit of a stuttery
flame that won't stay lit, or sometimes even light at all.
Thank you. Looks legit to me! I'll have to give it a try since one of my lighters is currently empty.
[Reply]
OLS 01:50 PM 03-10-2011
And that "turn it up' idea is not a rule, most people like to leave their flame
level alone, so when it gets weak, they just fill er up. This actually begins
to produce the need for the purge, ironically. But it sure keeps you from
running OUT of gas when you are away from your butane can, and that is
most important to most people. :-) Once in a while though, a purge is a good
idea.
[Reply]
SNKBYT 01:59 PM 03-10-2011
if you have one....hand cuff keys make excellent purgers
[Reply]