Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>Why I Love Cigars
OHRD 09:02 AM 05-03-2010
Like people, cigars come in every shape, size, color, and personality
For the same reason I love people, I love cigars – they are unique and no two are exactly alike. So much goes into creating a cigar and so many variances are involved, that it is truly impossible to find two cigars that are absolutely identical! And I love that! It’s authentic, timeless, and it allows the participant to be as involved as he or she desires – if you want to compare the different textures and profiles within a given line, you can do that. If you want to compare how the sun or shade affected the coloring of the wrappers or how the primings adjusted the strength, you can do that. The analysis is endless and it is a playground for lovers of tobacco.

Whatever your mood, there is a cigar that will fit it. With so many levels of body and flavor, sizes from thin and tiny to wide and long, and more brands than you can keep up with, there is no shortage of company.

Cigars generate conversation and community

Recently I was part of a wedding party where, outside of the groom, I knew hardly anyone. As I rode to the rehearsal with the groom and his out of town friend, mention was made of the final bachelor’s night, which included a visit to Chattanooga’s Burns Tobacconist. Immediately, the groom’s friend made mention of Oliva and a connection was struck. We spent the entire weekend talking about everything under the sun – we talked a lot about cigars, but we also talked a lot about life and aspirations. Cigars were our gateway; our shared passion created an immediate trust in one another and provided the primer for a quick forming friendship.

Without a doubt, the cigar community is one of the strongest communities around. Spend a little bit of time on cigar forums, Twitter, or even begin following comments on cigar blogs, and you will quickly realize that the cigar community is a strong and united front. All stereotypes are shattered and women and men of all personalities, colors, and sizes are connected over their shared passion. Cigars and gifts are sent across the country when brothers and sisters get a new job (or suffer unemployment), get married (or breakup), and welcome babies (or mourn a loss). The cigar community is committed and strong and unlike any other community out there.

Cigars are delicate and fickle and require love and attention
It’s one thing to have a hobby or a passion that requires little attention or maintenance; its entirely different to have a hobby or passion that demands your involvement –a bit like gardening or car restoration, the love and hobby of cigars requires investment and weeds out those less interested. I’ve had countless friends who, after purchasing one cigar at a time from the B&M, finally decide to invest in a humidor and make an order. Then, after a few months, they complain of wet and moldy or dry and cracked cigars. And a few months later, the humidor has become a storage box for jewelry, pictures, and a stray cigar or two.

Cigar smoking requires care, love, and attention. I check my temperature and humidity level as often as I feed my dog, shave, and shower, and almost as often as I kiss my wife and son! And I love reading other’s thoughts on the same cigars I’ve smoked because everyone’s palate is different and every cigar is cropped, shipped, and stored with slight variances. It is good to have a hobby that needs you, isn’t it!?

Cigars have a history
Any lover of history should take a good look at the cigar industry. It is a history akin to a great, dramatic soap opera or a city uprising: politics, violence, industrial boom and depression, big players and underdogs – it’s all there! Each of us that smoke today share in that history and with the unprecedented access to the new players, such as Pete Johnson and Don Giolito, we all feel an increased investment in the process.

Cigars have been a part of my relationship with my dad for nearly 15 years
I smoked my first cigar on the backporch with my dad, after my mom had gone to sleep. I was 14 and it was a wood-tipped Swisher Sweet! What I love about cigar smoking is that everyone has a story of how they first started, and my story began with my dad and it continues today. My dad and I still try and smoke together once every week or two, over 15 years after our first smoke together.

We’ve both moved on from machine made cigars and though my dad still prefers the flavored variety from Drew Estate, Tatiana, and CAO, we still place online orders together and share cigar tools. I cannot recount how many stories we’ve shared over a cigar in the front driveway as the sun sets and the breeze floats by. I’ve received advice on every front – as I prepared for college graduation and my first real job, for marriage, the birth of my first child, and the preparation for the birth of my second son now. At every stage of my life and crossroad, my dad and I have enjoyed a cigar together and discussed the best way to approach the situation. The stillness and clarity of thought that a cigar places upon a situation is unrivaled.

So...why do you love them?

[Reply]
Eleven 09:06 AM 05-03-2010
That is as good an analogy on many aspects as I have seen!

:-)
[Reply]
maninblack 09:18 AM 05-03-2010
Wow. I think you hit the nail on the head. I have nothing more to add.:-)
[Reply]
CigarNut 09:58 AM 05-03-2010
Very well stated!
[Reply]
itzfrank 10:27 AM 05-03-2010
I love them because all life seems to come to a stand still while smoking them. I get so focused on the cigar itself as I explore my own personal taste that nothing else seems to matter. It's not like a drug or a drink where it covers the feelings and hides them for the moment but it does allow you to get your mind on something else for awhile.
[Reply]
OHRD 11:11 AM 05-03-2010
Originally Posted by itzfrank:
I love them because all life seems to come to a stand still while smoking them. I get so focused on the cigar itself as I explore my own personal taste that nothing else seems to matter. It's not like a drug or a drink where it covers the feelings and hides them for the moment but it does allow you to get your mind on something else for awhile.
Absolutely! Like returning to the old days, when there weren't so many distractions...
[Reply]
Mr B 11:20 AM 05-03-2010
Very well said (written). Thanks:-)
[Reply]
kelmac07 11:22 AM 05-03-2010
Truer words were never spoken Matthew...great post!! :-)
[Reply]
OHRD 11:36 AM 05-03-2010
Thanks fellas, a pleasure to write...
[Reply]
DropTheE 11:38 AM 05-03-2010
Very well put! :-)
[Reply]
dyieldin 04:59 PM 05-03-2010
Very good!

Some people just have a way with words and some people just do not have a way.
[Reply]
Huskysibe 05:45 PM 05-03-2010
I love the way you worded it! I love cigars because they make me stop and just relax and enjoy the day. I love to take my time and concentrate on all of the flavors and the flavor changes at different intervals on the cigar. All too often we find ourselves in a mad rush to get somewhere, do something etc Cigars remind me to slow down, take it easy, and enjoy life.
[Reply]
qwerty1500 07:05 PM 05-03-2010
You said it. All I could add is that it includes a love of learning, exporation and discovery. Part of this hobby is learning about cigars, seeking cigars you have never tried and finding yet another great one.
[Reply]
Ogre 07:19 PM 05-03-2010
Could not have put it better myself, not that I could even put it that well. Thanks
[Reply]
Mpython24 07:28 PM 05-03-2010
As everyone has said, well stated friend. I love the relational aspect that happens when you smoke with someone or a group of people. Nothin' else quite like it.
[Reply]
OHRD 06:24 AM 05-04-2010
Originally Posted by qwerty1500:
You said it. All I could add is that it includes a love of learning, exporation and discovery. Part of this hobby is learning about cigars, seeking cigars you have never tried and finding yet another great one.
So true, you can take it as seriously as you want to and there is so much to dive into w/ the history and all the new creations that come out each year, it obsesses me in a very good way...
[Reply]
tomc3084 09:17 AM 05-04-2010
I love everything about cigars, especially how 1 can taste so different than another even from the same box, and how you can get different results from aging. I also love the brotherhood.
[Reply]
jsnake 10:39 AM 05-04-2010
Very nice Matthew!
[Reply]
Cigary 12:44 PM 05-04-2010
Excellent read on your post. So many aspects of this hobby that gives back more than I put into it. It has probably saved me more in $$ instead of taking xanax or talking to some shrink who would rather ask me about my "feelings" and now instead of spending all that money on meds and doctor visits I smoke cigars. I just saved myself tons of money and I feel better within minutes of lighting up...amazing!
[Reply]
OHRD 09:58 AM 05-06-2010
Originally Posted by Cigary:
Excellent read on your post. So many aspects of this hobby that gives back more than I put into it. It has probably saved me more in $$ instead of taking xanax or talking to some shrink who would rather ask me about my "feelings" and now instead of spending all that money on meds and doctor visits I smoke cigars. I just saved myself tons of money and I feel better within minutes of lighting up...amazing!
Totally relate and I've heard so many say that - that it is worth the money they spend x 3, because of the peace of mind it provides...you have no choice but to slow down and think...
[Reply]
Up