Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>Suggestions on a Sampler
mike_in_sa 08:05 PM 04-27-2010
Mad Monkey is looking for a great sampler. I fell for the Joecigar.com Joe's Jambalaya yesterday and bought the High/Low sampler, http://www.cigarsinternational.com/p...127&stext=high. It includes:

1 - Alec Bradley Tempus Quadrum (box-press) (5.5" x 55)
1 - CAO The Sopranos Edition Tony Signature (6.5" x 60)
1 - Felipe Pelo de Oro Perfecto (5.5" x 50)
1 - Graycliff Turbo (6" x 60)
1 - Gurkha Centurian Double Perfecto (6" x 60)
1 - Man O’ War Ruination Belicoso (5.75" x 56)
1 - Montecristo Media Noche Edmundo (5" x 55)
1 - Padilla Habano Artisano Perfecto (5.75" x 54)
1 - Padilla Signature 1932 Robusto (5" x 50)
1 - Rocky Patel Decade Toro (6.5" x 52)

I'm hoping I find a few I like somewhere in that mix. In any case, I'm looking for a GREAT sampler that will leave me BANANA's.

BRING IT PEOPLE!!!

BTW... :-)

The Mad Monkey
[Reply]
maninblack 08:08 PM 04-27-2010
The Padilla 32, Sopranos,MOW Ruination, and AB Tempus are all great smokes, IMO.
[Reply]
SouthernSmoke 08:18 PM 04-27-2010
The turbos aren't too bad if i remember correctly. I have a fiver that's been resting since october....

On topic: that sampler looks pretty solid to start with. Keep an eye on the deal sites as samplers routinely show up there
[Reply]
pnoon 08:21 PM 04-27-2010
Originally Posted by mike_in_sa:
Mad Monkey is looking for a great sampler. I fell for the Joecigar.com Joe's Jambalaya yesterday and bought the High/Low sampler, http://www.cigarsinternational.com/p...127&stext=high. It includes:

1 - Alec Bradley Tempus Quadrum (box-press) (5.5" x 55)
1 - CAO The Sopranos Edition Tony Signature (6.5" x 60)
1 - Felipe Pelo de Oro Perfecto (5.5" x 50)
1 - Graycliff Turbo (6" x 60)
1 - Gurkha Centurian Double Perfecto (6" x 60)
1 - Man O’ War Ruination Belicoso (5.75" x 56)
1 - Montecristo Media Noche Edmundo (5" x 55)
1 - Padilla Habano Artisano Perfecto (5.75" x 54)
1 - Padilla Signature 1932 Robusto (5" x 50)
1 - Rocky Patel Decade Toro (6.5" x 52)

I'm hoping I find a few I like somewhere in that mix. In any case, I'm looking for a GREAT sampler that will leave me BANANA's.

BRING IT PEOPLE!!!

BTW... :-)

The Mad Monkey
You're not going to get instant gratification - especially with this cigar hobby/obsession of ours. The effort has to come from you. The absolute best thing you can do is to try samplers, play in the NST, and PIF/MAW/TAW to sample as many cigars as you can. Then you will be able to decide what it is you like. Not what someone else tells you is good.
[Reply]
Superbad 08:25 PM 04-27-2010
There is bound to be something you like in there. Keep checking places like cigar monster for samplers, also sometimes your B&M will give you a deal on an assortment, just ask before you head into the humidor. Let them know you are new and looking to try a bunch of different cigars to find ones you like. They might even give you a freebie or two.
[Reply]
KenyanSandBoa 08:27 PM 04-27-2010
Originally Posted by pnoon:
You're not going to get instant gratification - especially with this cigar hobby/obsession of ours. The effort has to come from you. The absolute best thing you can do is to try samplers, play in the NST, and PIF/MAW/TAW to sample as many cigars as you can. Then you will be able to decide what it is you like. Not what someone else tells you is good.
:-)

The first thing I did for a while was read, read, and read. The review section should be your best friend. :-)

After I got a base of what I wanted to try, I went and bought a bunch of singles to see what I liked and didn't like. Once I had a decent collection of sticks I was comfortable with I entered the NST (an absolute necessity).

Once you gain access to the buy/sell/trade forum just buy any samplers you are interseted and fine tune your taste.

I hope that helps. :-)
[Reply]
mike_in_sa 08:56 PM 04-27-2010
Thanks for the replies. Trust me I am trying cigars left and right. So far the Arturo Feunte's and Cohiba Robusto have been my fav's. I have the following on deck: Olivie Serie V Double Robusto, Arturo Fuente Exquisito, Nub Conneticut (say what u want, but I enjoyed them), Punch After Dinner, Rocky Patel Vintage 1990 Robusto, and Arturo Feunte Work of Art. The Punch was just ok. Of course I bought a 5 pack before trying and that was a mistake on my part. Lesson learned, I will not buy multiples unless I know I like the stick.

Thanks for the suggestions...keep them coming!
[Reply]
Superbad 09:14 PM 04-27-2010
Don't discount the effect of time on those multiples. Put them away for 6 months or more and try one again, you might find that aging has improved the cigar, also your tastes might have changed as well.
[Reply]
pnoon 09:17 PM 04-27-2010
Originally Posted by Superbad:
Don't discount the effect of time on those multiples. Put them away for 6 months or more and try one again, you might find that aging has improved the cigar, also your tastes might have changed as well.
Sage advice. Also, judging a stick by a sample of one may be a mistake. You could have had a bad stick or your mood/health may have been off just enough to make a difference.
[Reply]
mike_in_sa 09:23 PM 04-27-2010
How much of a difference will aging make? For that matter what should or shouldn't be aged and for how long?
[Reply]
SouthernSmoke 09:32 PM 04-27-2010
Originally Posted by mike_in_sa:
Thanks for the replies. Trust me I am trying cigars left and right. So far the Arturo Feunte's and Cohiba Robusto have been my fav's. I have the following on deck: Olivie Serie V Double Robusto, Arturo Fuente Exquisito, Nub Conneticut (say what u want, but I enjoyed them), Punch After Dinner, Rocky Patel Vintage 1990 Robusto, and Arturo Feunte Work of Art. The Punch was just ok. Of course I bought a 5 pack before trying and that was a mistake on my part. Lesson learned, I will not buy multiples unless I know I like the stick.

Thanks for the suggestions...keep them coming!
I find that multiples are always necessary in deciding about a stick. I try to grab between two or three. One ROTT. One a few weeks later after acclimating a bit and the third later on with some rest. It usually works out for the most part
[Reply]
Up