Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>MarioGolbee's Mystery Stick Blind Review Series 1
whodeeni 12:41 AM 04-26-2010
I did my newbie Sampler Trade with MarioGolbee. This fine gentleman
sent me an extra 5'er of unbanded sticks to help me further sharpen
my axe while doing reviews! They were rebanded A thru E! This first review is based on Stick A!

Mario Golbee's Mystery Stick "A"Review

The Wrapper has a rich brown hue to it that resembles finished oak furniture. It show as a little tooth, and some small veins as well. It's packed very firm but the foot has some open specs in it. I sniffed the wrapper and it has a clean tobacco scent to it.

1st 3rd: I lit the cigar and got a blast of pepper at the beginning. There is a rich, clean tobacco taste similar to what I smelled on the wrapper. There is a peppery finish from the smoke on the tip of my tongue. Five
minutes into this smoke I taste cedar, sweet tobacco, and pepper. I'm starting to get a numbing effect all over my mouth. The burn line was unever at the start (I hate lighting a cigar w/ a torch lighter during the day) but a half inch in and it's virtually corrected itself! It's producing a lot of smoke. The retrohale is light pepper and rich tobacco. I'm feel that this is a medium-full to full bodied smoke.

I'm tasting coffee, cedar, sweet tobacco and a slight hint of burnt caramel. This is a very enjoyable stick! I notice a small tear along the seam of the final third

2nd 3rd: As we enter the second third, I'm getting burnt caramel, sweet tobacco, and cedar, with very light pepper on the finish. The strength in this baby has increased to both full flavor & full body! I'm
going to have to eat a sandwich with this one! Not gonna have me feeling sick on the stomach Mario! *lol* The cedar is now dominant on the finish. I get the impression that this stick was aged longer than the standard 6 months before shipping of most cigars. The burn line has completely corrected itself and is now sharp! I love it when a stick corrects itself! Coffee and cedar are the flavors for now.

Final 3rd: In this phase i'm experiencing coffee, cedar, spice and pepper on the finish. The smoke is still plentiful as well as the body being full! I feel it in my head! Ligero is all through this puppy! Retrohale is clean tobacco and cedar!

Funny/Coincidental experience... Friday I was heading out the door and my stick for the day was a DPG Black. I got delayed, and decided to go ahead and do the first review (which is the one you're reading).... Well from the naked eye, these sticks looked almost identical...

My guess is this is a DPG Black Robusto!

pics will follow tomorrow....
[Reply]
mariogolbee 07:46 PM 04-26-2010
Originally Posted by whodeeni:
My guess is this is a DPG Black Robusto!
Sounds like a good experience and tasty stick. Nice review as always Excel. Is this your final answer or would you like to use a lifeline?
[Reply]
Superbad 07:47 PM 04-26-2010
Very cool, I am anxious to see how you like all of them.
[Reply]
mariogolbee 07:48 PM 04-26-2010
Originally Posted by Superbad:
Very cool, I am anxious to see how you like all of them.
:-)
[Reply]
whodeeni 10:40 PM 04-29-2010
Here are the pics fella's

[Reply]
maninblack 06:30 AM 04-30-2010
Great review! Now what was it Mario?
[Reply]
kelmac07 07:06 AM 04-30-2010
Originally Posted by maninblack:
Great review! Now what was it Mario?
Well??? What what it??
[Reply]
yourchoice 07:31 AM 04-30-2010
Mario is otherwise ...um... 'preoccupied' today. I'm sure he'll let the cat out of the bag once his eventful day is done. :-)
[Reply]
acarr 08:22 AM 04-30-2010
Thanks for the review. I am thinking a Lars Teten Gorilla Finger myself.
[Reply]
Emjaysmash 11:47 AM 04-30-2010
My guess is Padilla.
[Reply]
mariogolbee 11:48 AM 04-30-2010
Originally Posted by acarr:
Thanks for the review. I am thinking a Lars Teten Gorilla Finger myself.
Cute. No Andy, it was not a GF.

It was a Pinar del Rio Habano Oscuro.

Couldn't find a better picture right now but the band is usually blue. This happens to be a regular in my humi.
[Reply]
Emjaysmash 01:02 PM 04-30-2010
Originally Posted by mariogolbee:
Cute. No Andy, it was not a GF.

It was a Pinar del Rio Habano Oscuro.

Couldn't find a better picture right now but the band is usually blue. This happens to be a regular in my humi.
Oh! Those are pretty good!!!
[Reply]
itzfrank 01:33 PM 04-30-2010
I wrote this cigar down on my shopping list.
[Reply]
mariogolbee 11:44 PM 05-03-2010
Excel, where did you go?
[Reply]
Up