Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>newbie needs advice
dubnick 05:04 PM 03-23-2009
I am a very new cigar smoker looking to purchase my first humidor. Any input would be appreciated.

http://www.bargainhumidors.com/bh/Pr...tid=HUM-BH4KIT

Thanks in advance,
Lane
[Reply]
chippewastud79 05:06 PM 03-23-2009
Looks like a pretty good deal to me. Assuming the lighter and cutter are decent, that would help as well :-)
[Reply]
dunng 05:09 PM 03-23-2009
I would go bigger... :-)
[Reply]
AD720 05:14 PM 03-23-2009
Welcome from fellow Philadelphian!

That is a nice humi, I have a very similar one that I also got from Nick at Bargain humidors (mine is the "Lincoln") and it is great. I think you will be very happy. It seems like you are paying about $10 more for the gift set so that seems like a pretty good deal!

Of course it will be full before you know it! :-)
[Reply]
dubnick 05:17 PM 03-23-2009
Thanks for all the quick replies...

AD720... where ya from?
[Reply]
AD720 05:23 PM 03-23-2009
Originally Posted by dubnick:
Thanks for all the quick replies...

AD720... where ya from?
Check your PM's, all that and more. :-)
[Reply]
WildBlueSooner 05:38 PM 03-23-2009
Originally Posted by dunng:
:-)
[Reply]
dubnick 05:42 PM 03-23-2009
I know... I know.

Just getting started... LOL
[Reply]
dubnick 05:47 PM 03-23-2009
On order... thanks for the input.

How long does it typically take to condition a new humi... and how is this done properly??
[Reply]
ade06 05:49 PM 03-23-2009
Welcome! The humi looks good to me, but I would go a little bit bigger due the slippery slope of cigar smoking and buying.
[Reply]
Smokin Gator 05:49 PM 03-23-2009
Very nice brother. That will make a nice addition to your collection. Wait you don't have a collection. Wait... you will!!
[Reply]
dubnick 05:53 PM 03-23-2009
I guess you could say my collection has begun. Once my Humi arrives I can place the sticks I just brought home from the Dominican in it and enjoy them once Spring starts to feel like Spring... LOL
[Reply]
dubnick 05:58 PM 03-23-2009
Great... Thanks for the quick how-to. I will surely research it further. And a trip to Holt's may be in the near future.
[Reply]
Smokin Gator 05:59 PM 03-23-2009
Originally Posted by dubnick:
I guess you could say my collection has begun. Once my Humi arrives I can place the sticks I just brought home from the Dominican in it and enjoy them once Spring starts to feel like Spring... LOL
That would be a good plan.

If you are like most of us you will start out checking your humi about 10 times a day to make sure the humidity is were you want it while using some sort of water or solution. Then you will get sick of that and ask what you should do. Many of us will chime in that you should get 1/2 pound of Scott's beads. You will think they are too expensive and that you really don't need them. We will talk you in to ordering them. You will get them and after a week or so of never seeing your humidity change you will then only look once a month or so. You will then chuckle whenever someone posts that they have just ordered a new humidor... and the cycle continues!!
[Reply]
WildBlueSooner 06:01 PM 03-23-2009
Originally Posted by Smokin Gator:

If you are like most of us you will start out checking your humi about 10 times a day to make sure the humidity is were you want it while using some sort of water or solution. Then you will get sick of that and ask what you should do. Many of us will chime in that you should get 1/2 pound of Scott's beads. You will think they are too expensive and that you really don't need them. We will talk you in to ordering them. You will get them and after a week or so of never seeing your humidity change you will then only look once a month or so. You will then chuckle whenever someone posts that they have just ordered a new humidor... and the cycle continues!!
:-) He's telling the truth. Better to just do from the get go!
[Reply]
AD720 06:02 PM 03-23-2009

That's what nice about getting glass top! :-)

Another vote for humidity beads. There are a couple different options - search around here and I'm sure you will find some good ones.
[Reply]
dubnick 06:18 PM 03-23-2009
It would appear that the beads are the next addition to my yet-to-be-established collection. Thanks again everyone!!
[Reply]
zippo 07:54 PM 03-23-2009
I just got my first humi, two weeks ago. I found it at the Tampa humidor site. It was a well made humi, with great shipping and service. the price wasn't bad for such a nice humi.

Advice that was given to me before my purchase was not to buy one that was to small. I was told to stay at or above a 100CT.
[Reply]
shadow king 08:56 PM 03-23-2009
I can't stress enough what everyone's already said. GO BIG lol. I will be purchasing humidor #4 in the next month or so....each one has been an upgrade. One thing I have learned though, friends who you get hooked into our passion will love the hand me down humis!

And zippo welcome to the Asylum fellow buckeye!
[Reply]
md4958 09:07 PM 03-23-2009
Originally Posted by dunng:
:-) however, its a decent size for your first humi!

:-) this man is speaking the truth... listen to him and save yourself time and aggravation.

another :-), dont rush the seasoning... depending on the humi, it can take weeks to season properly. If you put your stick in before its properly seasoned, it will suck the moisture right out of your sticks and your RH will be all outta wack.

Take a dish with a new (clean) sponge soaked in distilled water and just sit it in the humi.... dont even look at it for a week. Then toss a hygo in there and let it sit for another week. When the sponge is still wet, and the RH reading on the hygro hasnt changed for a couple days, your humi is seasoned.

If you find that you have a lot of extra room in your humi, you can toss a couple spanish cedar blocks in there to help regulate humidity.

I just gave you a brief overview....Do a little searching and you will find tons of info on seasoning a humi.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up