Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 4 of 40
« First < 234 5614 > Last »
Wine, Beer, and Spirits>The Wine Thread
SmokinApe 08:07 PM 11-14-2008
Maybe it is the Macanudo of wine?
[Reply]
Vitis 12:31 AM 11-15-2008
Originally Posted by SmokinApe:
Doesn't it get positive reviews? People recommend it all the time...
I have tried it a few times and always find it very sweet while red wine is usualy fermented dry. Made for the coca cola crowd. I think you can find a lot better and more interesting wine for the $$ or a few $$ more. On the other hand, taste is subjective and you should always drink what you like.

~Vitis
[Reply]
SmokinApe 11:50 AM 11-15-2008
Thanks for the perspective....

Originally Posted by Vitis:
I have tried it a few times and always find it very sweet while red wine is usualy fermented dry. Made for the coca cola crowd. I think you can find a lot better and more interesting wine for the $$ or a few $$ more. On the other hand, taste is subjective and you should always drink what you like.

~Vitis

[Reply]
aldukes 11:55 AM 11-15-2008
Originally Posted by Vitis:
I have tried it a few times and always find it very sweet while red wine is usualy fermented dry. Made for the coca cola crowd. I think you can find a lot better and more interesting wine for the $$ or a few $$ more. On the other hand, taste is subjective and you should always drink what you like.

~Vitis
well put.
[Reply]
Mark C 07:41 AM 11-16-2008
Originally Posted by SmokinApe:
Doesn't it [yellowtail] get positive reviews? People recommend it all the time...
I recommend it all the time to people who think they don't like wine. I find it's an easy introduction to wine and have never found anyone who 'doesn't like wine' who didn't enjoy Yellowtail. And that opens the door to everything else.

My theory is a lot of people are hesitant to try wine for mental reasons, rather than taste, and Yellowtail helps them to think 'hey, not all wine is bad, maybe I should try some more'.

I think the Macanudo reference is a good one. Yellowtail ain't a great wine, but it ain't a bad wine. Same with Mac, it ain't a great cigar, but it ain't bad either. It's not very interesting, but it may get a person started down the slope.

I still think Yellowtail is fairly representative of New World Shiraz, but I'll admit I haven't tried many. For those of you who hate Yellowtail, can you give me a few ideas of other New World Shiraz that you DO like? I need to restock my wine fridge anyway and I'd love some advice.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 09:51 AM 11-16-2008
Originally Posted by Mark C:
For those of you who hate Yellowtail, can you give me a few ideas of other New World Shiraz that you DO like? I need to restock my wine fridge anyway and I'd love some advice.
Torbreck "Woodcutters" Shiraz Barossa Valley is an excellent choice for under $20. They also make other Shiraz at different price points up to $150+.
[Reply]
aldukes 10:21 AM 11-16-2008
I usually stick to shiraz from Marquis Philips D'arenberg and The Winners Tank.
Marquis Philips #9 Shiraz is about 30 a bottle, but well worth it.
Woop Woop actually puts out a decent product for about 10 bucks.
[Reply]
aldukes 10:39 AM 11-18-2008
Thanksgiving wine- what is everyone drinking?

Only 4 of this year with my sister going to her in-laws. My dad doesn't drink wine so 2-3 bottles will be more than enough this year. As of right now we'll be having:

2007 August Briggs Russian River Chardonnay
2006 Melville Clone 115 Indigine Pinot Noir
or
2006 Whetstone Wine Cellars Pleasant Hill Vineyard Pinot Noir

My mom leans towards just-sweet German Gewurztraminer and Riesling, I think she'll enjoy the change of pace.
[Reply]
Vitis 11:00 AM 11-18-2008
It's such a pain in the a$$ to travel with wine these days, so will buy a mixed case when I hit the ground. Sucks. :-) Pre 9/11 I always brought a couple of heavy hitters with me. On the upside, my cousin collects and cellars european beers, so I always get to try interesting stuff that I know very litte about. :-)


~Vitis
[Reply]
aldukes 11:08 AM 11-18-2008
Originally Posted by Vitis:
It's such a pain in the a$$ to travel with wine these days, so will buy a mixed case when I hit the ground. Sucks. :-) Pre 9/11 I always brought a couple of heavy hitters with me. On the upside, my cousin collects and cellars european beers, so I always get to try interesting stuff that I know very litte about. :-)


~Vitis
rumor has it- this will be lifted in early '09.
[Reply]
Vitis 11:30 AM 11-18-2008
Originally Posted by aldukes:
rumor has it- this will be lifted in early '09.
Cheers to that! :-)
[Reply]
aldukes 10:31 AM 11-24-2008
Picked up some bottles this weekend. 3 for drinking and 2 put away.

To drink:

2006 Bogle Petite Sirah- North Coast, CA
2005 Chateau Larrivaux- Haut Medoc, Bordeaux, France
2005 Hugel Pinot Blanc Cuvee Les Amours - Alsace, France

To put away:

2006 Whetstone JonBoat Pinot Noir, Sonoma Coast, CA
2005 Volta Cabernet Sauvignon -Napa Valley, CA
[Reply]
SmokinApe 12:22 PM 11-24-2008
"2006 Bogle Petite Sirah- North Coast, CA " I had a bottle of this in my hand today... I went with a Malbec instead...
[Reply]
SmokinApe 01:29 PM 11-24-2008
I have tried a few more wines over the last few days...

The port and the Salvestrin were pretty good, the Folio seemed like run of the mill swill...
Attached: img058.jpg (28.5 KB) img062.jpg (25.0 KB) img063.jpg (24.0 KB) 
[Reply]
aldukes 01:44 PM 11-24-2008
Originally Posted by SmokinApe:
"2006 Bogle Petite Sirah- North Coast, CA " I had a bottle of this in my hand today... I went with a Malbec instead...
why not get both? :-)

For the price I try to keep a bottle or two for spur of the moment drinking. Its very easy to drink and really food friendly.
[Reply]
SmokinApe 03:15 PM 11-24-2008
I almost got both but the cart was pretty full...
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 03:15 PM 11-24-2008
Typically, I like either a mature Burgundy or Madeira with turkey. No idea on which ones I am going to open.
[Reply]
Vitis 05:19 PM 11-24-2008
Agreed with the Burgundy Moses. Pinot and turkey is a great match.

~Vitis
[Reply]
novasurf 05:30 PM 11-25-2008
2004 Stolpman Vineyards Syrah, grilled ribeye, gouda mashed potatoes
[Reply]
novasurf 06:45 AM 11-27-2008
T-Day is 05 Williamette Pinot Noir (Oregon)
[Reply]
Page 4 of 40
« First < 234 5614 > Last »
Up