Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 8 of 10
« First < 678 910 >
Good Eats>Dry aging beef?
mosesbotbol 10:30 AM 12-30-2017
Originally Posted by BigAsh:
March 10 is a Saturday, and a good 78 days from 12/23...and, I think I happen to be free that day....:-)
Same here. :-)
[Reply]
jonumberone 12:32 PM 03-05-2018
Originally Posted by BigAsh:
March 10 is a Saturday, and a good 78 days from 12/23...and, I think I happen to be free that day....:-)
Keith thought wrong... He's not available. :-)
The meat will make it to day 78. I plan to cut it up this weekend.
[Reply]
jonumberone 07:40 AM 03-13-2018
Made it to day 78.
I had to remove the ribs. They were just making it too hard to work when cleaning up the meat.
I would have liked to kept the bone in, but considering that I was going to have to french them, there wasn't a huge loss of edible meat.

Cooked Sous vide and finished over lump charcoal and Mesquite wood on my Kamado grill.
With my initial bites I could taste a cheesy funk, in a good way. That funk was also in the 60 day that I did.
That flavor seemed to subside the more I ate. I'm not sure if that flavor was just on the edge, or if the smokey flavor from the charcoal just took it over.
All in all, of my attempts, this was my favorite. Real deep beefy flavors, a hint of funk, and the texture and tenderness were on point.

Someone asked me to sum up the steak; I said it was like having a high end NYC steakhouse steak in my basement. Not bad for $3.77 a lb.

Considering trying 120 days next.
[Reply]
stearns 07:44 AM 03-13-2018
That looks mouth watering. Remind me again, did you use the vac bag for this? Did you just store it in the fridge? Any air flow considerations or anything else for storage?
[Reply]
jonumberone 07:57 AM 03-13-2018
Yeah, Ben, I used the bag for this.
My other attempts I was rotating, monitoring temps, and so on.
This time I just put it in the bag, stuck it in the fridge and forgot about it.
I didn't notice any difference due to the lack of attention paid.
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 08:15 AM 03-13-2018
Oy!
[Reply]
Porch Dweller 08:20 AM 03-13-2018
:-)
[Reply]
T.G 08:29 AM 03-13-2018
Dom, which sealer are you using? I'm curious about their "VacMouse" adapter since I have one of the channel clamp sealers that is on their "good" list.
[Reply]
markem 08:31 AM 03-13-2018
Oh man! That's amazing, Dom. When I am rich and famous, I'm hiring you as personal chef and cigar smoker. You can pick which games to watch on TV as well.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 01:41 PM 03-14-2018
Originally Posted by jonumberone:
This time I just put it in the bag, stuck it in the fridge and forgot about it.
Looks great. Why not the kamado the whole time?

What kind bag? I assume it let in some air? Did the meat touch any part of the bag?

I had a half a steer (grass fed from VT) aged 60 days before being cut and there was some funk to that as well. Next time I buy again, I may ask them to age longer. Between the grass fed and dry age, it was certainly different tasting.
[Reply]
stearns 01:53 PM 03-14-2018
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol:

What kind bag? I assume it let in some air? Did the meat touch any part of the bag?

I had a half a steer (grass fed from VT) aged 60 days before being cut and there was some funk to that as well. Next time I buy again, I may ask them to age longer. Between the grass fed and dry age, it was certainly different tasting.
Think he is talking about these bags, but Dom correct me if I'm wrong

Originally Posted by pnoon:
http://drybagsteak.com/

[Reply]
Chainsaw13 02:11 PM 03-14-2018
I may have posted this already, but good article from Kenji @ SeriousEats about dry aging at home.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2013/03/...f-at-home.html
[Reply]
jonumberone 05:41 AM 03-15-2018
Originally Posted by T.G:
Dom, which sealer are you using? I'm curious about their "VacMouse" adapter since I have one of the channel clamp sealers that is on their "good" list.
I use a clamp style sealer for these.
The bag is too flimsy to push the paddles in on the stand up sealer I use or sous vide.
[Reply]
jonumberone 05:45 AM 03-15-2018
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol:

I use different things to sear off. Usually due to a number of factors. Time, weather, my mood, etc.... This time I chose to light the Kamado.

The meat touches the bag. The more contact with the bag the better according to the instructions.

Originally Posted by stearns:
Think he is talking about these bags, but Dom correct me if I'm wrong
Yup, those are them, Ben.

https://www.drybagsteak.com/
[Reply]
BigAsh 06:50 AM 03-15-2018
Keith thought wrong... He's not available. :-)
(What choo talkin 'bout Willis?!?)The meat will make it to day 78. I plan to cut it up this weekend.

Real deep beefy flavors, a hint of funk, and the texture and tenderness were on point. :-):-)

Someone asked me to sum up the steak; I said it was like having a high end NYC steakhouse steak in my basement. Not bad for $3.77 a lb.

Considering trying 120 days next.
Am I ever wrong?!?...I've been to several of Dom's "tests" and agree, this one was phenomenal....Someone asked me and I said it's like having a high-end steakhouse in my buddy's basement, where he does all the work AND we can smoke cigars!...Win/Win! ...Brings me back to the days when we'd hit a steakhouse after a long day in court....chasing martinis, steaks, cigars and skirts....not necesarily in that order...:-) Another one for the books my friend!!
[Reply]
Tio Gato 11:20 AM 03-15-2018
Simply amazing Dom! Pretty sure I just broke the commandment that says "Though shall not lust.":-):-) Beautiful, a great job!:-)
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 08:06 AM 03-29-2020
I started using dry age bags to dry age beef and they work fantastic. They stick the meat and do not require anything special age the meat once in the fridge. You can cut from one end to other and seal the cut end with plastic wrap. The meat can go 100 days in the bag.

Highly recommended.

https://dryagingbags.com
[Reply]
jonumberone 08:21 AM 03-29-2020
Been using those bags for a few years now.

trimmed up a 75 day rib roast a 2 weeks ago.
They have worked flawlessly for me so far.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 08:51 AM 03-29-2020
Been using those bags for a few years now.

trimmed up a 75 day rib roast a 2 weeks ago.
They have worked flawlessly for me so far.
The bags are not cheap, but well worth it. We bought a prime NY Strip at Costco for around $85 and have been working off that when we want a steak. Starting on one end on 21 and no rush to eat the rest. I think it'll yield 13-15 steaks.
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 09:19 AM 03-29-2020
Looks like they are having a sale, 50% off the larger pack of bags.
[Reply]
Page 8 of 10
« First < 678 910 >
Up