Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
All Cigar Discussion>Box-pressed woes
TJarv 08:21 PM 09-25-2012
I love a good box press. Typically I get great draws and decent burns on them.
[Reply]
Robulous78 08:29 PM 09-25-2012
Originally Posted by TJarv:
I love a good box press. Typically I get great draws and decent burns on them.
:-)
[Reply]
Zane 08:59 PM 09-25-2012
I have only had a few box pressed. Enjoyed them.
[Reply]
RobR1205 09:44 PM 09-25-2012
Don't mind the box press. One of the most enjoyable ones I can remember were PAM Family Reserve Maduro and Man O War Armada (collectors tin edition). I like to break up the monotony of rounded cigars every once in a while.
[Reply]
T.G 10:12 PM 09-25-2012
I'd like to interject for a second here and point out that from a technical standpoint that a lot of the cigars being talked about in this thread, while billed as box press by the nc catalogs and even their manufacturers, are not actually box pressed. They are factory pressed. Box pressed is what Tom and Peter alluded to; it's a cigar that is rolled round and placed into box that is slightly smaller than the combined height and width of all the cigars, causing the cigars to deform to a slight rectangular or square shape in the box. Mushing a cigar square or rectangular in a mold, such as Padron cigars, is technically a factory press. Not a big deal, but just wanted to toss that out there.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
RobR1205 05:20 AM 09-26-2012
Originally Posted by T.G:
I'd like to interject for a second here and point out that from a technical standpoint that a lot of the cigars being talked about in this thread, while billed as box press by the nc catalogs and even their manufacturers, are not actually box pressed. They are factory pressed. Box pressed is what Tom and Peter alluded to; it's a cigar that is rolled round and placed into box that is slightly smaller than the combined height and width of all the cigars, causing the cigars to deform to a slight rectangular or square shape in the box. Mushing a cigar square or rectangular in a mold, such as Padron cigars, is technically a factory press. Not a big deal, but just wanted to toss that out there.
Posted via Mobile Device
:-) Hmm... duly noted. Never really thought about the difference between let's a Padron cigar, and a PL Panatela, which is kinda rounded, but will not roll on a table because of the slight box press it was given from being boxed so tightly. Thanks for the clarification!
[Reply]
kelmac07 06:01 AM 09-26-2012
LFD Factory Press is an outstanding box press stick. :-) :-) :-)
[Reply]
Subvet642 06:03 AM 09-26-2012
Originally Posted by kelmac07:
Nope...I enjoy a box press. :-)
I'm with Mac on that!
[Reply]
Subvet642 06:09 AM 09-26-2012
Originally Posted by Big Bert:
Oooooooh triangle smokes ... Someone needs to do that ASAP :-) peter that's an awesome idea it would be a nice rare and odd shape...

Keith, I actually enjoy a nice box press. I had nothing but good experiences with them but like Peter says if the quality is good I could care less about the shape :-)
Have you tried an LGC Obelisco? These things are delicious and burn perfectly!

[Reply]
Blak Smyth 06:53 AM 09-26-2012
I don't like to smoke outside the box :-)

I just like good cigars, don't care what they look like.
Some of the best cigars I have tried looked terrible.
@Dball, you know one!
[Reply]
Stevez 08:53 AM 09-26-2012
I agree with the OP; I'll smoke them, but not a fan in general. I think it's because I have had more draw issues with them in the past and I am biased against them. Have had some great padron's though that were box pressed, but to me that is a rare experience.
[Reply]
shibby4781 08:54 AM 09-26-2012
Again its not that I absolutely hate them and I would never pass one up, it's not my first choice though. I think I will take some of your suggestions and go shopping to see if I can be swayed.
[Reply]
CigarNut 08:57 AM 09-26-2012
Originally Posted by pnoon:
I will smoke one on occasion but I'm with the OP on this. Generally speaking, I don't care for box press. Especially the intentional ones. (Padron 64 & 26 are the exception. For that quality, they could be triangles. :-))
Agreed!

:-)
[Reply]
pedro 09:28 AM 09-26-2012
Nope I prefer my cigars round, I will actually buy cabs of 50 to try and avoided the square cigars in dress boxes.
[Reply]
czerbe 09:41 AM 09-26-2012
Big fan of Box presses to great ones that come to mind are the Ortega Serie D and the Headley Grange both killer sticks and also great price points
[Reply]
pektel 10:04 AM 09-26-2012
Originally Posted by pedro:
Nope I prefer my cigars round, I will actually buy cabs of 50 to try and avoided the square cigars in dress boxes.
Especially the churchill/double corona sizes. I've found that larger format dress box cigars have more draw issues than their 50 cab presentation counterparts.

Though I do like when smoking a box press cigar, that I can set it down without it rolling all over the place. :-)
[Reply]
STEVE S 10:35 AM 09-26-2012
I just love cigars, round or box pressed or factory pressed I smoke them all!!!
[Reply]
SpruceBruce 01:26 PM 09-26-2012
Originally Posted by pedro:
Maybe I'm just being dumb, but what are "cabs"?
[Reply]
icehog3 01:30 PM 09-26-2012
Originally Posted by SpruceBruce:
Maybe I'm just being dumb, but what are "cabs"?
50 count boxes with a slide top lid.

Some cigars also come in a 25 count SLB.
[Reply]
TJtorpedo 06:20 PM 09-26-2012
Originally Posted by czerbe:
Big fan of Box presses to great ones that come to mind are the Ortega Serie D and the Headley Grange both killer sticks and also great price points
The Ortega Serie D (both wrappers) are darn good. I love me a good press!
[Reply]
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Up