Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Entertainment>HBO Shows
ChicagoWhiteSox 07:45 AM 01-19-2012
Which HBO shows have been the best all around shows? Sopranos will always be number one on my list, but I would put the Wire in second place. Third place is BofB. I haven't really seen enough of any other shows to make a list more than three. So what say you guys? I'd include Showtime shows, but I have a feeling their only good show is/was Dexter....
[Reply]
mase 07:52 AM 01-19-2012
I think The Wire is my favorite TV show in the drama category. I just love the characters.

True Blood is kind of a popcorn show - nothing too deep. Deadwood was a pretty good show, but lost momentum. Six Feet Under was pretty good, but I lost track after a couple of seasons.
[Reply]
kelmac07 07:53 AM 01-19-2012
The Wire and Oz
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 08:01 AM 01-19-2012
I used to love this show, wish it was still on:
[Reply]
ChicagoWhiteSox 08:04 AM 01-19-2012
Originally Posted by kelmac07:
The Wire and Oz
Oz looks like a good show. Does it take place inside the prison the whole show?
[Reply]
dave 08:13 AM 01-19-2012
Band of Brothers and Curb Your Enthusiasm - Rome is in my Netflix queue....missed it first time around....looking forward to it
[Reply]
cricky101 08:15 AM 01-19-2012
Loved the Sopranos and have all of them on DVD now. I liked Weeds on Showtime too.
[Reply]
ChicagoWhiteSox 08:17 AM 01-19-2012
Originally Posted by cricky101:
Loved the Sopranos and have all of them on DVD now. I liked Weeds on Showtime too.
The first 3 seasons of Weeds were good. Kevin Nealon was great in that show.
[Reply]
elderboy02 08:17 AM 01-19-2012
I think Sopranos was the best. I am loving Boardwalk Empire. I just finished Season 1 of The Wire on HBO GO, and now I am starting Season 2
[Reply]
Wanger 08:39 AM 01-19-2012
Originally Posted by ChicagoWhiteSox:
Which HBO shows have been the best all around shows? Sopranos will always be number one on my list, but I would put the Wire in second place. Third place is BofB. I haven't really seen enough of any other shows to make a list more than three. So what say you guys? I'd include Showtime shows, but I have a feeling their only good show is/was Dexter....
As was already mentioned, there is Weeds, and then there's Homeland, which is a new show that's off to a great start so far.
[Reply]
icehog3 08:48 AM 01-19-2012
The Wire is my #1, with The Sopranos a close second. Others I subscribed to on the TiVo were Oz, Deadwood, Six Feet Under, Curb Your Enthusiasm and John From Cincinnati.
[Reply]
irratebass 08:58 AM 01-19-2012
Wow, lots of love for The Wire, never seen it personally. Mine is:
Sopranos
Boardwalk Empire
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Entourage
Game OfThrones
East Bound & Down
OZ
[Reply]
icehog3 09:06 AM 01-19-2012
Originally Posted by irratebass:
Boardwalk Empire
East Bound & Down
Two more I subscribed to and forgot to list. :-)
[Reply]
kelmac07 09:07 AM 01-19-2012
Originally Posted by ChicagoWhiteSox:
Oz looks like a good show. Does it take place inside the prison the whole show?
Yes...with little cut-ins of how they landed themselves in prison.
[Reply]
yourchoice 09:15 AM 01-19-2012
So many great shows on HBO. My order of preference:

The Wire
Sopranos
Game of Thrones
Boardwalk Empire
Entourage
True Blood
Hung

Season 1 of Game of Thrones was great, IMHO, and I'm not generally a fan of the fantasy genre. It definitely has the chance to move up the list. I purposefully left out their miniseries, but Band of Brothers was also outstanding.

The only show I really watch on Showtime is Californication. Very funny.
[Reply]
Beagleone 09:31 AM 01-19-2012
Well since you added Showtime to the mix, these are the ones I've liked from both networks:

The Sopranos
Rome
Game of Thrones
Dexter
Homeland
Californication (although this season has gotten a unusually slow start)
Weeds
True Blood
[Reply]
Parshooter 09:43 AM 01-19-2012
Curb and Eastbound
[Reply]
Stephen 10:03 AM 01-19-2012
Not counting BoB since it really wasn't a television series, I'd probably list (of what I've seen) them something like this...

1. Sopranos
2. The Larry Sanders Show
3. Oz
4. The Wire
5. Deadwood

*have never seen an episode of Six Feet Under or Big Love, which a lot of people have nothing but great things to say about*
[Reply]
yachties23 10:06 AM 01-19-2012
Sopranos to me was fail after season 2. I think the Pine Barrens episode is the only really great one of the last few seasons.

So far Boardwalk and GoT have been aswesome.

How to make it in america is also really good.

Band of Brothers was perhaps the greatest thing ever produced on television.
[Reply]
CigarNut 12:26 PM 01-19-2012
True Blood on HBO, Shameless on Showtime...
[Reply]
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Up