Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 16
< 12 3412 > Last »
All Cigar Discussion>How to Freeze and the Science behind it. Long Post
SilverFox 07:42 AM 01-13-2009
Originally Posted by md4958:
you guys are really making it difficult and less fun for me to bust Shawn's balls... but thanks for the info!

I was initially going to post in degrees Kelvin but I was worried some crazy inmate would put his cigars in the oven.

-20C = 253K
[Reply]
skibumdc 07:47 AM 01-13-2009
I don't freeze, but keep my vino and coolers at or below 60 in winter and 65 during summer.
[Reply]
Langod 07:48 AM 01-13-2009
Originally Posted by SilverFox:
I was initially going to post in degrees Kelvin but I was worried some crazy inmate would put his cigars in the oven.

-20C = 253K

LOL -- so what's the life expectancy of the beetle (or Inmate) at Absolute Zero?
[Reply]
Cigarcop 07:48 AM 01-13-2009
you guys are really making it difficult and less fun for me to bust Shawn's balls... but thanks for the info!
Thats it Moe..............."No Soup For You" :-)
[Reply]
md4958 08:08 AM 01-13-2009

-20C = 253K
:-):-):-)
Originally Posted by Cigarcop:
Thats it Moe..............."No Soup For You"
[Reply]
wayner123 08:20 AM 01-13-2009
No eggs will not survive see the first portion of the table in red above showing how long at what temp to kill eggs.
I have to disagree with you here. I personally have had eggs hatch after freezing twice.

I know you and I have had discussion before about this subject. After you showed me before the information you had, I accepted it and have had no problems. But a couple weeks ago, I had a run in again with a beetle. I know these sticks were frozen and the particular stick was frozen twice. Maybe I am the exception :-)

Any thoughts on how this happened?
[Reply]
md4958 08:24 AM 01-13-2009
Originally Posted by wayner123:
I have to disagree with you here. I personally have had eggs hatch after freezing twice.

I know you and I have had discussion before about this subject. After you showed me before the information you had, I accepted it and have had no problems. But a couple weeks ago, I had a run in again with a beetle. I know these sticks were frozen and the particular stick was frozen twice. Maybe I am the exception :-)

perhaps they were not frozen for a long enough period?
[Reply]
wayner123 08:51 AM 01-13-2009
perhaps they were not frozen for a long enough period?
I used the exact method that SilverFox laid out the first time. And the second time they were frozen for 96 hours (4 days).
[Reply]
rack04 09:01 AM 01-13-2009
I used the exact method that SilverFox laid out the first time. And the second time they were frozen for 96 hours (4 days).
Could the bettle have come from other sticks? Maybe after you froze?
[Reply]
wayner123 09:05 AM 01-13-2009
Originally Posted by rack04:
Could the bettle have come from other sticks? Maybe after you froze?

That's the only thing I can think of. But I freeze everything now. Incoming from BOTL's and bought sticks. If it did come from some other stick, I didn't see any holes in another cigar. I checked every single cigar.
[Reply]
14holestogie 09:27 AM 01-13-2009
Good post, Shawn. I was always somewhat ambivalent to freezing, until I found one of my sticks (a tubo, no less) with a beetle hole. All stock then went through the freeze and all incoming continues to. I love all my BOTL/SOTL, but still, I don't know where your stuff's been. I do after I freeze them.
[Reply]
ActionAndy 09:43 AM 01-13-2009
That box of Padrons is a nightmare...
[Reply]
Cyanide 09:58 AM 01-13-2009
Originally Posted by 14holestogie:
Good post, Shawn. I was always somewhat ambivalent to freezing, until I found one of my sticks (a tubo, no less) with a beetle hole. All stock then went through the freeze and all incoming continues to. I love all my BOTL/SOTL, but still, I don't know where your stuff's been. I do after I freeze them.
Are we going to have to start considering cigar condoms?
[Reply]
SmokinApe 12:51 PM 01-13-2009
I was getting ready to smoke a stick that I was bombed when I noticed a small hole... Inside the hole were tunnels with 3 beetles...
[Reply]
SilverFox 01:59 PM 01-13-2009

While I believe in the study I don't have any doubt that what you say is true.

Which leads me to believe that your beetles are somewhere else, perhaps in your humi? Maybe they are indigenous to your area? Do you frequent a B&M that might have them?

Knowing your penchant for research Wayne I am assuming you have thought of these things already.
[Reply]
BDC 02:20 PM 01-13-2009
I two have had a beetle outbreak twice and I freeze everything that comes in, I haven't had a problem sense I started this.. Only difference is I throw them directly into the freezer first..
[Reply]
bonjing 02:27 PM 01-13-2009
ok i have to ask, is there anyway to screw-up freezing cigars? like not taking out enough air, to many cigars in a bag?

are there any extra precautions i should take? i know the instructions are straight forward, but somehow i can find a way to screw it up. i think will try it out first on one cigar.
[Reply]
TDK08 04:56 PM 01-13-2009
Some articles say freezing cracks the microscopic eggs , others say it just makes live larvae and beetles die and the eggs go dormant. There are studies done after multiple freezings , then being exposed to high temps and the cigars have been overrun by beetles. Theres also studies where microwaves were used to kill the eggs and some eggs survived. Personally i dont know maybe these bastards survive all extremes like roaches, but if i see any infestation i wont hestitate to fuk them, eye for an eye i say :-)
[Reply]
md4958 05:01 PM 01-13-2009
Originally Posted by TDK08:
but if i see any infestation i wont hestitate to fuk them, :-)
hey, if it fits, go for it! :-)

[Reply]
TDK08 05:11 PM 01-13-2009
hey, if it fits, go for it! :-)

Who's a bad little beetle , yes u are , yes u are **rub, rub rub** LOL
[Reply]
Page 2 of 16
< 12 3412 > Last »
Up