Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>Coolidor question!
gomeitsmybday 04:27 AM 02-03-2021
Hey everyone!

So I've been enjoying my Coleman 120 quart coolers (3 total) functioning as my stash for long term aging humidors. I've had a few hiccups along the way (had to seal the spouts, and one required some weather stripping which works great btw) but generally speaking they have served me well.
However, I've noticed lately that by using 2 separate wifi (remote) hygrometers that the bottom of the coolidors often has a much higher rh than the top region. As much as an entire 1% difference.

Now...I've already done some preliminary research and found that some people recommend using a small battery powered fan to circulate the air within the coolidor which is a swell idea imo but there is a problem. Most people are recommending the Oust air freshener fan and it appears they have been discontinued for some time now.

I've actually even taken it upon myself to rig up some computer fans to a battery which worked great initially, but managed to completely drain the battery in a matter of days. I've considered trying to research and find a way to rig a timer to the fan & battery but my electrical engineering knowledge is limited at best.

So with all of that said, do any of you use fans in your coolidors/humidors? If so what fan do you use? Ideally looking for an affordable option but really open to any suggestion. Or, alternately, do you think that a 1% difference in rh within areas of s coolidor is fine? Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions and feedback!!
[Reply]
longknocker 05:05 AM 02-03-2021
I've Been Using Coolidors With Boveda Packs For Years Without Fans. I Wouldn't Worry About A 1% Difference In RH. Just Change Out The Boveda Packs When They Get Brittle.:-)
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 05:39 AM 02-03-2021
Like Greg says, don’t sweat a 1% difference.
[Reply]
RevSmoke 06:24 AM 02-03-2021
I do not believe a 1% difference matters. I enjoy my cigars best between 62-65%, so if top is near 62-63% you should be good.

Just my opinion.

Peace of the Lord be with you.
[Reply]
gomeitsmybday 07:10 AM 02-03-2021
Awesome! Thanks guys that is such a relief, always feels better to get a general consensus from everyone here as I know how much cumulative experience there is in this community. :-)
[Reply]
CigarSquid 09:41 AM 02-03-2021
As already stated, I believe you are fine without a fan. I too had a coolidor with 200+ cigars in it, no fan, no damage.
[Reply]
icehog3 10:43 AM 02-03-2021
Glad you got your questions answered, Michael. My answers would have been the same.
[Reply]
stearns 11:12 AM 02-03-2021
For the sake of redundancy, I'm going to add that you have nothing to worry about :-)

Pick a range you're comfortable with, something like a 3-4* wind (ex/ 61-65) and address it when it falls out of that window
[Reply]
longknocker 01:11 PM 02-03-2021
Originally Posted by stearns:
For the sake of redundancy, I'm going to add that you have nothing to worry about :-)

Pick a range you're comfortable with, something like a 3-4* wind (ex/ 61-65) and address it when it falls out of that window
:-)
[Reply]
hotreds 08:28 AM 02-04-2021
In the far east, they keep their stogies at about 50%. So, your only real worries are getting too high a humidity level- say above 75%. Anything between 50-75 should be fine, then you can adjust to preference. It's really not rocket science, no matter what the putative experts say. The gospel used to be 70/70 humidity, temperature. Now, 65% is preferred. And, if you keep the seagars between 60-75 degrees, you should be fine. Worry less, smoke more!

PS: I ONLY use coolerdors, I have 10 large ones, and use Boveda almost exclusively, including the big brick ones. Some beads as well. Mine stay about 60% and 70 degrees.
[Reply]
CigarSquid 10:11 AM 02-04-2021
The beads I found worked great in the coolier. Boveda for 'smaller' travel humidors.
[Reply]
DAFU 10:59 AM 02-04-2021
If your 'dors are close to practical capacity and the 'gars in boxes then I doubt that a fan would have any impact at all. I would be more concerned with temperature swings which is why the basement is an ideal storage space, for myself anyways.
[Reply]
CigarNut 12:34 PM 02-07-2021
As others have noted, a 1% difference is not much to worry about. However, I still use a battery operated fan because my it keeps air circulating even in a full humidor. There are several types of these fans available on Amazon — just search for “Battery Operated RV Refrigerator Fan”; for example:

https://www.amazon.com/Beech-Lane-Fr...s%2C186&sr=8-5
[Reply]
gomeitsmybday 03:59 AM 02-08-2021
Originally Posted by CigarNut:
As others have noted, a 1% difference is not much to worry about. However, I still use a battery operated fan because my it keeps air circulating even in a full humidor. There are several types of these fans available on Amazon — just search for “Battery Operated RV Refrigerator Fan”; for example:

https://www.amazon.com/Beech-Lane-Fr...s%2C186&sr=8-5

Excellent thanks for the link Michael!! I might still check that out then just to see what I think of having a fan in one of the coolidors. :-)
[Reply]
Up