Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
General Discussion>Tech Support.
jhedrick83 08:20 AM 11-21-2014
I'm hoping maybe so if you guys can help with this. I just upgraded the CPU, memory and the motherboard in my work computer. I also did a clean install of windows 8.1. Now Firefox won't stay open if I give it a couple tabs and I get this every time I try to open up Adobe Reader:Image

I have run both Memtest86 and the built in windows memory yet and they come back fine. I can post the specs if you want. Anyone have an idea what the hell is going on or how to fix it? There's 8 GB of ram and according to the task manager %15 or less is being used when this happens.
[Reply]
shilala 08:49 AM 11-21-2014
Double check that the memory you chose for the mobo is copasetic.
You'll need to go to the mobo manufacturer's website and cross-reference it to see if it's "okay'd for use with the mobo".
You'd be surprised how same spec memory won't work. It's maddening.
[Reply]
markem 09:04 AM 11-21-2014
Are the programs new downloads?

I'd check forums for the motherboard and maybe post a question or two at the support sites for the programs. Scott is likely on the right path, but don't rule out other issues as well.
[Reply]
Conch Republican 09:43 AM 11-21-2014
Or PM me your number and I will have someone call youand see if they can fix it
[Reply]
jhedrick83 11:03 AM 11-21-2014
It's not listed as supported. Of course. Everything else is fine and seems to have no issues. I might try an pick up some new RAM that is"approved". If that doesn't work I'll PM the Conch Republican. Thanks guys.
[Reply]
shilala 11:22 AM 11-21-2014
The same thing happened to me on my last build, Jesse.
I got some Corsair Extreme, well within specs and perfect for the board's abilities, and it didn't work at all.
I had to buy new "approved" stuff and sell the 16GB I had just bought.
Don't feel bad. It happens. :-)
That may not be it, but please update us one way or another, will ya?
[Reply]
jhedrick83 11:56 AM 11-21-2014
So I looked around town to try and find an approved set and of course nobody has any. As, I'm browsing Newegg, I figure give adobe reader a shot again. It's working fine and Firefox hasn't crashed in a bit. What the hell..:-)
[Reply]
shilala 12:04 PM 11-21-2014
I fought to get Windows installed, then did, then had all kinds of trouble before I started chasing. It made no sense. I can't remember how I figured out what the problem was.
[Reply]
Steve 12:10 PM 11-21-2014
I made the mistake of allowing Windows to update 8 to 8.1. All of my hi end video drivers were deemed unnecessary and sub-par by windows and replaced by Microsoft's choice. Much fun was had chasing down and forcing Windows to re-install what I wanted as opposed to what it wanted.

:-) for sure!
[Reply]
jhedrick83 12:11 PM 11-21-2014
I swear it's self aware. :-) No joke, the second I posted my last message Firefox crashed. It's odd because everything is running fine otherwise and I don't get any BSODs. Shopping for new RAM now. On my Ipad.
[Reply]
shilala 12:14 PM 11-21-2014
You should probably do a fresh install when you get the ram put in.
Save some grief.
Look for a pinched wire, too. If you have something going to ground, under a mobo standoff, that's another goof-storm of it's own.
[Reply]
jhedrick83 12:16 PM 11-21-2014
Originally Posted by shilala:
You should probably do a fresh install when you get the ram put in.
Save some grief.
Look for a pinched wire, too. If you have something going to ground, under a mobo standoff, that's another goof-storm of it's own.
That's what is killing me. I just did a fresh install when I swapped out the MOBO, CPU and RAM yesterday.
[Reply]
The Poet 12:18 PM 11-21-2014
It's the rise of the machines! We're all doomed, DOOMED!! :-)
[Reply]
jhedrick83 12:26 PM 11-21-2014
It's about to get doomed out the damn window...

New RAM ordered that conforms to their approved list. I'll update whenever it comes in.
[Reply]
The Poet 12:36 PM 11-21-2014
Originally Posted by jhedrick83:
It's about to get doomed out the damn window...

That won't save you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgLfOrVJJMg
[Reply]
jhedrick83 12:41 PM 11-21-2014
Originally Posted by The Poet:
That won't save you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgLfOrVJJMg
:-):-)

No, but it may be therapeutic!
[Reply]
WaRevo 03:29 PM 11-21-2014
Just little :-) there are times that even new MB ram and cpu even as new ends up being bad. There was some issues that I had for almost 6 months on a build a few years ago that drove me nuts. Come to find out there was some little thing (Don't remember now) that was bad. Everything would work for about the first hour of use as long as it wasn't playing games. Sadly where I bought it from has a you buy and install any issues is your issue. Honestly I think some of these can be returned/replaced and sold to the you take it you break it area to drive people nuts. After buying a new board it was all great. This was years ago and now I just buy Whole computers I don't want or need a Big gamer computer or anything special anymore.

Good luck hope the Ram is the issue
James
[Reply]
jhedrick83 10:48 AM 11-23-2014
So odd, the past two days it has been perfect. Haven't received the new RAM yet. Everything operates perfectly, no hangs, so errors, no nothing. Like I said. It's self aware...:-)
[Reply]
jhedrick83 08:54 AM 11-28-2014
I was more temperamental Tuesday and Wednesday. New RAM came Wednesday night, popped it in the morning and everything seems to be great! We will see how long that lasts. Thanks for the assist guys! :-)
[Reply]
shilala 11:14 AM 11-28-2014
Jesse, you should still do that fresh install.
Just cause Windows loaded doesn't mean there aren't errors everywhere that might eat your lunch later when you start loading a bunch of software and drivers.
I know it sucks, but you just gotta suck it up.
Then you should be gliding for sure.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up