Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
All Cigar Discussion>Cigar of the Month Clubs
maninblack 06:36 PM 02-22-2010
Anyone ever use these to try different sticks?I have thought about it but I'm not sure they are worth the risk. If anyone does belong to them, which ones are the best? I just don't want to get stuck with a bunch of cheapo cigars for $25/month. Any views?
[Reply]
Razorhog 06:38 PM 02-22-2010
I've contemplated joining one, but I think trades, and 5er's from Cbid will offer you better deals. Like you said, they throw in cheapo cigars from time to time.
[Reply]
CEC_Tech 06:40 PM 02-22-2010
From the pictures i've seen on some advertisements of cigar of the month clubs, there are a crapload of no-name brands you will get. Kinda like the Cheapo cigars in CI's catalogs. Cremosa Cubana's anyone?
[Reply]
maninblack 06:43 PM 02-22-2010
Thats what I'm afraid of. Guess I'll stick with cbid. Much easier.
[Reply]
kelmac07 06:51 PM 02-22-2010
I did the Thompson one when I first started smoking...still regret it!!! :-)
[Reply]
Razorhog 06:55 PM 02-22-2010
Originally Posted by kelmac07:
I did the Thompson one when I first started smoking...still regret it!!! :-)
Same here. A friend got me a gift certificate to Thompson's and I got a sampler. Some of the cigars were moldy :-(
[Reply]
E.J. 07:03 PM 02-22-2010
Originally Posted by maninblack:
Anyone ever use these to try different sticks?I have thought about it but I'm not sure they are worth the risk. If anyone does belong to them, which ones are the best? I just don't want to get stuck with a bunch of cheapo cigars for $25/month. Any views?
Think you would do better just posting a "WTB $25 Sampler" in the WTB section of this site once a month.....

Would take a bit more work on your part.....but I think it would be worth the few minutes more a month it would take...

Just my $.02....
[Reply]
maninblack 07:11 PM 02-22-2010
Yeah I'd say you're right about that E.J.
[Reply]
systm 07:21 PM 02-22-2010
Monthly clubs are, from what the older smokers say, pretty over priced for the sticks you get. Maybe one or two decent sticks but the rest are usually dog rockets.
[Reply]
Addiction 06:24 AM 02-23-2010
I would strongly reccomend against Cigar of the Month kinds of deals, looking at what comes out of those it doesn't appear to be worth it.
[Reply]
68TriShield 06:26 AM 02-23-2010
Sage advice here Kevin,heed it :-)
[Reply]
jsnake 07:22 AM 02-23-2010
I did this with CI for 2 months and I actually enjoyed it. I was on this Gurkha kick and this helped me branch out into other brands. The selections were great and the newsletter had great information. I know Cigar.com sends a great selection the first month you join and after that I am not sure. I don't have any regrets in trying them though. I might not have ever tried the Camacho Corojo if I hadn't received it from a CoM Club.

Like the other guys said though you can get more bang for your buck from the forums. I didn't know that back then.
[Reply]
shilala 07:31 AM 02-23-2010
Another option would be to hop on the newbie sampler trade. It's awesome. :-)
[Reply]
maverickdrinker 08:14 AM 02-23-2010
Don't bother. There are many 'samplers' offered here.
[Reply]
maninblack 03:46 AM 02-24-2010
Thanks for all the sage advice. Looks like overall, they are a pretty bad idea. And risky at that.
[Reply]
Garnoobie 08:09 PM 02-26-2010
Wow, I was thinking about this too, but I am glad I read this thread.
I guess I shouldn't expect it to be any different then that time I subscribed to the John Tesh CD of the month club, it was horrible.
[Reply]
Ranger_B 09:43 PM 02-26-2010
Yeah I can agree with all the other posters. Most of the cigar of the month clubs i have seen have 1 or 2 cigars you may like and then it is inventory clearance for the others. And with the newbie sampler trade here as well as other trades you can get the same effect with people you can trust. I can tell you I do the cigar of the month club at fullers pullers and have been pretty happy with it. Most of the sticks I receive are great with a few I dont care for.
[Reply]
G G 10:28 PM 02-26-2010
Kinda like the others have said, I have almost done it a time or two. Always didn't cause I would rather pick mine than them pick em.:-)
[Reply]
captain53 07:39 AM 02-27-2010
I tried one @ $22 per month (including postage) for 3 cigars and got some very interesting and usually good cigars that I would not have otherwise tried. All good quality cigars with a retail of $5-8 so not a rip-off at all. Now if I were one that goes to the B&M for most of my purchases (and I am not one to do that as their prices are mostly rediculous) it would have been a good deal. But since I am not one and I shop very hard for my purchases online taking full advantage of the specials and daily deals and almost never pay shipping costs they were not such a good deal. I cancelled it after about 6 months. :-)
[Reply]
tobii3 09:00 AM 02-27-2010
Okay...this oughtta date me horribly....

I was a LONG time member of one.

$14.95 (included shipping) for 5 sticks every month. No kidding. And I NEVER got a "house brand" or "sh*tstick" the entire time.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up