Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
All Cigar Discussion>Joya Cabinetta Series
neoflex 09:24 PM 02-15-2010
Anyone seen these yet? Very interesting nonetheless. Figured I would share with the rest of the nut house.:-)
http://www.scribd.com/doc/26892714/J...-Press-Release
[Reply]
Emjaysmash 09:26 PM 02-15-2010
I saw the release. Looks very interesting. I'll need to pick up a few!
[Reply]
TheRiddick 09:28 PM 02-15-2010
Smoked one yesterday. If you like Alec Bradley Tempus or Illusione, then I am sure you'll like these as well. Full bodied, creamy and rich with the maduro wrapper adding some spice as well (once you get there).
[Reply]
mariogolbee 09:29 PM 02-15-2010
I smoked one last week at a tasting and it was fairly good. I wasn't jumping up and down for joy, but it was good. I think I saw a review somewhere here for them.

Edit: In fact I think it was Greg, who posted just before me, that posted the review.
[Reply]
T.G 09:32 PM 02-15-2010
Have one, haven't smoked it yet. I'll get around to it eventually.
[Reply]
Ratters 09:37 PM 02-15-2010
I've smoked a few. Prefer the flavor and strength of an Antano, but the flavors of the Cabinetta are very interesting and it's always changing. It's really more of a medium stick. I'll smoke more of them. And it's actually a connecticut wrapper and a criollo wrapper I believe.
[Reply]
neoflex 09:38 PM 02-15-2010
Looks like I am behind the times.:-) Actually I'm not surprised some of you have these sticks in your possession. You guys are nuttier than me.:-) It'll probably be awhile before I see them around here but I will harass the locals with weekly phone calls until they arrive. Most of my locals have not even gotten any of the AF Rosados in yet and they have been out a while so I'll be sure not to hold my breathe waiting on these to show up on the shelves. One of the very few things I miss about no longer being in NY. Most of the locals had a full array of the latest and greatest and often times would be sold out by the time I found out about some of the new lines. There seems to be a bottle neck when it comes to some of these smokes making their way to the Charlotte area.
[Reply]
mariogolbee 09:50 PM 02-15-2010
Originally Posted by Ratters:
Prefer the flavor and strength of an Antano, but the flavors of the Cabinetta are very interesting and it's always changing. It's really more of a medium stick. And it's actually a connecticut wrapper and a criollo wrapper I believe.
I agree with you completely on these notes Steve. That's what I guessed the wrapper was to the rep and he confirmed it.

Originally Posted by neoflex:
It'll probably be awhile before I see them around...
:-) I'm already behind on my shipments so I don't know when I'll send it but I have one. It will make it's way to your doorstep at some point John.
[Reply]
Robert Mabona 09:53 PM 02-15-2010
Originally Posted by TheRiddick:
Smoked one yesterday. If you like Alec Bradley Tempus or Illusione, then I am sure you'll like these as well. Full bodied, creamy and rich with the maduro wrapper adding some spice as well (once you get there).
um, no. the cigar is slightly stronger than mild. pleasant, but mono-dimensional. the maduro leaf(as explained by marvin samel) is too short to be smoked and is intended to be tasted for it's unlit qualities.
[Reply]
Ratters 10:02 PM 02-15-2010
Really? I didn't find it strong, but definitely didn't find it mono-dimensional.
[Reply]
Emjaysmash 10:04 PM 02-15-2010
Originally Posted by Robert Mabona:
um, no. the cigar is slightly stronger than mild. pleasant, but mono-dimensional. the maduro leaf(as explained by marvin samel) is too short to be smoked and is intended to be tasted for it's unlit qualities.
Really? I didn't find it strong, but definitely didn't find it mono-dimensional.
Ooooh, controvesy!!

: popcorn emoticon:
[Reply]
mariogolbee 10:04 PM 02-15-2010
I found to not be extremely complex but it did have a few shifts in flavor. It wasn't really all that mild either. The strength seemed to develop as I smoked it.
[Reply]
TheRiddick 10:18 PM 02-15-2010
Originally Posted by Robert Mabona:
I find Camachos on a mild side, FYI, and milder than this stick (Corona size). There is enough maduro there to get a decent taste of it, spice and all. Once you leave the Criollo wrapper and get into Maduro, you DO notice a flavor change and I was happy to nub it. Smoke one on an empty stomach, let me know how mild it is. Had it been mild, I'd have tossed it pretty early (had it after a meal).
If there is one negative there, it is the slight underfill, which leads to ash breaking off at about 2/3 of an inch (even though there is a solid feel to the cigar?).
[Reply]
Ratters 10:25 PM 02-15-2010
There is no maduro in the stick, it's a shade grown connecticut (I'm pretty sure that's what they said) and the criollo at the tip. And I smoke it well into the criollo. :-)
[Reply]
mariogolbee 10:26 PM 02-15-2010
Originally Posted by TheRiddick:
If there is one negative there, it is the slight underfill, which leads to ash breaking off at about 2/3 of an inch (even though there is a solid feel to the cigar?).
I hate when that happens. My experience easily gained me 2"+ on ash length. This was simply my own personal experience though.
[Reply]
mariogolbee 10:31 PM 02-15-2010
There is no maduro in the stick, it's a shade grown connecticut (I'm pretty sure that's what they said) and the criollo at the tip. And I smoke it well into the criollo. :-)
:-) This is what the Drew Estates rep confirmed with me as well. I was looking online at a retailer site that says something about maduro and natural. The rep said otherwise though.
[Reply]
T.G 10:33 PM 02-15-2010

From the link in post #1:
----------------

At first glance, you will notice the Cabinetta Serie features two wrappers, a top-grade Equadorian Shade which
covers its entire length with the head then finished in a second cover leaf of rich, Nicaraguan Criollo
. Aptly named
by the factory as “Dos Capas”, this technique allows the smoke itself to be creamy and smooth, yet provide a
spicy flavor for the consumer without making the smoke itself to strong. “Unlike the common, double-wrapped
‘barber pole’ cigars, which is primarily for appearance sake, this Dos Capas-style actually offers the cigar smoker
a different and unique flavor and aroma,” states Dr. Alejandro Martinez Cuenca, JdN’s owner and master blender.

--end

The criollo wrapper is dark enough that it could be graded as a maduro though.
[Reply]
Ratters 10:36 PM 02-15-2010
Ah, thanks for that Adam, I guess I shoulda clicked on the link. :-)
[Reply]
Robert Mabona 10:52 PM 02-15-2010
again, marvin samel called it maduro.
[Reply]
mariogolbee 10:58 PM 02-15-2010
I like cake.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up