Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
All Cigar Discussion>Picked up a few sticks
Flounder 11:13 AM 06-14-2011
So on my lunch break, I went to pick up some butane at my B & M to refil my lighter, and of course I cant get in there without walking out with SOMETHING I can smoke.

So I purchased the following:

1 - Oliva Serie V Especial Liga ($7.99)
1 - Flor de Oliva ($3.49)
1 - Mexican Segundo ($1.79)

Anyone heard of the last 2? I never have, just picked them up because they were cheap. If they're any good I'll post them to the Cheap Smokes thread, but I am excited to try to Serie V.
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 11:18 AM 06-14-2011
Like Meatloaf sang: 2 out of 3 ain't bad.

The FdO is a very solid and popular cigar. The third.....well........you might like it. :-)

:-)
[Reply]
DaBear 11:18 AM 06-14-2011
Flors are great cheap smokes
[Reply]
big a 11:22 AM 06-14-2011
Which Flor De Oliva did you get? For the price they are a very solid smoke. I tend to go for the maduro when I have one.

I have never heard of the Mexican Segundo. Let us know what its like.
[Reply]
Tyler 11:50 AM 06-14-2011
Great pickups. Never heard of the last one but the Flor is a good everyday cigar to me. It is perfect for the golf course or work but you can also enjoy it sitting out back with a cold one.
[Reply]
N2 GOLD 12:19 PM 06-14-2011
I told you, thats how it starts... :-)
[Reply]
Killian 12:26 PM 06-14-2011
Flor de Oliva is one I go to very often when I'm in the yard or on the course. They are better with a little rest as well. I usually buy by the bundle so they have plenty of time.
[Reply]
Flounder 12:48 PM 06-14-2011
I might pick up a bundle if I like it the next time I'm in there. I'm not shocked that no one has heard of the Segundo, but I figured for $1.79, I couldn't go wrong.
[Reply]
jesseboston81 12:49 PM 06-14-2011
Originally Posted by Flounder:
...but I figured for $1.79, I couldn't go wrong.
Oh, you'd be surprised...
[Reply]
Flounder 12:51 PM 06-14-2011
I guess my point is, if it sucks and I chuck it, I'm out less than $2, and that's the absolute worst case scenario.
[Reply]
Flounder 12:51 PM 06-14-2011
Originally Posted by big a:
Which Flor De Oliva did you get? For the price they are a very solid smoke. I tend to go for the maduro when I have one.

I have never heard of the Mexican Segundo. Let us know what its like.
I'm not sure. Forgot to check the box, not sure if the label will tell me. I live between work and the cigar shop, so I dropped it in my humi on the way back to work.
[Reply]
Remo 12:52 PM 06-14-2011
I might pick up a bundle if I like it the next time I'm in there. I'm not shocked that no one has heard of the Segundo, but I figured for $1.79, I couldn't go wrong.
:-):-):-) Yes you can!!!
[Reply]
Bill86 12:54 PM 06-14-2011
Yeah, some really cheap sticks taste like...."insert something REALLY foul here".

For me $3-$4 if spent correctly will buy you a decent-good smoke. This of course ISN'T at a B&M.

You usually have to spend much more there. Probably $6-$10, especially after taxes.....
[Reply]
Flounder 12:56 PM 06-14-2011
The average Fuente (my benchmark because it's one of my favorites) is like $6-10...
[Reply]
jesseboston81 01:14 PM 06-14-2011
We all joke about the $1.79 cigar, but don't get bogged down in thinking that price somehow directly relates to quality. My vino is full of cigars that I really enjoy smoking--cigars that anyone here would be happy to smoke--and I can't think of a single one that cost me even $10. In fact, all of my go-to's are in the $4-5 range or less. There can be some correlation between price and quality, but it's more likely that a low price cigar is crap (although even then there are exceptions) than a high price cigar is good.

I'm sure many will disagree with me. This is an age-old debate. The key is to smoke what you like and like what you smoke. (And the other key--once you find what you like, you can probably find it for cheaper.)
[Reply]
DaBear 01:47 PM 06-14-2011
Originally Posted by Bill86:
For me $3-$4 if spent correctly will buy you a decent-good smoke. This of course ISN'T at a B&M.
Eh, not exactly. Berger & Argenti Mooches can be had for as low as $4 at work(comes out to like $4.50 after taxes) and they're great light smokes. And you can typically find some Flors for $3. Perdomo Frescos are also easily found under $4 at a B&M, they're my go to if I just want something to smoke and want something not very complex.
[Reply]
cmitch 04:13 PM 06-14-2011
So on my lunch break, I went to pick up some butane at my B & M to refil my lighter, and of course I cant get in there without walking out with SOMETHING I can smoke.

So I purchased the following:

1 - Oliva Serie V Especial Liga ($7.99)
1 - Flor de Oliva ($3.49)
1 - Mexican Segundo ($1.79)

Anyone heard of the last 2? I never have, just picked them up because they were cheap. If they're any good I'll post them to the Cheap Smokes thread, but I am excited to try to Serie V.
Have you subscribed to the Cigar Asylum newsletter yet? PM me your addy and I'll send you a copy.:-)
[Reply]
pnoon 05:47 PM 06-14-2011
. . . but I figured for $1.79, I couldn't go wrong.
wanna bet? :-)
[Reply]
OLS 05:52 PM 06-14-2011
So that's how they're doin it. The wonders of desktop publishing.
[Reply]
Tyler 05:52 PM 06-14-2011
Originally Posted by cmitch:
Have you subscribed to the Cigar Asylum newsletter yet? PM me your addy and I'll send you a copy.:-)
:-)
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up