Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 5 of 21
« First < 345 6715 > Last »
Wine, Beer, and Spirits>What is your favorite Scotch Whisky
Django 10:55 AM 12-09-2008
At the moment my favorite is the 21 yr Glengoyne (i got a bottle in december 2007 at the distillery).
But off course it depends on the moment.
The Balvenie Port Wood is also high on my list.
[Reply]
Partagaspete 12:40 PM 12-09-2008
right now I would say the one I am drinking which is Talisker Distillers Edition. Nice and smokey with some peat but not enough to blow yer head off if you know what I mean. I am not sure of the availablity of this model since I got it in SCotalnd at the Glenkinchie distillery. Glenkinchie was too mild for me, nice but too light so I tried this one and bought it. got a nice traditional whisky glass in the bargain and I am not damned of it doesn't improve it. Probably because you really get the aroma first and scent does greatly effect taste. Oh! another thing is I noticed that when I add a very small amount of cold water it really brings out the amoma and flavors. Now I am rambling so I will let you go.

T
[Reply]
kayaker 12:53 PM 12-09-2008
Originally Posted by Partagaspete:
right now I would say the one I am drinking which is Talisker Distillers Edition. Nice and smokey with some peat but not enough to blow yer head off if you know what I mean. I am not sure of the availablity of this model since I got it in SCotalnd at the Glenkinchie distillery. Glenkinchie was too mild for me, nice but too light so I tried this one and bought it. got a nice traditional whisky glass in the bargain and I am not damned of it doesn't improve it. Probably because you really get the aroma first and scent does greatly effect taste. Oh! another thing is I noticed that when I add a very small amount of cold water it really brings out the amoma and flavors. Now I am rambling so I will let you go.

T
Sounds good to me. Pour up another dram and ramble on.:-)
[Reply]
Scottw 12:57 PM 12-09-2008
Originally Posted by kayaker:
Sounds good to me. Pour up another dram and ramble on.:-)
:-):-)
[Reply]
Heliofire 01:06 PM 12-09-2008
My Favorite hands down is the Glenmorangie Signet which is just being released right now, we have been about to get a couple of bottles of it at the cigar bar I work at part time. It is awesome but pricey about 200 a bottle to us at the bar.
[Reply]
kayaker 02:18 PM 12-19-2008
Lagavulin 16 was my first introduction to the world of peaty Scotches. I loved it from the start.

My lovely wife has a bottle for me for Christmas (I found out by accident), which will complement the bottle of 12 year cask strength (2006) that I picked up for me.

It's going to be a good Christmas indeed.:-)
[Reply]
blugill 04:47 PM 12-19-2008
Lagavulin 16 has got to be one of the best single malts out there!
[Reply]
Darrell 05:16 PM 12-19-2008
Originally Posted by blugill:
Agreed. It's my favorite. :-)
[Reply]
Partagaspete 05:22 PM 12-19-2008
Originally Posted by blugill:
I too agree that this is an epic single malt, very good and one of my favorites especially in the winter. If you haven't had Talisker I highly recommend it. Not as peaty but I feel it has a bit more character.

Either way you can't go wrong.

T
[Reply]
MadAl 09:37 AM 12-20-2008
One of the best indeed! I've been favoring Springbank, Glenmorangie Portwood, and Bowmore Darkest recently
[Reply]
Studebaker 08:01 AM 12-30-2008
I'm a Scotch newb and know just enough about Scotch to know I don't know much yet. I picked up a bottle of Glenfiddich 12 just before Christmas that is very nice.

I was at a party last night where a former boss of mine loaned me his copy of Michael Jackson's Concise Malt Whisky Companion. He pointed out the Highland Park 12 that sells for ~$40 in these parts and was scored at 90 in the book. That'll be the next stop on my journey.
[Reply]
blugill 09:14 AM 12-30-2008
Originally Posted by Partagaspete:
I too agree that this is an epic single malt, very good and one of my favorites especially in the winter. If you haven't had Talisker I highly recommend it. Not as peaty but I feel it has a bit more character.

Either way you can't go wrong.

T
I've had the Talisker. No doubt a good single malt. I do liken Caol Ila to being close to Lagavulin. It is good but missing something that would make it the quality of Lagavulin.
[Reply]
MadAl 09:54 AM 12-30-2008
Originally Posted by Studebaker:
I was at a party last night where a former boss of mine loaned me his copy of Michael Jackson's Concise Malt Whisky Companion. He pointed out the Highland Park 12 that sells for ~$40 in these parts and was scored at 90 in the book. That'll be the next stop on my journey.
Have a bottle of Highland Park stashed at my Mom's when I'm there visiting. It is a really nice pour.
[Reply]
gvarsity 11:12 AM 12-30-2008
I have been enjoying the Glenrothes 1991 recently. A very tasty dram.

For me so much of it is what I am in the mood for at the moment. I love the Lagavulin 16 year and the The Macallan 18 Year but they are so different. Sometimes I want the peat and sea salt and sometimes I want the Carmel richness. So much depends on setting, what you are smoking or eating just your general mood. I won't turn down any good single malt but pairings can make them that much better.
[Reply]
AD720 02:32 PM 12-30-2008
I am new to Scotch (about 2 months) but I've been a bourbon man for a while.

Blends -
Chivas Regal 12
Dewar's 12

Single Malt -
Bowmore
Macallan 10

I will start to read this thread from the beginning. I am looking for something in the same sort of price range as the Bowmore that is a little more balanced. I had a bottle of Glenlivet in my hand the other day...
[Reply]
wayner123 12:29 PM 12-31-2008
I have tried some Glenfiddich 12, 15 and 18yr over the last few nights. Out of the 3 my Favorite was the 12yr. It had a saltyness that the others did not. I know the usual response is the older (more aged) the better, but for me in this instance it was not.
[Reply]
ChasDen 07:53 PM 12-31-2008
Ive always been a Chivas drinker and tried to stay away from the single malts simply because I'm afraid to spend a Benjamin and find out its crap :-)

I did buy a bottle of Speyburn 10 Year Old Single Malt to test the waters and it was very nice.

Goes well with a good cigar and a full belly :-)

Chas

[Reply]
nozero 09:52 AM 01-01-2009
Originally Posted by HK3-:
Yamazaki made by Sunatory. While expensive it's fairly cheap compared to Johnny Blue. Who would have thought that the Japanese would make great scotch! :-)
I found a bottle of this marked down From $50.00 to $39.99 Tuesday. Maybe I'll try it out tonight.
Attached: Yamazaki.jpg (48.1 KB) 
[Reply]
JohnnyFlake 10:15 AM 01-01-2009
Originally Posted by ChasDen:
Ive always been a Chivas drinker and tried to stay away from the single malts simply because I'm afraid to spend a Benjamin and find out its crap :-)

I did buy a bottle of Speyburn 10 Year Old Single Malt to test the waters and it was very nice.

Goes well with a good cigar and a full belly :-)

Chas
I will assume that your into the standard Chivas, which is a 12yo, and very good. However, if you really want to fall in love, and down a new slope, give Chivas 18yo a try. It's amazing, however, it will set you back about sixty bucks a bottle. It's a blend and far better than most Single Malts out there!
[Reply]
Genetic Defect 12:22 PM 01-01-2009
whatever it was while at Dokk's. the first Scotch I could drink.
[Reply]
Page 5 of 21
« First < 345 6715 > Last »
Up