Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Warped cigars la Colmena Amado No 44
markem 02:38 PM 05-01-2015
Or, "Hell Hath Frozen Over Big Time"

I don't do a lot of NCs and rarely buy more than a stick or two, but ...

I am on Maui and happened to get together with some people for a herf. One person, Marvin, was over from Oahu. I believe that he runs the part of R.Fields that handles wines and cigars.

Marvin brought over a box of these cigars and passed them out. The wrapper is beautiful, the aroma pre-light is fantastic and the draw is perfect once you realize that it is closed-foot (Doh!).

For the type of cigar that I like to smoke, this is by far the best NC that I've had in the last 10+ years. Has some good complexity, clean burn, big smoke volume and just plain great taste. I had a Monsdale right after and there wasn't a huge difference in quality of the smoke - how's that for being Cuban-esque. I smoked a second one the next night at another herf.

I plan to buy a box and share them with friends who normally don't smoke NCs. I think that they may start buying these.

http://www.warpedcigars.com/pages/la-colmena
[Reply]
warpedcigars 03:02 PM 05-01-2015
So glad you enjoyed! La Colmena was a blend that is very close to me and my love of Habanos!
[Reply]
Remo 03:25 PM 05-01-2015
Sweet, may give them a shot, thanks Mark!
[Reply]
Ogre 03:44 PM 05-01-2015
Sounds like a try for me.
[Reply]
Porch Dweller 03:48 PM 05-01-2015
...and my "to try" list keeps growing and growing. :-) Thanks for the review!
[Reply]
MarkinAZ 05:23 PM 05-01-2015
Nice review Mark:-) I'll have to pick up some next time I 'm over in the city of Orange. Apparently the only B&M in Cali that carries the beehive and bear...
[Reply]
jdakine 05:50 PM 05-01-2015
Marvin has 2 shops that carry them on Oahu. Myself as well, don't smoke many NC's, but when Marvin gave me one a few months ago, I really enjoyed the cigar. First time, in a long time I have bought a box of NC's.
[Reply]
pnoon 08:10 PM 05-01-2015
You've got me thinking, Mark.
[Reply]
CigarNut 08:50 PM 05-01-2015
May have to give those a try -- thanks for the review!
[Reply]
stearns 08:23 AM 05-02-2015
Thanks for posting this up Mark
[Reply]
Xolotal Mungin 08:02 PM 05-02-2015
Haven't tried this, but the Flor de Valle was also a great smoke and beat the pants off of Sherman's "Cubanesque" release. Got to check this one out.
[Reply]
mc808 03:31 AM 05-03-2015
Glad you enjoyed it Mark! I know it's hard to impress you and Jay. You two have awesome cigar collections.
[Reply]
dijit 04:10 AM 05-03-2015
I too have been lucky enough to try these and while my exposure to CC's has been very limited these are one of my favorite NC's. Cant wait to get my own box.
[Reply]
Porch Dweller 06:21 AM 05-03-2015
Unfortunately there's no vendor close to me. If someone wants to do a box split I'd be interested.
[Reply]
MarkinAZ 10:50 AM 05-09-2015
Originally Posted by Porch Dweller:
Unfortunately there's no vendor close to me. If someone wants to do a box split I'd be interested.
James, you can check out there web page here for online retailers too (you may have done that already):

http://www.warpedcigars.com/pages/retailers

For example: Maximar Cigars (B&M) is located in the city of Orange, CA, but is a distance to drive to. They also run the web site SmallBatchCigar.com. So I can peruse their boutique selection, including the Warps. My only downside here is Cali Sales Tx and shipping, which would leave me to go outside Cali to purchase...
[Reply]
Porch Dweller 11:53 AM 05-09-2015
I checked that out the other day. Unfortunately the closest is about five hours away or so.
[Reply]
Up