Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>La Flor Dominicana Ligero Cabinet Oscuro
Xolotal Mungin 07:45 PM 12-29-2014
Disclaimer: this is cribbed from my blog, but I did want to post something about these cigars.

First off, I wanted to say that I found this to be an absolutely sublime smoking experience. But I’m also going to use this review (per se) as a place to speak a little bit about the nature of reviewing cigars. It is very common for reviewers to talk about white pepper versus red pepper and black pepper, hints of cedar etc. Honestly, I can tell the difference between pepper in my kitchen, but in a cigar? If you’ve ever smelled cinnamon from different regions, you know that they vary wildly, so when notes of cinnamon are referenced, what does that mean? All this preamble to say that although I enjoy a wide variety of different cigars with varying profiles, but I can’t always identify what the “notes” or flavors are. Wine and artisan chocolate seem to have readily identifiable notes, and it may be some lack on my part, but I often have trouble parsing out these same distinctions in cigars. I also know that it takes time for me to really get to know a cigar, and that sometimes I love it and I am completely baffled when, a week later, I’m unimpressed. Not being of the tax bracket with a lovely walk-in and multiple boxes, my range of experience is limited to what I can afford.

Anyway, without further ado, I wanted to talk a little about this cigar. It is dark and oily looking, but not a maduro, rather an Ecuadorian Sumatran wrapper aged with some proprietary process. It is quite delicate, but lusciously oily. The stick is very dense, in the way that some entubado sticks are, so expect a long, slow, rich smoke.

I have to say, that although it is one of the richer cigars I have smoked, it is not the classic spice-bomb. In fact one of the most notable and pleasant features for me was its consistently subtle richness. I’d have to say that a loamy, dark, creamy wood impression is the best I can convey. The smoke is thick, the burn slow and cool and I have to say one of my more pleasurable smoking experiences. A quality – and truly unique – stick that I highly recommend trying. I will definitely be stocking up on some more and will comment further if I have gained any further insight.

[Reply]
Ogre 08:15 PM 12-29-2014
One of my favorites. Great solid cigar.
[Reply]
sigsauer 08:25 PM 12-29-2014
what size was this cigar?
[Reply]
RobR1205 09:08 PM 12-29-2014
Awesome looking wrapper on that stick!
[Reply]
Xolotal Mungin 09:47 PM 12-29-2014
Originally Posted by sigsauer:
what size was this cigar?
L300 from memory: 5.7 x 50.
[Reply]
JohnnyFlake 10:36 AM 12-30-2014
Yes, that is a classic tasting quality cigar!
[Reply]
Stevez 04:10 PM 12-30-2014
Great review and fits my preferred profile to a "t". I'll have to pick some up. Thanks.
[Reply]
longknocker 05:30 PM 12-30-2014
Great Review On A Delicious Stick!:-):-)
[Reply]
oldforge 02:01 PM 01-13-2015
These age very well--if you can keep your hands off them.
[Reply]
Xolotal Mungin 10:53 AM 01-18-2015
The pix disappeared because of some bullshit with the hosting site. Here they are again.

[Reply]
Xolotal Mungin 10:55 AM 01-18-2015
Originally Posted by oldforge:
These age very well--if you can keep your hands off them.
I can tell they will. If I can do it!
[Reply]
badbriar 08:06 PM 01-21-2015
Good review- one of my absolute favorites! :-)
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 06:21 AM 01-22-2015
That one will send you flying to the sky, not a beginner's cigar. One of the better NC brands IMO.
[Reply]
Up