Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>An Old Padron
Flynnster 11:27 AM 12-14-2014
As some of you may have seen I stopped by a local shop and they had a box of Padrons from 1994. Nice yellow cello, the owner said it would be a completely new experience for me. I want to preface this review saying I'm never smoked anything with any age on it so some of what I say might be "duh" for the guys used to older sticks.

Pre-light: Started off carefully taking off the cello, really didn't want to tear anything in case this was a delicate cigar. Turns out I had nothing to worry about. A very thick wrapper and a firm cigar, nothing delicate about it at all. Had a stronger smell than I expected, I assumed with all the age there wouldn't be much going on pre light. Cut it carefully and took a few draws, all sweet hay.

First Third: SMOOTH I think this may have been the smoothest cigar I've ever had. Lots of smoke both on the draw and when resting. Very floral flavors, particularly on the retrohale. after an inch or so a mix of cream and hay with bits of vanilla and cinnamon popping up.

Second Third: The smoothness continues, and it's not a lack of flavor like a Connecticut or anything, just what is there is great. Ash continues to fall of every half in or so regularly. As the second half continues the floral notes begin to subside and the creaminess becomes more prominent.

Final Third: Transition into more deep/leather flavors. Still very smooth with no hint of spice or pepper ever. Occasionally get a hint of dark chocolate/cocoa.

Ended it with about an inch and a half to go, flavors got harsh. Lasted me a 1.25 hours, and what a great time it was. I'm worried this is going to send me down a rabbit hole of aged sticks....
[Reply]
dijit 11:53 AM 12-14-2014
Welcome to the old sticks club. Took me about 10 years before I had my first aged stick. That was about 20 years ago.
[Reply]
Remo 12:36 PM 12-14-2014
Nice review :-)
[Reply]
Porch Dweller 12:36 PM 12-14-2014
Good review!
[Reply]
jhedrick83 07:51 PM 12-14-2014
Nice review, you can beat a well rested stick. Especially a Maduro!!:-)
[Reply]
MarkinAZ 08:09 PM 12-14-2014
Nice review and glad you enjoyed the aged Padron:-)
[Reply]
CigarNut 08:40 PM 12-14-2014
You can never go wrong with Padron -- I am glad you were able to enjoy a nice aged one.

Thanks for the review!
[Reply]
Blueface 07:51 PM 12-17-2014
Man, shoot me for being nuts.
I love a Padron. Any Padron. Anni best but any. Can never keep them in my humi.
[Reply]
jjirons69 08:52 PM 12-18-2014
I bet that thing was tasty. They're good to start with and I don't see why they wouldn't age well. In these cold months I love that leathery, chocolate flavor.
[Reply]
Up