Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Good Eats>Advice from the masters
pnoon 10:06 AM 11-24-2014
Originally Posted by badbriar:
For some first class recipes and instructions on how to smoke anything, do a google search and type in BBQ FAQ. It is under www.eaglequest.com/~bbq.
Absolutely best place for smoking ever. Ribs, Brisket and Butt instructions are dead on and will give you perfect BBQ every time! Be sure to try the rib glaze!!! I used to cook on a competition BBQ team here in FL for a couple of years and we started with this site for information. First competition, we came in 5th place out of 28. Not too shabby for rookies, but the info from this site was the secret ingredient!

:-)
I'll have to check out that link.

I am partial to www.amazingribs.com
It also has a $hit ton of info on the science behind the cooking.
[Reply]
G G 10:35 AM 11-24-2014
Awesome info, thanks.
[Reply]
BigAsh 01:55 PM 11-24-2014
Originally Posted by Steve:

Gotta look after my brother!
I still don't like Steve....but he's inching up the ladder...:-)....nice to see one nice guy helping out another nice guy!
[Reply]
G G 02:20 PM 11-24-2014
Hey big Keith, how you been?
[Reply]
kydsid 06:55 PM 11-24-2014
Originally Posted by G G:
I appreciate the great advice friends. I talked to Steve today and the situation has been remedied. He has a solution that mutually benefits both of us. Thanks Steve.

Gotta look after my brother!
Free smoker in exchange for 20% of all cooked materials delivered to Steve's front door? :-)
[Reply]
G G 06:55 PM 11-24-2014
Originally Posted by kydsid:
Free smoker in exchange for 20% of all cooked materials delivered to Steve's front door? :-)
Nah he hit me for 50%.:-)
[Reply]
Steve 07:18 PM 11-24-2014
Originally Posted by kydsid:
Nah he hit me for 50%.:-)
:-):-)
[Reply]
MikeyC 08:44 PM 11-24-2014
TG and Dom, I like that Pit Barrel Cooker and will probably order one when the money situation gets better. :-)
I bought a PBC earlier this year when I decided I was fed up with my ECB. So far I've cooked baby backs, beef back ribs, short ribs, and brisket in it and it's been awesome. The food always turns out great and it's an incredibly easy smoker to use. Load it once with charcoal and it goes 8-10 hours without touching it. Plus, no water pan to refill. Just light it up, hang the meat, put the cover on, and that's it. Couldn't be easier. :-)
[Reply]
Porch Dweller 08:53 PM 11-24-2014
I like my WSM, but I've heard so much about the PBC that I'm thinking about picking one up. Does anyone here have experience with both? I'd be interested in a comparison.
[Reply]
Steve 07:26 AM 11-25-2014
Originally Posted by MikeyC:
I bought a PBC earlier this year when I decided I was fed up with my ECB. So far I've cooked baby backs, beef back ribs, short ribs, and brisket in it and it's been awesome. The food always turns out great and it's an incredibly easy smoker to use. Load it once with charcoal and it goes 8-10 hours without touching it. Plus, no water pan to refill. Just light it up, hang the meat, put the cover on, and that's it. Couldn't be easier. :-)
Even when I use a smoker with a water pan, I don't use a liquid in it. All the water is used for is to create a thermal barrier so the food is cooked indirectly instead of directly over the fire. Using a liquid, it is near impossible (in my experience) to get a decent bark. Instead, I use playground sand. This creates the required thermal barrier and allows my product to form a delicious crust.

My $0.002. YMMV.

Enjoy!
[Reply]
BigAsh 08:00 AM 11-25-2014
Hey big Keith, how you been?
All good double G!....been a month of Sundays since last time I saw you....hopefully soon my friend, good Lord willing and the creek don't rise....:-)

Even when I use a smoker with a water pan, I don't use a liquid in it. All the water is used for is to create a thermal barrier so the food is cooked indirectly instead of directly over the fire. Using a liquid, it is near impossible (in my experience) to get a decent bark. Instead, I use playground sand. This creates the required thermal barrier and allows my product to form a delicious crust.

My $0.002. YMMV.

Enjoy!
and you got sand to play with when yer done!
[Reply]
Steve 08:08 AM 11-25-2014
Originally Posted by BigAsh:
All good double G!....been a month of Sundays since last time I saw you....hopefully soon my friend, good Lord willing and the creek don't rise....:-)

and you got sand to play with when yer done!
Sand with pig fat to be exact :-):-)
[Reply]
G G 06:55 AM 11-28-2014
After reading the replies here and watching all the videos on the PBC site, reading reviews on bbq forums and whatnot. I talked to Steve and he's cool with it, cause he knows I appreciate his friendship and his offer. I have decided to purchase a PBC. I am not a cook and my skills aren't up to par as most of you that do smoking and cooking on a grill. The simplicity of using the PBC sold me. I found a deal on Amazon that allows me to apply for an Amazon CC and get $40 off, and six months same as cash. I just pulled the trigger this morning as I was hoping there would be a little more savings with Black Friday but there wasn't. So for $265 I get the PBC and a Weber 7416 Rapidfire Chimney Starter. Not a bad deal at all and I can't wait to get it so I can become a smokemaster like you all.:-)

Again, thanks for the advice and help. I can always count on you to help brothers.
[Reply]
Steve 08:25 AM 11-28-2014
I'm looking forward to checking it out when you get it, not to mention sampling some of the vittles!
[Reply]
Porch Dweller 08:54 AM 11-28-2014
Awesome, Greg! Just be sure to post some pic's in the "What's in your smoker" thread. I look forward to hearing about your experiences with the PBC as I'm mulling over picking one up once we get to our new house next year.
[Reply]
G G 09:44 AM 11-28-2014
I'm looking forward to checking it out when you get it, not to mention sampling some of the vittles!
I would like to have yall out soon and we can do it. :-)

Wife said I can't actually open it til Christmas though, but it might not get here til then cause there is a backlog.

Originally Posted by Porch Dweller:
Awesome, Greg! Just be sure to post some pic's in the "What's in your smoker" thread. I look forward to hearing about your experiences with the PBC as I'm mulling over picking one up once we get to our new house next year.
Will def post some pics.:-)
[Reply]
G G 09:56 AM 11-28-2014
Well looks like I have got to be tortured for a few weeks. The PBC was supposedly on a 2 to 5 week timeline for shipping. I ordered it at 8:30 this morning and I just got notification from Amazon that it has shipped.
[Reply]
Steve 10:58 AM 11-29-2014
Well looks like I have got to be tortured for a few weeks. The PBC was supposedly on a 2 to 5 week timeline for shipping. I ordered it at 8:30 this morning and I just got notification from Amazon that it has shipped.
:-) :-)
[Reply]
G G 11:13 AM 11-29-2014
I gotta also say that I have done a bunch of reading about the PBC. What I have found is exactly what everyone here said. With just a bag of Kingsford Original Briquets you can make awesome smokey treats. I was reading on a couple bbq forums and it appeared when it first came out the old hands were poo pooing it and talking about it pretty badly and some of the same ones have one now. LOL
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up