Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Good Eats>This years Habanero Plants
Mikes 09:32 PM 08-15-2014
As August comes to an end my early hots start to ripen. This year I grew the following:

Jamaican reds
Aji limo
Smokin Ed Carolina Reaper
Elongated chocolate Habaneros
Trinidad perfumes

Living in central Texas my plants tend to produce all the way up to the end of October which enables me to grow the late ripening superhots. Out of the varieties I listed above, I grew the Jamacian Reds last year as it was wonderful to have a hot pepper early in the season...this year was no different great plant! The Aji limo is right next to it and is just now starting to grow an elongated pods. The Reaper has to have the biggest leaves on any pepper plants I have ever seen. It has two narley looking pods growing on it. The Chocolate Habanero plant is HUGE. I planted it on my side bed and it loves the southern facing slope. I have had to tie it to a bush behind it to keep it from falling over! It has a ton of flower spots on it :-). The Trinidad perfume plant is smaller but has many bell shaped fruits on it. The cool thing about this plant is that you get all of the flavor and smell of a Habanero but no heat...still have to try one.

Looking forward to a big harvest this year :-)

Jamaican Red

Sent from my kegerator
[Reply]
Robulous78 10:48 PM 08-15-2014
Good Stuff. Thanks for sharing
[Reply]
Hammerhead 08:35 AM 08-16-2014
Nice. I love making Habanero sauce. What sort of soil and growing conditions do you have? I'd love to try, but I have really rocky terrain and limited sunlight where I am here in NE PA.
[Reply]
Mikes 10:02 AM 08-16-2014
Originally Posted by Hammerhead:
Nice. I love making Habanero sauce. What sort of soil and growing conditions do you have? I'd love to try, but I have really rocky terrain and limited sunlight where I am here in NE PA.
I plant one or two pepper plants here or there on my existing landscaping and amend the soil in those holes with vortex potting soil. The plants seem to love that stuff as well as the liquid fish fertilizer I water with. Here in central Texas it is hot hot and hotter. The plants seem to wilt a bit when they are in full sun but then perk up later. Believe it or not I ordered these over plants from New Jersey! I bet you could grow some for sure.

http://www.chileplants.com
[Reply]
Hammerhead 10:04 AM 08-16-2014
Awesome link - thanks!

I have some dried seeds left over from a batch of sauce I did last year. Maybe I'll give that a try...
[Reply]
8zeros 09:49 PM 08-16-2014
I grow Caribbean red habs. East Central Texas. This year they have been flowering like mad but not setting fruit. I really need a lot of fruit because I'm out of sauce. Don't like the commercial stuff. I put up a thread with my recipe. Once you get used to your own it's like an addiction. Dangit, I miss having home made hab sauce. Everything else is growing great, even the hab plant is huge, just no fruit. I have tried to grow the seeds but not had them germinate. I just buy new plants every year. Maybe I got a bad plant.
[Reply]
Mikes 04:09 PM 08-28-2014
So e pictures of the first Chocolate Habanero. it was still a little green when I picked it but wanted to see how the heat and taste compared to the other varieties I have had over the years. It was not as hot as the Jamaican Reds, and had a more complex flavor. The one here had a ton of seeds inside, don't know if the others will be the same way or not. I'm sure if I let them stay on the plant longer the heat level will go up and they will be a much darker brown. This plant is about 4.75 ft high and 3 ft wide!

Still have the Limo Habaneros and Carolina reapers to try :-). Will post pix of those when they are ready

Sent from my kegerator
[Reply]
MarkinAZ 07:08 PM 08-28-2014
Nice thread Mike and thanks for the Chile Plant web page!

Here's a couple of other threads to peruse (if you haven't already)...

http://chilipeppermadness.com/index.html

http://www.pepperjoe.com/shoppingcart/html/pepper.html
[Reply]
Remo 07:47 PM 08-28-2014
Those look great :-)
[Reply]
Mikes 08:44 AM 09-06-2014
Well here it is in all it's glory. The Carolina Reaper! Newest hottest pepper in the world. I'm a little disappointed as the plant looks healthy but so far has only produced two peppers. I guess my stomach is thanking the plant lol! I chopped a corner off of this one and divided it into pieces the size or a little bit bigger than a toothpick head. As I was making the initial cut the whole kitchen smelled like pepper spray. Tons of flavor packed into these 1 or 2 mm pieces. Heat hits a bit later and in the back of your mouth...and you can feel them going down inside of you. I cannot imagine eating bigger pieces than I cut :-). And would think if you were going to heat these up you better have a gas mask on.

Hope to get some more growing to send out to unsuspecting victims!

Sent from my iPad
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 10:47 AM 09-06-2014
Good god that thing looks funky. I can't imagine trying it. I'm hoping my wimpy Chiltepin plants produce something this year.
[Reply]
8zeros 01:04 PM 09-08-2014
Originally Posted by 8zeros:
I grow Caribbean red habs. East Central Texas. This year they have been flowering like mad but not setting fruit. I really need a lot of fruit because I'm out of sauce. Don't like the commercial stuff. I put up a thread with my recipe. Once you get used to your own it's like an addiction. Dangit, I miss having home made hab sauce. Everything else is growing great, even the hab plant is huge, just no fruit. I have tried to grow the seeds but not had them germinate. I just buy new plants every year. Maybe I got a bad plant.
Since I wrote that my plant has been setting peppers like crazy. Looks like there will be plenty. I'm looking to grow some reapers next year to add some heat to my sauce.
[Reply]
8zeros 02:56 PM 10-12-2014
Talking to my neighbor today and mentioned super hots. He said whatcha know, I grow some of them. He gave me a scorpion pepper to try. Daaayuuuum!!! I just shaved one of the folds off with my pocketknife and ate it right there. Sheeeiiiittttt! Owwwwwww!!! Hurt bad for 15 minutes. It has a kind of flowery taste. The heat just keeps getting worse.
Have to grow some next year. I can't wait to make a sauce with just those peppers.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 04:21 PM 10-12-2014
Looks very hot
[Reply]
hammondc 04:07 PM 11-08-2014
I have reaper seeds, but do not plan them this year. Pucker Butt is 10 miles from my hometown. I may grown them inside over the winter and transplant outside in the spring.
[Reply]
Up