Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Onyx Reserve Toro
badbriar 06:00 PM 10-26-2013
Quick review on a surprisingly good cigar. This is a deep, dark stick - almost black, with attractive mottling throughout and few obvious veins. Very nice matte oil sheen on the toothy wrapper looks tasty. Pre-light aroma was the classic horse barn / cow patty earthiness I remember as a kid when we went to the local riding stables. Cold draw was unremarkable - fortunately, better than the initial aroma! Lighting was a bit longer than most- probably due to the very dark tobaccos used. Once properly toasted, the burn was good with moderate white smoke. A couple of touch-ups required, but nothing major.
First draw was fairly tight, but still offered up a LOT of spiciness and bitter coffee...great start. I was hoping for a stout smoke and found exactly that. First half inch was a bit rough, but things settled in shortly with smooth, creamy coffee and expresso flavors. No major flavor changes - just slight shifts of the same, but smooth and flavorful throughout. Only down side was that the draw was a bit tighter than I like, but was still manageable.
This is an often overlooked cigar that is really quite good. Much better maduro than some ultra premiums I've tried. Can be had for a fiver at most B & M shops. Recommended!
RR
[Reply]
Porch Dweller 10:17 PM 10-26-2013
Thanks for the review! I've thought about picking one of these up every now and then but never have. I might have to change that...
[Reply]
RobR1205 11:23 PM 10-26-2013
I have a fiver that I've been sitting on. I got them really cheap, so I figured I'd let them rest. I think I'm going to break one out soon. Thanks for the review!
[Reply]
kelmac07 06:17 AM 10-29-2013
Not a bad stick at all, especially for the price. This is the first stick that turned my hands black from the dye.
[Reply]
Coach Deg 07:16 AM 10-29-2013
I had an Onyx about 8yrs ago and hated it. Maybe it is time to try again. Thank you for the review and I will be picking up a few next time I see them.
[Reply]
TJtorpedo 07:14 PM 11-01-2013
This was one of my 'starter' cigars back about 9 yrs ago. I would buy them at the liquor store because I thought the band looked cool, lol. They used to knock me on my a$$!
[Reply]
WhiteMamba 10:59 AM 04-15-2014
I got two of these in a sampler a little while back. I might have to light one up and see for myself
[Reply]
ColdCuts 05:07 PM 04-13-2015
Originally Posted by kelmac07:
This is the first stick that turned my hands black from the dye.
I know this is an old thread and there are those who get upset when someone resurrects an old thread.

:-)

It's just, Mac, I'd like to hear more. So, Onyx is artificially colored? I don't know about you fellas, but I want my maduros to be genuine. In other words, I want their color to be the result of a longer natural fermentation process, not dye. :-)

Mac, you said Onyx was the first to turn your hands black. Who else? I've got to know. What other manufacturers dye their wrapper leaf? :-)
[Reply]
Up