Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Good Eats>Poultry prep
mk05 11:34 AM 07-30-2013
Hey guys, OLS was kind enough to give me some heads up on all things pork, but thought I might want to reach out to the forum regarding all things poultry. I'm looking for a brine and a nice rub.

I saw this brine that looked interesting, from a previous thread: http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showth...hlight=poultry

Originally Posted by Darrell:
Alright here it is:

2 cups Kosher salt, 2 cups brown sugar (make sure it dissolved).
A handful of fresh Rosemary, Tyme, and, Sage.
10 "cuties" tangerines cut in half and the rinds thrown in as well.
2 large jugs of apple juice and the rest of the bucket or cooler with cold water
I also heard about this rub...Thoughts on that one?:
http://www.basspro.com/Plowboys-BBQ-...&kpid=10213160
[Reply]
OLS 12:36 PM 07-30-2013
Man unless I was throwing a party and cooking up a LOT of birds, I would have trouble spending so much money
on salt water...the apple juice alone would have me cringing, that's over 6 bucks just on juice, and the fruit adds
another 3-5 bucks....But I don't really brine, so I am just throwing rocks....someone around here could definitely chime
in on the Plowboy rub, though.
[Reply]
mk05 12:46 PM 07-30-2013
Thanks for reminding me Brad.

I'm not looking to smoke, these birds will be quartered and then put into the oven, 550 degrees or 350 degrees. With the brine, the birds stand up to high heat; not sure they will without the brine.
[Reply]
pektel 01:11 PM 07-30-2013
I've brined a turkey once. Didn't notice a difference, so to me, the juice isn't worth the squeeze.

But, I also wasn't cooking at 550°.
[Reply]
dave 01:17 PM 07-30-2013
Been a few years since I cared much about chicken-prep. I've had exactly zero grocery store chickens that didn't taste like cardboard in the last 5-10 years. I've had a couple decent chickens from local butcher, but that's hit or miss and I'm unwilling to spend close to $5/lb for poultry roulette.

So, now I usually get Tyson parts and smother them in spices or garlic or parmesan or olive oil or whatever, and pretend it tastes like chicken.
[Reply]
shilala 02:05 PM 07-30-2013
I do whole wings on the grill, and they are crazy good. I usually serve them with butter noodles and peas.

To prep the wings, I salt them. More salt than anyone would ever imagine possible. That's the key. It preps the skin to suck in the marinade later. Plus the marinade washes it off. I can't stress this enough. If you rolled the wings in salt it wouldn't be too much.

The Marinade:
A stick of butter
1/2c. Red Wine vinegar
Tbsp Lemon juice
3 tbsp minced garlic
1/2c. dried parsley
Pepper or other seasonings if you like. I sometimes use some Nature's Seasonings, that's all.
Heat up all this stuff in a saucepan till the butter just melts but does NOT separate.

Once the chicken is about done, start slathering on the marinade with a paintbrush. It flares up, burns the hair off your arms, and singes your eyebrows.
Flip, repeat.
Flip and repeat as many times as you have marinade.
If you want, make extra marinade and save some for dipping.
Eat and fall in love.
Seek medical attention if necessary.
[Reply]
mk05 11:47 PM 07-30-2013
Thank you, will try this out with next brine
[Reply]
Robulous78 11:49 PM 07-30-2013
Originally Posted by mk05:
Thank you, will try this out with next brine
Pictures!!! we want Pictures!!! :-) :-)
[Reply]
Felixcigar 01:19 PM 01-27-2014
Heres a link to Americas Test Kitchen method of brining:Enjoy!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfu_zZ3u9ys
[Reply]
Up