Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Good Eats>Father's Day Pig...A New Generations comes of age
Steve 11:45 AM 06-17-2013
My sister-in-laws husband's father does several pigs over the course of a year, but this year the kids (5 sons and a daughter and thier spouses) wanted to honor their dad by doing one themselves and serving it at the Father's Day get together at the beach.

They had a few issues, but a wise man once reminded that we learn our most valuable lessons from our mistakes, not from our successes. I think there are a couple of things that they will do differently next time (I've been there!), but it turned out really good, especially for their first time doing it pretty much on their own.

Prepping always takes longer than you think (especially your first time!)

OK, open her back up and we'll stitch her up...again!

Almost ready

Gus (their dad) and I had a pretty good time sitting back, talking, reminiscing about our mistakes and failures, and watching the boys work and stress. We did offer a few suggestions when they got hung up, but we really tried to get into the whole FOG frame of mind! It was kind of fun!

I'm looking forward to the next one already!
[Reply]
Remo 11:58 AM 06-17-2013
Looks like a good time...now I am HUNGRY!!!!
[Reply]
big_jaygee 11:59 AM 06-17-2013
Looks like hall had a great time Steve!
[Reply]
Remo 12:01 PM 06-17-2013
Originally Posted by big_jaygee:
Looks like hall had a great time Steve!
Except for the piglet :-)
[Reply]
Steve 12:11 PM 06-17-2013
Originally Posted by Remo:
Except for the piglet :-)
:-)
[Reply]
Coach Deg 12:28 PM 06-17-2013
Nice
[Reply]
CigarNut 12:36 PM 06-17-2013
Very cool! It's nice to really see your kids come of age. Thanks for sharing!
[Reply]
Steve 12:55 PM 06-17-2013
Originally Posted by CigarNut:
Very cool! It's nice to really see his kids come of age. Thanks for sharing!
Fixed it. It is actually my brother-in-law and his siblings cooking. I was just there to lend "Certified Old Fart Wisdom and Advice" as one who has been there/done that.

Of course, most of the pigs I've cooked have been in my smoker, not on a spit...
[Reply]
czerbe 02:03 PM 06-17-2013
I have had a few pigs over the years myself.....:-)
[Reply]
kydsid 04:39 PM 06-17-2013
The real question is did the FOG's take all the cheek meat for themselves, or did they bestow that nugget of information and tastyness to the younger generation. :-)
[Reply]
Steve 05:06 AM 06-18-2013
Originally Posted by kydsid:
The real question is did the FOG's take all the cheek meat for themselves, or did they bestow that nugget of information and tastyness to the younger generation. :-)
We may have taught them all that THEY know, but that doesn't mean we have taught them all that WE know!
[Reply]
BigAsh 07:41 AM 06-18-2013
Originally Posted by Steve:
We may have taught them all that THEY know, but that doesn't mean we have taught them all that WE know!
:-) Well done my friend!....plus they gotta lot more years left for "the cheek"!!
[Reply]
Up