Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 5 of 42
« First < 345 6715 > Last »
Good Eats>Sous vide
Chainsaw13 08:46 AM 12-21-2015
Originally Posted by T.G:
Hope you ordered early...

Holy shite! That should go into the Funny Pics II thread.
[Reply]
BigAsh 09:04 AM 12-21-2015
Did 16 pounds of eye roast for a party Saturday...130 for 30 hours...seasoned well, then vac sealed...minimal post-bath sear as I was slicing thin on deli slicer for sandwiches...the juice in bag went into a stock pot with sweated onions/garlic, some add'l beef stock, and a concentrated "stock base" for an "au jus"...made a great sandwich with horeradish...way better than deli roast beef...
Out of the bag...

Sliced...

[Reply]
markem 09:06 AM 12-21-2015
Originally Posted by BigAsh:
Did 16 pounds of eye roast for a party Saturday...130 for 30 hours...seasoned well, then vac sealed...minimal post-bath sear as I was slicing thin on deli slicer for sandwiches...the juice in bag went into a stock pot with sweated onions/garlic, some add'l beef stock, and a concentrated "stock base" for an "au jus"...made a great sandwich with horeradish...way better than deli roast beef...
:-) Wow!
[Reply]
CigarNut 10:21 AM 12-21-2015
Looks awesome!
[Reply]
stearns 10:31 AM 12-21-2015
...holy s*** :-)
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 01:11 PM 12-21-2015
...I was slicing thin on deli slicer for sandwiches...
What kind of deli slicer do you have?
[Reply]
BigAsh 01:51 PM 12-21-2015
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol:
What kind of deli slicer do you have?
A cheap one from craigslist a couple years ago...$25...Buffalo Tools "Sportsman"...for the minimal need it fit the bill perfectly...works great but a b!tch to clean...(and it was only $25)
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 04:59 AM 12-22-2015
A cheap one from craigslist a couple years ago...$25...Buffalo Tools "Sportsman"...for the minimal need it fit the bill perfectly...works great but a b!tch to clean...(and it was only $25)
Tough to clean is what you get on the lower end. I been wanting to buy a deli slicer for some time, but am waiting to finish my kitchen first. The one's my buddy keeps pushing on my is near 1K; but he claims is worth it...
[Reply]
T.G 06:37 AM 12-22-2015
Tough to clean is what you get on the lower end. I been wanting to buy a deli slicer for some time, but am waiting to finish my kitchen first. The one's my buddy keeps pushing on my is near 1K; but he claims is worth it...
The LEM 10" slicer is a really good unit at about half that price.
http://www.lemproducts.com/product/c...n-saws-slicers
[Reply]
BigAsh 06:59 AM 12-22-2015
trust me I'm not doing $975 worth of cleaning! :-)...if I ever see the need I'll get another unit but for the 1-2x year that I use it it more than serves its purpose which is 1)to give me a good, clean, uniform slice and 2)get back in the box 'til next time
[Reply]
T.G 07:37 AM 12-22-2015
No photos but I've been using the Anova for the last few days and have been impressed with how meats turn out with this cooking process. I've never really viewed boneless skinless chicken breast as good for much other than chucking into a soup or drowning under a sauce to cover it up, until now. Was also quite impressed by how it took a thin, cheap ribeye from Safeway (generic mid-tier supermarket w/ average quality) and turned it into something quite edible, which is unusual for their meats IMO.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 10:42 AM 12-22-2015
That one looks pretty good. Do you own it?
[Reply]
8lug 11:44 AM 12-22-2015
Originally Posted by jonumberone:
Did a small 5lb rib roast yesterday.
First time I was really happy with the sear I got in a cast iron pan.
This time I used way more oil. Somewhere between 1/3 and 1/2 an inch.
A little bit more mess, but it rally helped the Maillard reaction along.
Did this a little more well to appease my wife. 134° for 4.5 hours.

I was shocked at the large chunks of fat when I cut into it.
From the outside there was no indication that there would be that much fat.
But it was really easy to just eat around it.

Honestly, it was one of the best rib roasts I have made.
I let the roast wet age for close to 60 days, and it really showed in unbelievable tenderness that I have never achieved before.
Dom can you explain the wet aging process? sounds interesting.:-)
[Reply]
T.G 01:23 PM 12-22-2015
That one looks pretty good. Do you own it?
I'm waiting for it to ship, they've been back ordered for a while now.

A friend has one, I've used it, I think it's a nice slicer. It's not a Hobart, but it's also not carrying the $2500+ price tag of a Hobart.

I currently have a 7" Deni that I bought in near new condition for around $6 in a thrift store a few years ago. It works, but I'm not thrilled with it. Lots of little gripes about it that might not be an issue to anyone else but me, the big catch is that I find myself discarding the safety guard and food pusher all too often, and I fear that the next time I cut myself with it because of this, I might not be so lucky as to only need a few closure strips or sutures.
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 01:54 PM 12-22-2015
I have this slicer from Cabelas - http://www.cabelas.com/product/CABEL...3893716&rid=20

Works well if you don't want to step up to the price of the LEM. Not to bad to clean and does a good job.
[Reply]
markem 02:06 PM 12-22-2015
So I have a rib eye setup for dinner in the sous vide. I plan to cook the steak at 132* for about 4 hours just to see what a 4 hour bath will do.

But, I also have snow peas and carrots. From what I've read, they need to be cooked at about 184. The two recipes I have looked at call for about 45-50 minutes. I can't, of course, put the meat and veggies in the same water bath.

Suggestions? Putting the veggies in the lower temp bath and letting them go with a pan fry at the end doesn't seem to buy me much. I'd love to hear what others are doing.

No - throwing the veggies away and having more steak is not in the cards.
[Reply]
T.G 03:12 PM 12-22-2015
Originally Posted by markem:
So I have a rib eye setup for dinner in the sous vide. I plan to cook the steak at 132* for about 4 hours just to see what a 4 hour bath will do.

But, I also have snow peas and carrots. From what I've read, they need to be cooked at about 184. The two recipes I have looked at call for about 45-50 minutes. I can't, of course, put the meat and veggies in the same water bath.

Suggestions? Putting the veggies in the lower temp bath and letting them go with a pan fry at the end doesn't seem to buy me much. I'd love to hear what others are doing.

No - throwing the veggies away and having more steak is not in the cards.
There was something I was cooking the other day at 150F. I put some small potatoes in a separate bag and tossed those in the water also, despite the recipe Anova app calling for 190 (1 hr). I ended up leaving them in for about 2-1/2 hrs at 150 and they were almost raw when I took them out.

YMMV.
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 04:08 PM 12-22-2015
Time for another Anova! :-)
[Reply]
markem 04:12 PM 12-22-2015
There was something I was cooking the other day at 150F. I put some small potatoes in a separate bag and tossed those in the water also, despite the recipe Anova app calling for 190 (1 hr). I ended up leaving them in for about 2-1/2 hrs at 150 and they were almost raw when I took them out.

YMMV.
that's my suspicion. Thanks for being the guinea pig, Adam!
[Reply]
T.G 05:20 PM 12-22-2015
Originally Posted by markem:
that's my suspicion. Thanks for being the guinea pig, Adam!
No problemo. :-)

How thick is the ribeye steak that you are planning on cooking for 4 hours? I'm curious to hear how that one works out.
[Reply]
Page 5 of 42
« First < 345 6715 > Last »
Up