Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Wine, Beer, and Spirits>Need Rum Help...
JohnnyFlake 05:44 PM 12-16-2014
There are a zillion rums out there now days, most are modest in price but there are very expensive ones as well. I have been through an awful lot of them in my years. Over the last few years I have settle on two. One a spiced rum "The Kraken" and one a dark rum " Barbancourt Reserve 8 y.o. from Haiti.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 06:47 PM 12-16-2014
Originally Posted by tsolomon:
My favorites:

Ron Zacapa XO - pricey but really good.
Ron Zacapa 23 - my go to when I can find it on sale.
Zaya - pretty good and I can find it for around $25 a bottle.
Had a glass of that last night at Jimmy's cigar lounge in Singapore with an ERDM Grande d'Espana. Very smooth and mellow rum. Kind of bottle that would disappear quickly. $35 a glass at the lounge.
[Reply]
Flynnster 08:09 PM 12-16-2014
You guys are a terrible influence. Went to Binny's looking for something else. They didn't have it, but I did remember you suggesting Zaya. So I picked it up! I'll crack it open tonight.

[Reply]
mosesbotbol 09:45 PM 12-16-2014
You'll be digging that Zaya, hard not to like at a minimum.
[Reply]
8zeros 10:03 PM 12-16-2014
I love me some rum.
That bottle of Zaya looks too good.
I had some rum a while back that was in a lleather wrapped bottle that was pretty good. A lot like Zacapa 23. Does anyone know what that was? I can't remember the name of it. Haven't seen it since.

OK, I searched for it and found the name. Centenario XX.
Now to find out if I can order some.
[Reply]
tsolomon 06:47 AM 12-17-2014
Originally Posted by 8zeros:
I love me some rum.
That bottle of Zaya looks too good.
I had some rum a while back that was in a lleather wrapped bottle that was pretty good. A lot like Zacapa 23. Does anyone know what that was? I can't remember the name of it. Haven't seen it since.

OK, I searched for it and found the name. Centenario XX.
Now to find out if I can order some.
Ron Pampero Aniversario has a leather bag that comes with it.
[Reply]
JohnnyFlake 09:18 AM 12-17-2014
Originally Posted by Flynnster:
You guys are a terrible influence. Went to Binny's looking for something else. They didn't have it, but I did remember you suggesting Zaya. So I picked it up! I'll crack it open tonight.

You made a big mistake buying that. It's very addictive!
[Reply]
Flynnster 09:51 AM 12-17-2014
Yall aren't kidding! The smell and flavor of it, so sweet and vanilla, but not at all like drinking a sugar filled drink.
[Reply]
irratebass 10:03 AM 12-17-2014
Originally Posted by Flynnster:
Yall aren't kidding! The smell and flavor of it, so sweet and vanilla, but not at all like drinking a sugar filled drink.
Zaya is def my #1 rum......soo good and pairs very well
[Reply]
badbriar 10:52 AM 12-17-2014
OK - thanks for all the superb recommendations. Looks like these three are the ones most often suggested... Flor de Cana Centenario 12-year, Ron Zacapa Centenario 23, Zaya 12-year.
Will probably start with the Zaya or the Zacapa. This weekend will be a treat! Now... what cigar to best enjoy with???
:-) :-) :-)
[Reply]
JohnnyFlake 11:20 AM 12-17-2014
Originally Posted by badbriar:
OK - thanks for all the superb recommendations. Looks like these three are the ones most often suggested... Flor de Cana Centenario 12-year, Ron Zacapa Centenario 23, Zaya 12-year.
Will probably start with the Zaya or the Zacapa. This weekend will be a treat! Now... what cigar to best enjoy with???
That is very subjective, however, I would suggest one that is earthy and offers a semi-sweet spice character.
[Reply]
big pete 12:32 PM 12-17-2014
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol:
Had a glass of that last night at Jimmy's cigar lounge in Singapore with an ERDM Grande d'Espana. Very smooth and mellow rum. Kind of bottle that would disappear quickly. $35 a glass at the lounge.

$35? Ouch. They're usually low to mid $40s per bottle in my area.
[Reply]
badbriar 11:23 AM 01-02-2015
Originally Posted by badbriar:
Picked up the Zaya and looking forward to giving it a try. Next two will be the Ron Zacapa and the Flor de Cana. We need to have a stock of more than one, right??? :-)
[Reply]
Steve 12:55 PM 01-02-2015
All the suggestions above are very nice, but I will add Matsulem. At least it works pretty well for me.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 04:14 PM 01-02-2015
Originally Posted by big pete:
$35? Ouch. They're usually low to mid $40s per bottle in my area.
What's a dram of that in the US cost about $12-15 at a bar? :-)
[Reply]
big pete 05:25 PM 01-02-2015
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol:
What's a dram of that in the US cost about $12-15 at a bar? :-)
Sounds about right
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 07:38 AM 01-03-2015
Originally Posted by big pete:
Sounds about right
So, that makes sense that Singapore would be about double US price as it is for most liquor at a bar. Keep in mind on $1 SG = $.80 USD, but once I am there, I treat the currencies equal as food is cheaper in Singapore.
[Reply]
cigarmarine 10:52 AM 01-03-2015
does anyone know if brugal anjeo any good? have a bottle in the cabinet left over from a party
[Reply]
Porch Dweller 11:31 AM 01-03-2015
Originally Posted by cigarmarine:
does anyone know if brugal anjeo any good? have a bottle in the cabinet left over from a party
Send it to me, I'll test it for you. :-)
[Reply]
cigarmarine 11:42 AM 01-03-2015
Originally Posted by Porch Dweller:
Send it to me, I'll test it for you. :-)
I bet. pm your addy
[Reply]
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Up