Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 14
< 12 3412 > Last »
Good Eats>Sushi
Rock Star 02:21 AM 12-02-2008
Originally Posted by vstrommark:
hmmm ... from wikipedia:

These wax esters may rapidly cause gastrointestinal symptoms following consumption; however, these effects are usually short lived.

The gastrointestinal symptoms, called "keriorrhoea", caused by these wax esters may include oily orange diarrhea, discharge, or leakage from the rectum that may smell of mineral oil. The discharge can stain clothing and occur without warning 30 minutes to 36 hours after consuming the fish. The oil may pool in the rectum and cause frequent urges for bowel movements due to its lubricant qualities and may be accidentally discharged by the passing of gas. Symptoms may occur over a period of one or more days. Other symptoms may include stomach cramps, loose bowel movements, diarrhea, headaches, nausea, and vomiting.
Never happened to me but im sure if you eat too much of any kind of raw fish you would get those symptoms..Ive heard of it being a good laxative though..Still the best Tuna ive ever had.
[Reply]
Tio Gato 04:16 AM 12-02-2008
I love sushi and the other foods associated with it. I love the raw fishes and Japanese salads that are available at sushi bars. Seaweed with sesame is delicious. The rice gets to be a little too filling for me so I try to stick with sashimi.

For all you sushi lovers, a great book is Trevor Corson's The Zen of Fish.
(That's the hardcover title.) The paperback version is out and is titled The Story Of Sushi. I covers all the aspects of sushi, rice, soy sauce, fish, etc. told alongside of the adventures of students at a Sushi chef school.
Reading this book will really make you hungry and make you appreciate what a great thing sushi is.
[Reply]
cvm4 04:37 AM 12-02-2008
I love sushi and wish I could eat it every week. Unfortunately, not a lot of good places here to eat it.
[Reply]
taltos 05:45 AM 12-02-2008
Originally Posted by cvm4:
I love sushi and wish I could eat it every week. Unfortunately, not a lot of good places here to eat it.
Down there you should be able to get all the catfish and gar sushi that you are able to eat.:-):-)
[Reply]
Mark C 05:53 AM 12-02-2008
I'm a new fan of sushi. Found a place around the corner from me that seems to have a pretty good menu. The only problem I have is that I always order the chef's choice sashimi so I generally have no idea what I'm eating. Nothin' better than a piece of good fish, dash of wasabi, slice of pickled ginger, and a dip in soy sauce. Now I'm hungry...
[Reply]
Gone Dave 06:09 AM 12-02-2008
I am all about some sushi!!
I used to go to a place called "the sushi dog".
It was in a custom chopper shop called "Krooners"
The moto was "ride American,eat Japanese"
but the hard times have closed both:-)
[Reply]
LasciviousXXX 10:41 AM 12-02-2008
Originally Posted by bigloo:
So go ahead XXX, eating spicy tuna does not break the rules:-)
The reason behind it for me is that as a general rule restaurants will use fish that is not fresh enough to serve as Sashimi or Nigiri to make the spicy tuna mix. And while its not bad tasting for my own personal tastes I try to stay with the freshest fish available. It also doesn't help that I live in AZ so I'm leery of Sushi restaurants that I'm not intimately familiar with :-)
[Reply]
pnoon 10:42 AM 12-02-2008
Friday night - XXX goes to Happy Sushi. :-)
[Reply]
ahc4353 10:44 AM 12-02-2008
Havin takeout sushi for lunch.

Pay by the pound. I get like 4 lbs for 3 bucks!
[Reply]
opus 10:48 AM 12-02-2008
Sashimi for me please, nothing like the real deal!
[Reply]
Rock Star 10:57 AM 12-02-2008
Originally Posted by opus:
i'll eat that chit right on the boat..
[Reply]
LasciviousXXX 10:58 AM 12-02-2008
Originally Posted by pnoon:
Friday night - XXX goes to Happy Sushi. :-)
SUHWEEET!!!!! Better tell that Itamae to get his staff ready. I'm coming hungry :-)
[Reply]
csbrewfisher 10:59 AM 12-02-2008
Here's the tip of your lifetime sushi lovers...

Every Japanese-trained sushi chef (far from all of them are) has a "signature" sushi that is his/her own invention...and they guard it very, very closely.

Your assignment is to befriend your local sushi chef, compliment them, encourage them and generally suck-up and kiss their a**, then pop the question. "Do you make a sushi that nobody else does?"

You will be surprised, amazed and astounded. :-)
[Reply]
fxpose 10:59 AM 12-02-2008
I love sushi and sashimi. For me, the best way to experience sushi is the way of omakase.
[Reply]
Ashcan Bill 11:03 AM 12-02-2008
I hit a sushi restaurant at least once a week. When the various specialty rolls first started appearing I wasn't too jazzed, but over the years I've come to accept and enjoy a few of them.

When I first moved into our city, it was still pretty rural. Urban spread hadn't reached quite this far yet. The old bowling alley still had a sign posted about not spitting juice on the floor. There was exactly one sushi restaurant operating here. Now 25 years later there's almost as many sushi joints as there are Starbucks. Fascinating how popular it's become over time.

The alley finally took the sign down too. :-)
[Reply]
csbrewfisher 11:05 AM 12-02-2008
Originally Posted by opus:
When I lived in Sandy Ego (20+ years) we would take tubes of wasabi out on the charter fishing boats whenever we went out, which was often.

On the return to port, as the deck hands were cleaning the fish, we would ask them to slice some sashimi pieces for us, right off the live and kickin' fish. Add a little wasabi and mmmmmmmmmmm, the stuff was so fresh it would jump and quiver in the mouth from the live nerve reaction to chewing it.

Now THAT'S good eats. If you live near the coasts, try it some time! :-)
[Reply]
ucla695 11:09 AM 12-02-2008
Sushi’s great and there are plenty of good places in L.A. I’m not sushi purist or that adventurous, so I usually order tuna and salmon sashimi along with some of the house rolls or standards like spicy tuna/salmon. Unagi and ebi also hit the spot. :-)
[Reply]
Scottw 11:14 AM 12-02-2008
I go for sushi once a week (usually Mondays) with some guys from work. I love the stuff.
[Reply]
mrreindeer 11:20 AM 12-02-2008
You just had to go there, huh Dustin? :-):-)

I've been eating sushi for 27 years, started up in the '80's as an 8-year old with my folks who often would introduce me to new & terrifying cuisines. We'd hit our local sushi bar at the time, me in my cubscout uniform and I quickly became known as the Sushi Scout. I even dabbled a little behind the counter at one restaurant, a gift my folks got me for a birthday.

I learned to love sushi early on and my tastes have definitely grown over the years. When I first hated it and was disgusted upon seeing my Pop eat it, I now adore

UNI!!! and I'm often disappointed if my joint doesn't have it fresh. And it must be fresh. I've learned that we're fortunate enough here in L.A. to be home to the WORLD'S best sea urchin (uni). They raise it up in Santa Barbara and even the best sushi joint in NY (arguably Sushi Yasuda) gets theirs from Santa Barbara, not Japan. Uni just reminds me more than any other item that I'm definitely eating something from the sea. The way it disintegrates and kind of liquifies in the mouth upon each bite....man, I can't have enough.

I've never ordered a special from my local sushi bar but they do a shooter with uni, oyster, quail egg and I guess sake. Sounds awesome and I'll likely try it soon.

Aside from Uni, I love hamachi (yellowtail) and sake (salmon). I have to get that every time for sure. Sweet shrimp (and it's different from regular 'ol shrimp) with the fried heads are definitely a favorite too. And I do tend to like the nifty unusual rolls too.

Club Sushi down in Hermosa Beach offers an amazing 1/2 price happy hour including most sushi, 1/2 off beer, wine & sake & apps. I love going there because the sushi is good, not amazing, but certainly good, a good value and all the sushi chefs are Hispanic and I've never seen that anywhere else. My buddy Efrem, the head chef, even won 'Best Sushi Chef' in the South Bay one year and I came on in and had him autograph our issue. He loved it.

Oh, so down at Club Sushi, they make a yellowtail roll with jalapeno, cilantro and some lemon juice and it's truly amazing.

Originally Posted by jquirit:
There was another sushi place in Old Town Pasadena that my friends and I were notorious at. The sushi chef there got to know us and came up with a special roll for us: the "911" roll. The story goes is that one night we were eating, predominantly, a lot of spicy tuna cut-rolls and we kept on telling him to make it hotter and hotter. By the end of the night he ran out of stuff to throw in to make it hot enough. Next week, we returned back to the place and he came prepared. He made us a special cut roll, and placed it infront of us. The spicy tuna center was an unnatural color of red.. think bright, BRIGHT red. On the outside was alternating pieces of grilled unagi and avocado. The roll was delicious, but FREAKING HOT. Come to find out, he went out during the week and bought a bottle of Dave's Insanity Sauce and decided to unleash it on us. Mwhahahaha. I miss that place, too.
-----
ankimo (rare, but Omino had it all the time)

Also, a well done chirashi is a thing to behold. Mmmmm..
Totally agree. Ankimo for those of you who don't know or haven't tried it...it's Monkfish Liver, over rice, usually with a strip of seawood or packed atop like what they do to Uni. So good. Not terribly livery, if you're worried about it. I also like Chirashi but didn't know it was called that!

Originally Posted by ahc4353:
Havin takeout sushi for lunch.

Pay by the pound. I get like 4 lbs for 3 bucks!
That's freakin' crazy Al! I'll be right over.

Originally Posted by fxpose:
I love sushi and sashimi. For me, the best way to experience sushi is the way of omakase.
:-) If I go to a place I've never been and I've researched it on the net, I'll usually order Omakase and let the chef choose for me since I'll eat absolutely anything.

Originally Posted by csbrewfisher:
When I lived in Sandy Ego (20+ years) we would take tubes of wasabi out on the charter fishing boats whenever we went out, which was often.

On the return to port, as the deck hands were cleaning the fish, we would ask them to slice some sashimi pieces for us, right off the live and kickin' fish. Add a little wasabi and mmmmmmmmmmm, the stuff was so fresh it would jump and quiver in the mouth from the live nerve reaction to chewing it.

Now THAT'S good eats. If you live near the coasts, try it some time! :-)
Sounds AWESOME! :-)
[Reply]
St. Lou Stu 11:25 AM 12-02-2008
OK, I'm leaving for Japan on Friday Morning for a week and a half.

I will eat damn near anything, but have never tried sushi.

My question to Dustin and others that seem to have a sushi fettish.......
Where do I start?
I prefer spicy things.
I love all types of fish, but do not necessarily adore what some call a 'fish' taste.
My favorite fish plates include Orange Roughy, Tuna, Trout (Rainbow and Atlantic), Halibut, Sea Bass, Swordfish.....
So, you see I prefer most that are more steak-like.

Any help?
[Reply]
Page 2 of 14
< 12 3412 > Last »
Up