Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 33
< 12 3412 > Last »
Sports>Packer fan thoughts
RevSmoke 01:40 PM 11-08-2011
I don't think that defensively there are injury problems, coordinator problems, or lack of talent.

I heard someone make a statement today that has a ring of truth to it.

It went something like... "The Pack defense knows what the offense will do, so they're only playing lackluster. When they know they need a stop they do it. But, they don't yet feel the need, so why expend the same effort."

If you watch, you could almost get that impression.

I don't know what to say.

Peace of the Lord be with you.
[Reply]
shilala 02:00 PM 11-08-2011
The Steelers seem to play that way on both sides of the ball. It's maddening.
Just look at the loss this weekend. They had the whole game to put the game away, all the chances in the world. It's like there's no urgency or killer instinct.
It used to be they'd come out and step on your neck and not let you up for 60 minutes. Now they'd rather dance and have a nice cup of espresso.
In the end I suppose it boils down to "who wants it most?" It just doesn't seem like that anymore.

I suppose we have to realize that the guys don't practice nearly as much as they used to and get far fewer reps to get their timing together. That's why tandems like Rodgers and Jennings are so important and successful. They have years of experience together, tons of reps, they think alike, they're on the same page, and each one knows what the other is going to do.
Lots of the guys on these clubs are just feeling around in the dark compared to how they used to get prepared. It's hard to develop a locker-room spirit if the guys are never in the locker room, ya know?
[Reply]
RevSmoke 05:43 PM 11-08-2011
I think my youngest, Timothy, hit it on the head too. "Practice once a week with full pads? Geez, I wish we had it that easy. And I'm not even paid as a high school freshman. How can you be good at hitting if you don't practice it? Maybe that's why the tackling sucked on Sunday."

Hmm? Is the new CBA part of the problem?
[Reply]
Stephen 06:29 PM 11-08-2011
Originally Posted by RevSmoke:
I think my youngest, Timothy, hit it on the head too. "Practice once a week with full pads? Geez, I wish we had it that easy. And I'm not even paid as a high school freshman. How can you be good at hitting if you don't practice it? Maybe that's why the tackling sucked on Sunday."

Hmm? Is the new CBA part of the problem?
But it's a problem that's equally shared by all 32 teams so I refuse to use that as an excuse when there are teams out there that are tackling well. If anything, if I were to venture a guess as to why our pass defense took about 18 steps back this season from the past couple, it's the pass rush (or lack thereof). Cullen Jenkins is now registering sacks on the dream team, and there's nobody opposite Matthews to put any heat on the quarterback. Matthews had as many sacks in the first five quarters last year as he does in half a season this year. He's putting consistent pressure on the quarterback, but there's nobody there to clean it up or vice versa.
[Reply]
RevSmoke 07:07 PM 11-08-2011
I wasn't ever really sure why we let Cullen Jenkins go.
[Reply]
shilala 07:20 PM 11-08-2011
Because the Eagles were willing to give him 5 million a year and Green Bay wanted his services for 4 million a year, maybe?
Maybe they figured since they got to the Super Bowl without him they could do without him (even though he was back for the end of the season)?
I'd guess it goes right back to point 1. Money.
[Reply]
Stephen 07:25 PM 11-08-2011
I guess in Ted Thompson's infinite wisdom he thought some combination of Neal (who's quickly joining Justin Harrell in the candybone HOF)/Wilson/Wynn/Guy could fill the void. That, and he knew he had to save some coin somewhere to get some guys locked up long term, which is still a work in progress.
[Reply]
Stephen 07:31 PM 11-08-2011
Originally Posted by shilala:
Because the Eagles were willing to give him 5 million a year and Green Bay wanted his services for 4 million a year, maybe?
Maybe they figured since they got to the Super Bowl without him they could do without him (even though he was back for the end of the season)?
This is one area that I'm envious of the Steelers. Ziggy Hood and Cameron Heyward are going to make sure that the Steel Curtain is alive and well for years to come. Yes, the Packers have Raji and I wouldn't trade him for darn near anyone, but there's nothing (young) of worth at DE.
[Reply]
RevSmoke 08:45 PM 11-08-2011
Originally Posted by shilala:
Originally Posted by Stephen:
I guess in Ted Thompson's infinite wisdom he thought some combination of Neal (who's quickly joining Justin Harrell in the candybone HOF)/Wilson/Wynn/Guy could fill the void. That, and he knew he had to save some coin somewhere to get some guys locked up long term, which is still a work in progress.
Originally Posted by Stephen:
This is one area that I'm envious of the Steelers. Ziggy Hood and Cameron Heyward are going to make sure that the Steel Curtain is alive and well for years to come. Yes, the Packers have Raji and I wouldn't trade him for darn near anyone, but there's nothing (young) of worth at DE.
I hope your 2nd quote pans out and someone steps up opposite Matthews to give some stress to quarterbacks.

Yes, money is a big motivator.
[Reply]
Stephen 04:57 AM 11-09-2011
I hope your 2nd quote pans out and someone steps up opposite Matthews to give some stress to quarterbacks.

Yes, money is a big motivator.
The last I looked, the three players that had the most sacks on the team after Matthews were the two inside linebackers and a safety. No bueno.
[Reply]
MarkinAZ 08:30 PM 11-14-2011
Packers are looking unstoppable tonight as they just scored another TD to make it 24-0 over the Vikings. Their "D" looks up to par as well.

If #74 Marshall Newhouse can just get it together against Jarred Allan, we'll be better at the "O".

[Reply]
cort 08:43 PM 11-14-2011
Originally Posted by MarkinCA:
Packers are looking unstoppable tonight as they just scored another TD to make it 24-0 over the Vikings. Their "D" looks up to par as well.

If #74 Marshall Newhouse can just get it together against Jarred Allan, we'll be better at the "O".

I have no stake in this game as I am not a fan of either squad but Jared Allen is one bad motha F-er!:-)
[Reply]
MarkinAZ 08:45 PM 11-14-2011
Originally Posted by Cort:
I have no stake in this game as I am not a fan of either squad but Jared Allen is one bad motha F-er!:-)
Dudes pure energy. Just don't want him chasing my a$$. Just sayin:-)

[Reply]
rebelknight 08:47 PM 11-14-2011

Spoke a bit too soon. I bet Cobb wishes he had that one back. I do like how he responded by just exploding on the following kick off though. The kid has excellent potential. Even with the muffed punt Packers rolling as I expected. Really enjoying this game.
[Reply]
cort 08:47 PM 11-14-2011
Dudes pure energy. Just don't want him chasing my a$$. Just sayin:-)

I'm with you on that one, Mark.
[Reply]
MarkinAZ 08:52 PM 11-14-2011
Originally Posted by Cort:
I'm with you on that one, Mark.
:-)...He can chase Wii' a$$ though:-)

[Reply]
Giant & 49er Fan 08:59 PM 11-14-2011
Enjoying Rodgers sealing my FF Victory! Also hope the Packers are undefeated when we beat them in the NFC Championship in Green Bay! NINERS!!!!!
[Reply]
tupacboy 09:02 PM 11-14-2011
packers vs pats in the superbowl would be insane!!
[Reply]
MarkinAZ 09:06 PM 11-14-2011
Originally Posted by Giant & 49er Fan:
Enjoying Rodgers sealing my FF Victory! Also hope the Packers are undefeated when we beat them in the NFC Championship in Green Bay! NINERS!!!!!
Not in Green Bay Jaime:-)

[Reply]
MarkinAZ 09:42 PM 11-14-2011
Packer "D" came to play tonight. Nice:-)

[Reply]
Page 2 of 33
< 12 3412 > Last »
Up