Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 60
< 12 341252 > Last »
Sports>Being a Hockey Parent
WyGuy 04:48 PM 08-03-2010
Originally Posted by Gophernut:
We figured it was at least $700 a year on goal sticks, that's buying the cheap ones! I have a place where I can buy the type he likes, non composite, for around $70 each, and he goes through about 10 of them a year. Not to mention pads, gloves, blocker, mask, chest protector, cups, etc. We found a place that leased skates so we could make sure he didn't grow out of them in one season, and have to buy them. It saved us a couple of years.
I don't even want to know how much my parents spent on sticks alone between my brother and me!
[Reply]
Savvy 04:58 PM 08-03-2010
This threads giving me the itch for hockey season to start back up (55 days til first game). I play in a league over here in Germany, and we travel around Europe quite a bit throughout the season. Hockey's the one sport that I feel I'll always stick with as long as I can -- none of the others came close.

And I'm surely going to end up being a hockey dad when I get older, and I'm looking forward to that as well.
[Reply]
icehog3 06:24 PM 08-03-2010
Originally Posted by yourchoice:
I have absolutely NO DOUBT that is true, Tom. I know hockey is a very expensive venture...from what I understand one of the most expensive for kids to be involved in. Kudos to everyone who supports their kid's activities financially and emotionally. :-)
:-)
[Reply]
Gophernut 11:46 AM 08-04-2010
Originally Posted by Savvy:
And I'm surely going to end up being a hockey dad when I get older, and I'm looking forward to that as well.
http://sports.break.com/cute-mite-hockey-fight

You'll get to see things like this!
[Reply]
357 12:14 PM 08-04-2010
I have a few questions for you hockey parents. My son is 4 and will be starting Kindergarten in September. He turns 5 in November.

My questions are:

What age can he start playing ice hockey?

What are the expected costs (ballpark)

Should I start him out in floor or roller hockey first?

I only ask because I've never really played ice hockey. I grew up playing street hockey and indoor floor hockey. In college I played a season of roller, but only 1 game in an organized ice hockey league as a fill in. I know nothing of how youth ice hockey works.

Thanks,
Mike
[Reply]
E.J. 12:40 PM 08-04-2010
My :-)

Originally Posted by 357:

In my backyard they can start in leagues at 6, but "Start Smart" at 5. My daughter has been skating since the age of 4 and will start the "Start Smart" program now(5). Start Smart is like hockey practice with scrimmages for the kids....no designated teams.

Our Recreational Program's regular season(what would be considered standard hockey not travel, summer, 3-3 ect) is $300 + the USA Hockey Fee which is $40. Equipment can be had for what you want to spend. I bet you could outfit a kid with used equipment from a skate swap, including a stick for under $50....or you could spend $1500+ on gear(though that level of pricing may be difficult to hit for a 5 year old :-) ).

I don't see a reason to do this.... Though I have never even played roller hockey.........
[Reply]
althekillr 01:07 PM 08-04-2010
hockey parents definately give up alot. I remember my dad waking up at 4 am on saturday monrings to make 5 am practices. that and all the expenses of gear.

Originally Posted by :
i would highly suggest private skating lessons to build a good foundation, even before hockey or at the same time if you can do both. might be good to start hockey first to build up the interest and then he will see the value of the skating lessons.
[Reply]
Smokin Gator 01:19 PM 08-04-2010
You guys enjoy it while you can... My son played local club soccer from 4-8. Then came travel soccer (all over the southeast) from 9-17. On top of that was middle school and high school soccer. Now he plays in college but it is so different than being able to travel and spend time at the fields. I miss it badly. Yep, it cost me a small fortune, but I wouldn't trade the memories for all the money in the world!!!
[Reply]
Gophernut 01:29 PM 08-04-2010
I have a few questions for you hockey parents. My son is 4 and will be starting Kindergarten in September. He turns 5 in November.

My questions are:

I only ask because I've never really played ice hockey. I grew up playing street hockey and indoor floor hockey. In college I played a season of roller, but only 1 game in an organized ice hockey league as a fill in. I know nothing of how youth ice hockey works.

Thanks,
Mike
I would check with your local hockey association. I was a board member of ours for the past 5 years, and the one thing we worked the hardest on was to increase the number of players. We did this in a couple of ways. First, we instituted a "Learn to Skate Program", then started a "Learn to Play Hockey" program. Both of these programs were inexpensive. We also had free equipment for 1st year players. After the first year, and up to the squirt level you could lease the equipment for the year for around $100. That's where I would start anyways. Either the association or the Rink manager should be able to help.
[Reply]
357 01:40 PM 08-04-2010
Thanks for the info guys. Any contact info for these league? Are they national organizations or just find the local deal and go?

I definitely am OK with used gear. Although I know hockey gear can and does stink like no other. We might have to get on of those steam cleaner or something. Just to clean the old funk out of the pads before giving them to my son.

Anyway,
Thanks again
[Reply]
E.J. 02:01 PM 08-04-2010
Thanks for the info guys. Any contact info for these league? Are they national organizations or just find the local deal and go?
Here you go Mike....

http://www.detroithockey.org/i-program.htm

Looks like $150 for their iProgram, all-inclusive....

BTW used gear isn't bad at all, especially with young kids...
[Reply]
E.J. 02:55 PM 08-04-2010
Because it is a slow work day and I am prideful....here are a few photos I have at the workplace of my experience as the Little Man has progressed through Mites, Squirts, Pee Wee, Bantam and this Summer's delve into the High School Hockey program.... It is "fairly" chronological, but not 100%.... There are missing years, but the first 2 are his first year if I recall correctly....

[Reply]
E.J. 02:58 PM 08-04-2010

There was a time that the Little Man wanted to be between the pipes.... He liked that long enough that it cost me a set of pads... He did it every summer for a bit....

[Reply]
Gophernut 03:32 PM 08-04-2010
Awesome Pics! As I think about it more and more, I am sure going to miss watching the boy play!
[Reply]
Eleven 04:41 PM 08-04-2010

Thanks,
Mike
From my experience with Detroit parents, I think most get their kids on the ice sometime in the first trimester.

[Reply]
ahc4353 05:09 PM 08-04-2010
Originally Posted by massphatness:
Paging Al ...
Posted via Mobile Device
I have no idea where to begin.
[Reply]
357 06:44 AM 08-05-2010
E.J. - Thanks for the links and the great pics. My wife and I are so excited for our son to get into sports, especially hockey. I will post some pics when I can.

Originally Posted by Eleven:
From my experience with Detroit parents, I think most get their kids on the ice sometime in the first trimester.

Yeah, there are a lot of hockey parents in the Detroit area. Heck we had three NHL owners in town until recently (Wings, Canes, Lightening). Unfortunately I never really played ice hockey. I'm planning on making sure my son gets that opportunity starting as young as he can. :-)
[Reply]
Ahbroody 05:52 PM 08-05-2010
Originally Posted by E.J.:
It is about as fun as it gets. The Little Man has done it all(sport wise) and there is nothing I would rather be doing with him..... I playfully ***** a little about the cost, but truly....nobody makes me purchase the things I do. I am a gearaholic that takes out my sickness on my child....

Think there is a place I can go for help...:-)
Dont feel bad brother I got the gear sickness bad. I dont even play anymore and have three pairs of skates. My son whos 4 has a pair of 130.00 Grafs :-) My wife was a little upset.

Originally Posted by Gophernut:
http://sports.break.com/cute-mite-hockey-fight

You'll get to see things like this!
thats cute. My boy actually got into it the other day on the ice. I had to talk to him. Some crosschecking started.
[Reply]
Ahbroody 06:07 PM 08-05-2010

My questions are:

Thanks,
Mike
Mike just wanted to chime in also. Everyone has there own views on things. It is a lot of learn as you go though. I have picked Als brain and talked to many others. Each child is very different and you need to know your child and experiment to see what works.

1)Micah started playing ice at 3.5 He was pretty much the youngest kid though and there was good and bad about that. It definelty pushed him. If he will be 5 when the season starts thats more then old enough. Micah will be turning 5 during his second season.

2)Should be a lot cheaper for you, but out here it was about 1k for the season. regardless of age. So when you see the cost just remember it could be worse.

3) I stated Micah roller blading at about 2.5. He didnt ice skate till 3. I felt it helped him a lot with ice. I am about to do the samething with my middle daughter. Actually I start them in a 4 wheel plastic skate so they learn balance and push. Then a roller blade, then an ice skate.

Cause we are sharing heres a video from May for summer league. He is wearing 25 in the video. He was being lazy unless he had the puck. Sometimes he skates hrd sometimes he doesnt. At 4 I am just happy he loves skating and I never have to encourage him. You will see some parents do things at the rink that makes you shake your head.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cyob7dfiEw4
[Reply]
E.J. 07:38 PM 08-05-2010
That is stinking awesome Mike! Good stuff.....

That age is so fun!
[Reply]
Page 2 of 60
< 12 341252 > Last »
Up