Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 4
< 12 34 >
Wine, Beer, and Spirits>How to Make a Good Martini
dandaman 07:32 AM 06-21-2009
Originally Posted by dandaman:
ARRID I prefer in & out w/vermouth & of course tanqueray." SALUTE " I agree Pete, vodka's is not a martini.
:-)
[Reply]
GreekGodX 08:10 AM 06-21-2009
Originally Posted by adampc22:
james bond drinks vodka martinis lol
If you go to the novels which IMO is the right way to experience Bond. He drinks the Vesper Martini.

3 parts Gin
1 Part Vodka
Small Amount Kinet Lilet (a bitter dry Vermouth) Less vermouth makes it more dry.

This happens to be my favorite way to make a Martini. I don't like having olives or lemon peel, and I'm not very particular on the vermouth. It has to be Tanqueray and Grey Goose.
[Reply]
Whee 03:35 PM 06-21-2009
First of all, if it isn;t made with gin, it ain;t a martini!:-)

Bombay Sapphire is a good martini gin, Tanqueray works too, I like it for my G&T's though. Must have an odd number of olives, stiffed blue cheese olives rock!
[Reply]
goalie204 05:48 AM 06-22-2009
wrong
[Reply]
DougBushBC 06:08 AM 06-22-2009
Originally Posted by pnoon:
Experiment with the vermouth. Some folks believe having the bottle in the same room is plenty. :-) I prefer a splash.
I believe it was Winston Churchill who said "The perfect Martini is drinking a glass of cold Gin while staring at a bottle of Vermouth."

As for my Martini (I drink them rarely) but I like to put a splash of Dry Vermouth in the glass, turn it to coat the surface, and then pour the remainder out, then Shake a good gin (I prefer Plymoth, which is a different style of gin, very floral) with ice and pour in the glass, then garnish with a lemon peel (olives don't do it for me).

An Alternative is a drink that I love called a Negroni, shake together equal parts Plymoth Gin, Sweet Vermouth, and Campari, pour in glass. Flame a twist of orange over the top, drop the peel in. Itls delicious.
[Reply]
The Poet 02:22 PM 06-22-2009
Don't care what you wanna call it, I choose vodka. If I want the gin experience, I'll just chew on some pine needles first.
[Reply]
nozero 03:39 PM 06-22-2009
Beefeater or Bombay gin from the freezer, 2-3 large olives and about 4 drops of vermouth is my preference.
[Reply]
bigloo 04:24 PM 06-22-2009
Dirty Martini.

3 Parts Gin (I use local Oregon Gins, 12 bridges is exceptional and better then anything commerical IMHO as is Aviation).
1 Part M&R Vermouth
Splash of olive juice (mayeb 1/4 to 1/2 part).
Quick shake, 3 or 5 olives (always odd).

Same with my Gibsons, substitute the word olive above for pickled onions. A GREAT Gibson is using those Italian "capa-something" onions which have a dash of balsomic in them. Dam, I need a 'tini!
[Reply]
icehog3 01:32 AM 11-10-2013
[Reply]
Scottw 07:31 AM 11-10-2013
That's awesome Tom!
[Reply]
pnoon 07:33 AM 11-10-2013
[Reply]
smokin5 11:08 AM 11-10-2013
Now THAT made me laugh out loud!
Good one, Icehog.:-)

Back on track, though, I've come up with an efficient way of
chilling martinis without getting into the whole "stirred vs. shaken"
controversy (:-)- Stir it, don't shake it).
I've filled a 1.75 liter bottle with my pre-mix of martini
(3 oz gin to 1 oz dry vermouth, 2 drops bitters per serving, multiply
by 14), and keep it in the freezer. Then, when a guest or I want a
martini, I just take the bottle from the freezer, shake & pour. Ta-da!
[Reply]
galaga 11:54 AM 11-10-2013
Originally Posted by icehog3:
Nothing wrong with good whiskey Tommy :-)

All I can say is

Ben Hill Griffin Stadium at Florida Field, Gainesville, Florida

Vanderbilt
Commodores
(5-4)

Florida
Gators
(4-5)

[Reply]
pnoon 11:54 AM 11-10-2013
[Reply]
galaga 12:05 PM 11-10-2013
BTW

Whatever ratio of gin to vermouth you use. Put them in the shaker and let them sit for a time so they get cold. Condensation on the shaker is about the right length of time. Put ice in your glass so it gets cold. Shake the S.H.I.T. out of the shaker, enough to splinter the ice and then pour the contents into your emptied, cold glass. Hold the glass up to the setting sun so that the ice splinters are melted by the sunlight, thereby capturing the sunlight in the glass. Drink before the temperature of the martini gets too warm and the sunlight escapes. This ritual is optional for subsequent martinis, in case of emergencies and in Arizona. YMMV. :-)
[Reply]
pnoon 12:07 PM 11-10-2013
Originally Posted by galaga:
BTW

Whatever ratio of gin to vermouth you use. Put them in the shaker and let them sit for a time so they get cold. Condensation on the shaker is about the right length of time. Put ice in your glass so it gets cold. Shake the S.H.I.T. out of the shaker, enough to splinter the ice and then pour the contents into your emptied, cold glass. Hold the glass up to the setting sun so that the ice splinters are melted by the sunlight, thereby capturing the sunlight in the glass. Drink before the temperature of the martini gets too warm and the sunlight escapes. This ritual is optional for subsequent martinis, in case of emergencies and in Arizona. YMMV. :-)
I like the way you think, Slappy. :-)
[Reply]
smokin5 02:54 PM 11-10-2013
Wait...wait...but do you stand on your left foot or
someone else's while you shake?
And how much thrust of the hips while you do it?
[Reply]
icehog3 03:52 PM 11-10-2013
Originally Posted by galaga:
Nothing wrong with good whiskey Tommy :-)

All I can say is

Ben Hill Griffin Stadium at Florida Field, Gainesville, Florida

Vanderbilt
Commodores
(5-4)

Florida
Gators
(4-5)

Yeah, we suck this year, Rick. Now my only hope for a happy ending is for Alabama to humiliate the Semiholes in the BCS game. :-)

Stay out of this, Buzzy, this is mine and Rick's thing. You and me can discuss Denver dismantling the Churgers if you like. Oh, yeah, and gin ranks right up there with IPAs...disgusting. :-): :-)
[Reply]
pnoon 04:05 PM 11-10-2013
Originally Posted by icehog3:

Stay out of this, Buzzy, this is mine and Rick's thing. You and me can discuss Denver dismantling the Churgers if you like. Oh, yeah, and gin ranks right up there with IPAs...disgusting. :-): :-)
San Diego Chokers are embarrassing.

Thank goodness for gin and IPAs
[Reply]
icehog3 04:07 PM 11-10-2013
San Diego Chokers are embarrassing.

Thank goodness for gin and IPAs
Yet I don't slap my knee at you.:-)

And IPAs are awesome if you like sucking pinecones. :-)

Don't even get me started on gin. :-)
[Reply]
Page 2 of 4
< 12 34 >
Up