Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Big Papi Cigar
jjmitchem 05:43 AM 06-03-2018
Haven't done a cigar review in a while but my wife just sent me some Big Papi cigars for my birthday during this deployment. I was so impressed with the very first one that I thought I would do a review.

I'm also a huge Red Sox fan so a cigar from David Ortiz, AKA Big Papi, was a must on my list of cigars to ask her to send me. Funny story: my grandfather came over from Ireland and settled in Boston and fell in love with New England sports, particularly the Red Sox. When he passed and his will was read he had written into it that all of his descendants would be Red Sox Fans!!!

On to the cigar: Big Papi by El Artista Cigars
Wrapper: Ecuadorian Habano Claro
Binder: Dominican Criollo ’98
Filler: Dominican & Nicaraguan
Size: 6″ by 54

The cigar is beautifully constructed with a good pre light draw and hints of cedar

The first third gave off notes of pepper and earth. The finish was creamy and very pleasant.

The second third increases in flavor and strength to a solid medium body cigar. It develops a taste of rich leather and earth and notes of sweet aged tobacco.

The last third balances everything together and turns into one of those smokes you don't want to end. The same notes of leather and earth are backed up by the fading taste of black pepper. The Habano wrapper did not need any touch ups. The whole experience lasted for about an hour and a half. and I smoked it down to my finger tips.

Over all this was a big hit and an easy home run (full pun intended) I will most definitely be keeping these in my humidor in the future and I hope they continue rolling them for a long time.

David Ortiz has a promising post baseball future in my opinion.

[Reply]
BigAsh 06:13 AM 06-03-2018
also a big Red Sox fan here...nice review!....your grandfather was a wise man!...and thanks for your service:-)
[Reply]
dijit 07:08 AM 06-03-2018
Well I may not be a sox fan of either denomination but the big D.O. was a stand up guy and now I think I need to try those cigars.
[Reply]
icehog3 12:40 PM 06-03-2018
Thank you for the review, and for your Service, Chappy! :-)
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 02:08 PM 06-03-2018
They sound better than El Tiante's cigars. I spoke to El Tiante at a Red Sox game several years ago asking him to make Lanceros; I wonder if he got to it.

Big Papi must've been involved in the blend it sounds like to me. Are there any other sizes available?
[Reply]
Up