Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Oliva V Maduro 2013
RevSmoke 09:40 AM 05-04-2018
Oliva V Maduro – Double Robusto (2013 edition, smoked 5/2/’18)
5X54

0.0 - 2.0 = poor/inferior quality
2.1 - 2.9 = fair
3.0 - 3.5 = good
3.5 - 4.5 = excellent
4.6 - 5.0 = superior

1) Aesthetics: A thick Colorado maduro wrapper and an attractive band make this a handsome stick. There are some slight bands and a light sheen of oil.
Score for aesthetics: 4.7

2) Pre-light Construction: A solid cigars from foot to head. Upon cutting, just a slight resistance is present in the pre-light draw.
Score for Pre-light construction: 4.5

3) Post-light Construction/How it smoked: OK, the draw is a bit tighter than I like, but it isn’t an issue (it opened up more at about the halfway point). Solid cigar to the nub, no burn issues, solid ash, nice burn line (when smoked fresh, the burn was rather wonky)
Score for post-light construction: 4.8

4) Flavor and strength: Bold right off the start with significant notes of leather and coffee, a hint of burnt cocoa ephemerally flirts around the edges. As this burns through, there are brief glimpses of other things, pepper and a sort of woodsy-ness. This is a straight forward smoke, a general sweetness is dominant throughout, and the flavor basically remain constant as described. I do like how this has aged, when fresh, pepper was more evident and other flavors more a rabbit punch, not they have melded together nicely.
Score for flavor and strength: 5

5) Aftertaste/Finish: Sweet, with hints of leather, coffee, and cocoa that sit on the palate for a bit. Very nice!
Score for aftertaste: 4.9

6) Aroma: I know I say this often, but I love the side slip smoke, most non-smokers say, “What a stinky cigar,” I just like to close my eyes and enjoy. This is rich tobacco, dark and sweet.
Score for aroma: 4.9

7) General Comments: I really love the way these have aged. It would be nice to have a few more around, but hey, they are meant for smoking, right? Wonderful last night together!
Overall score for the cigar: 4.85

8) Recommendation: If you can find this particular vintage, or you have one stashed away, Enjoy! I’d like to see what these are like in a few years. I think they will age well. But smoke one now any way, I do not want to be the only one who has smoked his last.
[Reply]
SMOKING CAMPER 11:48 AM 05-04-2018
WOW! Great review, Thanks. I've never met an Oliva I did not like....
[Reply]
hammondc 02:13 PM 05-04-2018
Fantastic cigars. The No 4 are a top 5 for me.
[Reply]
RevSmoke 11:59 AM 05-05-2018
Originally Posted by hammondc:
Fantastic cigars. The No 4 are a top 5 for me.
Did they do the #4 in a Maduro? I did not think that they had. I do love me some regular line Oliva V #4s though.
[Reply]
hammondc 08:31 AM 05-07-2018
Originally Posted by RevSmoke:
Did they do the #4 in a Maduro? I did not think that they had. I do love me some regular line Oliva V #4s though.
No, the ones I liked were the ones originally released to only the TAA shops back in 2011/2012ish. You can get the same size in the Melanio line now, but I liked the regular line much better. Oliva V are insanely underrated.
[Reply]
RevSmoke 12:13 AM 05-08-2018
Originally Posted by hammondc:
No, the ones I liked were the ones originally released to only the TAA shops back in 2011/2012ish. You can get the same size in the Melanio line now, but I liked the regular line much better. Oliva V are insanely underrated.
You are correct, but they have now made them part of the regular line - or at least, Atlantic has them. https://atlanticcigar.com/brands/Oliva-Serie-V.html

As for being underrated, sshhhhhhhhhh, be quiet, others will try to horn in on a good thing.
[Reply]
hammondc 04:36 PM 05-11-2018
Originally Posted by RevSmoke:
You are correct, but they have now made them part of the regular line - or at least, Atlantic has them. https://atlanticcigar.com/brands/Oliva-Serie-V.html

As for being underrated, sshhhhhhhhhh, be quiet, others will try to horn in on a good thing.
Good heads up!! I HAD NO IDEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:-):-):-)
[Reply]
Brian D. 07:43 PM 05-11-2018
You guys know how people start "If you could only smoke one cigar from now on.." threads? Well, I couldn't do that. But, if I had to live with only one BRAND the rest of my life, it would be Oliva.
[Reply]
Up