Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Good Eats>Smoked prime rib?
markem 06:24 PM 12-14-2014
I have half a prime rib left over from Thanksgiving that I plan to smoke this week. Other than the usual "just salt and pepper", is there any seasoning that people have experience with?

Since prime rib (aka, standing rib roast) has a good sized fat block, I plan to smoke it at about 325 and finish it around 450. Any experience with this approach?
[Reply]
Flynnster 06:26 PM 12-14-2014
I've never done it before, but I might be tempted to smoke it a bit lower. For the final sear, I would try taking it off the smoker, raise that heat as high as possible, and then sear all the outside of the meat.
[Reply]
pektel 06:43 PM 12-14-2014
My mainstays for prime rib include kosher salt, black pepper, thyme, marjoram, sage, and rosemary. I normally am conservative with the herbs. I like the flavor of that cut, so I try not to overpower the flavor of the beef.

I do remember pulverizing a bay leaf for the rub before, but can't really recall the outcome from that. It was back when I was first experimenting with seasoning beef.
[Reply]
G G 07:30 PM 12-14-2014
I have a pit barrel cooker sitting beside the Christmas Tree. I am looking forward to cooking one of these on it.
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 07:43 PM 12-14-2014
It might just be the illicit drugs talking, but I was just pondering how it would work to do a sweet and hot glaze, something reminiscent of horseradish, with a sweet component added in.
[Reply]
MarkinAZ 07:56 PM 12-14-2014
Originally Posted by markem:
I have half a prime rib left over from Thanksgiving that I plan to smoke this week. Other than the usual "just salt and pepper", is there any seasoning that people have experience with?
That does sound delicious Mark! I do with the Original Texas BBQ rub http://www.texasbbqrub.com/ . However, I use this exclusively on my Tri Tip when I smoke them. Grilling Tri Tip, I simply use pepper, salt, and garlic powder and rub it in. I was only going to add garlic powder to what you had already mentioned above. Again, nice cut of meat and enjoy!

Originally Posted by AdamJoshua:
It might just be the illicit drugs talking, but I was just pondering how it would work to do a sweet and hot glaze, something reminiscent of horseradish, with a sweet component added in.
Get off the frickin drugs right now Adam:-)
[Reply]
CigarNut 08:40 PM 12-14-2014
Originally Posted by MarkinCA:
That does sound delicious Mark! I do with the Original Texas BBQ rub http://www.texasbbqrub.com/ . However, I use this exclusively on my Tri Tip when I smoke them. Grilling Tri Tip, I simply use pepper, salt, and garlic powder and rub it in. I was only going to add garlic powder to what you had already mentioned above. Again, nice cut of meat and enjoy!

Get off the frickin drugs right now Adam:-)
:-) :-)
[Reply]
8lug 06:26 AM 12-15-2014
I've had excellant results smoking at 225-250 until internal temp reachs 118. take it off and rest it under foil until it reachs 125.00. then put in back into a hot smoker (500 degrees)for about 5-10 min to crust up. its my modified alton brown method.
[Reply]
badbriar 07:16 AM 12-15-2014
Done many of them - excellent way to fix prime rib roast!
A couple of things - watch the internal temp!!! Pull it when it is a few degrees under your target. This is a dense piece of meat and will continue to cook - as much as 10 degrees higher. If you like medium, target rare or at most medium rare. You can always slice thick and put back on cooker if it is too rare. If it is too well done - SOL!
Look on Penzy's web site and get some Chicago steak seasoning. rub generously and enjoy! :-)
[Reply]
Stevez 08:29 AM 12-15-2014
I've not done one, but have been looking at the multiple options on the Weber site; May give some ideas. Keep us posted on how it comes out.

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/ribroast1.html
[Reply]
jjirons69 10:22 AM 12-15-2014
Originally Posted by 8lug:
I've had excellant results smoking at 225-250 until internal temp reachs 118. take it off and rest it under foil until it reachs 125.00. then put in back into a hot smoker (500 degrees)for about 5-10 min to crust up. its my modified alton brown method.
This - works wonderfully. Garlic powder, salt, and black pepper.
[Reply]
hammondc 09:03 AM 12-21-2014
Is it actually Prime grade? If so, I never use anything other than S&P.

If it is just a Choice grade Standing Rib Roast, I mix rosemary into a butter and coat the meat. LIKE THIS...
[Reply]
badbriar 10:34 AM 12-21-2014
Originally Posted by 8lug:
+1 on the above! I do same on my Weber Smoky Mountain. Just be triple sure to get temp correct. This cut can overlook quickly towards the end. Best part is the RA - lots of smoky bark. If you can get your taster to part with some, makes an AWESOME smoky gravy! :-)

Let us know how it comes out - happy holidays!
[Reply]
Up