Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Wine, Beer, and Spirits>"Best" whisky in the world is from....
AdamJoshua 10:34 PM 11-04-2014
Japan (at least according to this folk).

Scottish distilleries are in shock after a Japanese single malt was named the best whisky in the world.

Whisky expert Jim Murray described the Yamazaki Single Malt Sherry Cask 2013 as a drink of “near incredible genius”, awarding it 97.5 marks out of 100 in the 2015 World Whisky Bible.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...t-9835583.html
[Reply]
shilala 05:28 AM 11-05-2014
Japan can suck it.
[Reply]
CigarNut 06:09 AM 11-05-2014
Maybe it is a good whisky (never heard of Jim Murray and I do not know why his opinion matters), but I like my Scottish Single Malts (Scotch).
[Reply]
Don Fernando 06:22 AM 11-05-2014
Japanese whisky's are out of this world (some of them). Its just like with 'new world' wines, some of them are better than the 'old world' wines. And hey, same goes for cigars. I prefer Nicaraguan cigars over Cubans on any day of the week.

Amrut is a very nice Indian whisky, Belgium is making some nice whisky's with a connection to their beer heritage (both Duvel and Gouden Carolus make a nice whisky out the their beer mash).
[Reply]
The Poet 07:15 AM 11-05-2014
I don't drink me no new-fangled booze from odd foreign Johnny-Come-Lately spots, like Kentucky.
[Reply]
pektel 07:28 AM 11-05-2014
I'd like to know more about it. Is it ingredients from other countries, and just formulated in japan? Or is it a rice mash they use?
[Reply]
shilala 08:05 AM 11-05-2014
It's amde from stuff they squeeze out of Godzilla's fun parts, Peter.
I know, sounds crazy, but there ya go.
[Reply]
SNKBYT 08:21 AM 11-05-2014
I'll stick with the Irish whiskeys, sour mash whiskey and Blue Ridge Mountain Shine :-)
[Reply]
Porch Dweller 08:37 AM 11-05-2014
As with many "Best of..." lists, it's pretty subjective. But that doesn't mean I wouldn't try it; I've heard good things about Japanese whiskeys but have never had any.
[Reply]
czerbe 08:47 AM 11-05-2014
Nope not going to, can't make me, I wont do it,... well unless you pour it in front of me.. then I'll try it.. but I swear I'll hate it... unless its really good then I'll like it.. but I'll still talk bad about it......
[Reply]
nutcracker 09:15 AM 11-05-2014
They're not bad. They're expensive - way more than scotch.

Jim Murray has become a bit like Robert Parker. Everyone will now run off and buy Japanese whiskey. Makes one wonder regarding one's credibility when you can affect the market like that.

Still hard to beat a decent Islay scotch. Come back Port Ellen - all is forgiven.....

Just my 2 cents worth.
[Reply]
Ed M 10:16 AM 11-05-2014
I like my Irish Whiskey, "neat". The Irish say it's a sin to put water in your whiskey!
[Reply]
pektel 10:19 AM 11-05-2014
Originally Posted by shilala:
It's amde from stuff they squeeze out of Godzilla's fun parts, Peter.
I know, sounds crazy, but there ya go.
That explains the salty undertone I was getting. :-)
[Reply]
Adriftpanda 02:30 PM 11-05-2014
Us Asians are taking over the world.
[Reply]
The Poet 02:54 PM 11-05-2014
Originally Posted by Adriftpanda:
Us Asians are taking over the world.
Have you seen the world lately? You can have it! :-)
[Reply]
cigarmarine 03:09 PM 11-05-2014
Originally Posted by nutcracker:
They're not bad. They're expensive - way more than scotch.

Jim Murray has become a bit like Robert Parker. Everyone will now run off and buy Japanese whiskey. Makes one wonder regarding one's credibility when you can affect the market like that.

Still hard to beat a decent Islay scotch. Come back Port Ellen - all is forgiven.....

Just my 2 cents worth.
Have to agree with you on that. One mans palate shouldn't rule the world
[Reply]
icehog3 03:25 PM 11-05-2014
Originally Posted by nutcracker:
So he is the Dick Hacker of whiskey? :-)

Originally Posted by Don Fernando:
Japanese whisky's are out of this world (some of them). Its just like with 'new world' wines, some of them are better than the 'old world' wines. And hey, same goes for cigars. I prefer Nicaraguan cigars over Cubans on any day of the week.
Ya had me and then ya lost me. :-)
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 08:13 PM 11-05-2014
Originally Posted by icehog3:

Ya had me and then ya lost me. :-)
This from the guy that drinks creamy rum. :-)
[Reply]
Up