Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Good Eats>Apartment sized griller/smoker?
Drazzil 08:38 AM 01-29-2014
I live in a really small apartment but but would love the chance to barbecue and or smoke meat. Something small, and portable that could fit into a small storage closet is a must. I am tired of paying out of the wazoo at a restaurant every time I want to taste good smoke barbecue. Price range is a few hundred bucks, say one to three hundred, maybe a little more if I absolutely need to.

Anyone out there know the grill for me?

Oh, and I am a complete newbie when it comes to bbq/smoking.
[Reply]
pnoon 08:42 AM 01-29-2014
Traeger FTW.

The Junior is the right size but it's on wheeled legs so storing it might be an issue for you. Link is from the Traeger site and full retail is $399 but they can be bought for less.

http://www.traegergrills.com/shop/detail/BBQ055

The PTG is portable and may be what you are looking for. Full retail is $299.

http://www.traegergrills.com/shop/detail/BBQ020
[Reply]
Drazzil 09:02 AM 01-29-2014
Is the PTG a gas griller?
[Reply]
Drazzil 09:02 AM 01-29-2014
PS I am totally a newbie at the whole grilling thing.
[Reply]
pnoon 09:07 AM 01-29-2014
It's not a grill. It is a pellet smoker. Heat is indirect.
The Traeger website has links to "how they work"
[Reply]
MurphysLaw 09:40 AM 01-29-2014
Check your fire codes as well, many apartments aren't allowed to have open flames on patios and balconies, which eliminates charcoal and propane. I have a Weber Q140 that's all electric, works great and complied with fire code and HOA rules at my old condo. Still keep it on the patio at my new house for grilling up burgers and hot dogs. It's just a grill so no smoking, but better than nothing.
[Reply]
T.G 10:09 AM 01-29-2014
Originally Posted by pnoon:
The PTG is portable and may be what you are looking for. Full retail is $299.

http://www.traegergrills.com/shop/detail/BBQ020
Word of warning, the PTG is deceptively larger looking than it actually is. IIRC, cook surface is only about 12" x 15" and you only get about 5-1/2" vertically to put something in, which isn't enough room to stand up a rack of ribs or a chicken, you might even have trouble cramming a 7+lb bone in pork shoulder in there and I'm not even sure they'll hold a complete rack of spare ribs. For beef ribs, half to 1/3 rack is all you'll get in there. The short distance between the pellet cup and the grate can also cause some hot spots. Topping off all of that, it only holds a few hours of pellets too. To me, this thing is really more like a tailgate grill for cut up chicken, hamburgers and sausages, and not a smoker. Imagine trying to cook something inside your 40-count traveldor, that's about all the space you get with this, because you can't go all the way to the edges of the grate.

IMO, probably better off paying $100 more for the Jr. or the Lil' Texas, they hold more, have the vertical height to put taller things in, distribute heat evenly and hold a good 8-12 hours of pellets.
:-)
[Reply]
Drazzil 10:09 AM 01-29-2014
I live in a duplex that is single story with its own back patio and a shared back yard. I have seen others barbecue with no problem at all.
[Reply]
T.G 10:16 AM 01-29-2014
BTW, I think I've seen the Jr. for $349 at Costco when the Traeger road show comes through.
[Reply]
8lug 10:18 AM 01-29-2014
Check out the Big green egg, imho best of all worlds
[Reply]
Sweet_Leaf_PDX 11:03 AM 01-29-2014
I highly recommend the Traeger Jr. with the tailgating kit (http://www.traegergrills.com/shop/detail/BAC314).
[Reply]
OLS 07:56 AM 01-30-2014
Smoked meat is not that good for you anyway. It is going to be hard to suits your needs for now,
and if that closet is inside (hopefully not), your house is gonna STINK something FIERCE when you
bring it inside. I say keep paying rip off prices, eat less BBQ, and save for a rental house or a small
starter home. :-)
If that closet is outside and has a lockable door, I guess the possibilities open up some. Good Luck
[Reply]
replicant_argent 08:03 AM 01-30-2014
Search "Alton Brown clay pot smoker" Takes up about the same room as a slightly fatter 5 gallon paint can when stacked, you could double bag it in a couple contractor bags for storage.
[Reply]
Up