Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Wine, Beer, and Spirits>Cheap Vino Recommendation
Big Perm 08:41 PM 01-19-2014
The Costco wine guy recommended their wine, the 2012 Kirkland Cali Cab Sauv, to my wife on Saturday, so why not....the big 1.5 L bottle was like $8, and she knew I'd eventually drink it if it didn't fit her taste buds, being too cheap to let anything go to waste.....we both like it, I've had $15 standard size bottles I enjoyed less, recommend this if you are a volume drinker, or a great value especially if you host a party....it's pretty damn good....
[Reply]
Felixcigar 12:36 PM 01-27-2014
Sam's Club carries Yellow Tail (look for the Kangaroo): price is very reasonable and the taste in not bad.
[Reply]
Sweet_Leaf_PDX 12:42 PM 01-27-2014
My wife and I both enjoy the Twisted Vines Old Vine Zinfandel. This can be found in 1.5L bottles at Costco for about $8.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 12:42 PM 01-27-2014
I'll take the Kirkland over Yellow anything. Kirkland branded wines are a good value. Their CdP is really good for the money, as is their Champagne. I've age their Champagne for like 5-6 years and was huge hit.
[Reply]
billybarue 11:05 PM 01-27-2014
As much as I am a fan of Costco, I have been disappointed with their low-end wines. I've had my best luck at Trader Joe's for my everyday "table wine". In addition, In multiple stores around the country, I have found there are usually one or two "wine savants" on the staff. They are very well-informed in general, and in particular on the wines Trader Joes sells. At Costco, this is not the case. Rarely disappointed with Trader Joes wines I've bought. They have a line of reds (one I think is Sicilian) with a stylized horse on the label. I think there are 4 wines under that label and I've enjoyed them all - for the price.

$.02
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 06:52 AM 01-28-2014
Originally Posted by billybarue:
As much as I am a fan of Costco, I have been disappointed with their low-end wines. I've had my best luck at Trader Joe's for my everyday "table wine".
I don't disagree with that. Trader Joe's offers a lot of value on their wine. Costco wine selection varies quite dramatically. I go to the Scottsdale, AZ one several times a year and that just blows away my local Waltham, MA store... Waltham is Costco's biggest liquor selling store on the East Coast too!

Regardless of the store, there are many good wines under $12 IMO. Spain, Portugal, and Italy are my favorite countries for such wine.
[Reply]
insurgus 04:08 PM 02-24-2014
Skip that yellowtail garbage and get this. It's incredibly well priced. I think we paid $11CDN a bottle, so that's about $2.50 American. All jokes aside, its our house wine and most guests think its a $25 bottle.

[Reply]
mosesbotbol 05:59 AM 02-25-2014
Louis Martini is a solid producer for the money.

I am sure I have mentioned this wine, but pick up Symington's "Altano". Retails for around $11 and is fantastic. Buy it by the case! Will age for 10-15 years without worry.
[Reply]
baust55 01:35 PM 05-25-2014
Anything in a cardboard box .

ok I am a smart ass

Austin
[Reply]
TXSmokey 02:13 PM 05-25-2014
can't go wrong with the redneck favorite: Boones farm. snow creek berry is the best
[Reply]
Up