Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Tabacos Baez serie SF toro
Don Fernando 02:04 AM 07-09-2010
This Nicaraguan puro is made by Don Pepin Garcia at the My Father factory in Nicaragua. The cigar is named after the Cuban town where José 'Don Pepin' Garcia was born. This cigar is a medium filler, which means that the cigar is made from both longfiller leafs and shortfiller. The ratio of the leafs is about 70% longfiller and 30% short. This mix is rolled in a Nicaraguan habano wrapper and there you have the Tabacos Baez serie SF.

This cigar looks nice, the wrapper is nice and dark, dry and leathery, but like old aged and dry leather like the face of an elderly fisherman. The wrapper as a few veins and the band is quite simple. The construction of this 6x50 toro feels good but the raisin flavored predraw is on the loose side. The cigar has a strong barnyard smell.

I taste a full coffee flavor with lots of earth flavor and a hint of chocolate. After ⅓ I taste dry wood and straw while all the other flavors have disappeared. The aftertaste is mild herbal.

Halfway the chocolate makes a return, but just faint and for a little time only. The main flavors are wood and herbs. The herbs slowly gain strength until they are dominant.

The duration of this smoke is about 70 minutes. I got a lot of smoke but the draw was a bit on the loose side. The ash has a pepper and salt color and is quite firm. The burn is pretty straight. I would say this is a full flavored cigar with a medium to full body.

Would I buy this cigar again? Yes, these sticks are dirt cheap and quite nice. These could easily be a daily smoke that doesn't hurt the finances.

Appearance: 7 / 10
Construction: 7 / 10
Draw: 6 / 10
Burn: 8 / 10
Smoke & ash: 8 / 10
Aroma first part: 7 / 10
Aroma second part: 7 / 10
Aroma third part: 6 / 10
[Reply]
longknocker 04:03 AM 07-09-2010
Great Review, Ferdie!:-) I Agree With You; These Are Great Smokes!:-)
[Reply]
kelmac07 04:34 AM 07-09-2010
Another fine review Ferdie. Dannysguitar turned me onto these...and I had to have a box. :-) :-)
[Reply]
Patrick B 04:37 AM 07-09-2010
I've gone through many boxes of these bad boys. Best cheap stick out there and I feel many 'blind' smokers would guess it's a $5-$7 cigar...
[Reply]
Skywalker 07:26 AM 07-09-2010
Very nice review!!! :-)

I had my first SF last week! Very enjoyable smoke!

[Reply]
elderboy02 07:32 AM 07-09-2010
Originally Posted by Patrick B:
I've gone through many boxes of these bad boys. Best cheap stick out there and I feel many 'blind' smokers would guess it's a $5-$7 cigar...
:-)
[Reply]
dannysguitar 12:00 PM 07-09-2010
+100 Never out of stock of these, well, until now. Which do you guys think is better? TBSF or the Nestor Miranda 1989 Oscuro? I like them both very much and they are around the same price point when you get them at a discount.
[Reply]
Don Fernando 12:04 PM 07-09-2010
never had the Nestor Miranda 1989 oscuro, so I can't tell which I like better.
[Reply]
Patrick B 05:14 PM 07-09-2010
Having never had the 1989, I still pick the Pepin cigar. I'm a Pepin whore. :-)
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 05:32 PM 07-09-2010
Originally Posted by Patrick B:
Having never had the 1989, I still pick the Pepin cigar. I'm a Pepin whore. :-)
The 1989 is also a Pepin made cigar.

These SF's kick all kinds of arse! I dig the corona!
[Reply]
Catfish 05:49 PM 07-09-2010
Nice review, Ferd! Gonna have to find some of these!
[Reply]
76GTFan 08:12 PM 07-09-2010
The ones I have tried do not have a dark wrapper like that. Does the SF blend come in different wraps?
[Reply]
Up