Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Reposado 96 by AJ Fernandez
kenstogie 02:27 PM 06-26-2010
Reposado 96

Reposado 96 by AJ Fernandez
Soooo after a devil site purchase, 2 weeks rest and letting it sit out for 3-4 hours outside I decided to torch up a Reposado Habano. Made by AJ Fernandez (Diesel, Man O’ War, Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet, La Harencia Oscuro Fuerte, 5 Vegas Triple A and many others) these come in three wrappers Habano, Maduro and a Connecticut. I heard the Habano was the stand out so I that’s what I bid on. These are one of those blends that are “flying under the radar” but still have great reviews so I wanted to see if they stood up to the limited reviews that were all positive. Do they? Read on.

The Reposado comes in only one size the Salomon 7x58, which is a Figurado that’s essentially a torpedo with a nipple at the lighting end. Construction was fantastic as with almost all the AJF stuff and was solid with a nice easy draw, probably a little easy for some but perfect for me. The wrapper was your typical habano color with only small veins on it.
I don’t often smoke salomon’s so I wasn’t sure actually which end to light but was reasonably sure it was the nipple end.

Any way at first lighting I noticed with in the first 10 puffs, cream, leather, tea, and licorice with a touch of spice which essentially faded to a very solid creamy earthy leather. Ash was fairly solid and this produces A LOT of smoke. Body and flavor were on the medium full to full end and I wouldn’t recommend this for a beginner. After about a ¼ through I noticed a nice sweetness with the dominant leathery earth which was pretty much the rest of the cigar with a pleasant after taste with the occasional mild spice added in. Flavors did intensify a bit toward the end and be careful not to draw frequently.

I paired this with a local brew-pub brew; Brown’s Pale Ale which I fear was a small mistake as I find the hoppy beers can mask some of the more delicate flavor traits. Nonetheless the Reposado stood up well.

It had NO problem with staying lit and never needed a touch up nor did it ever need to be re-lit . Even after sitting for 3-4 minutes it still stayed lit. I purged this fairly large cigar about 5 times not because it was needed but just on GP.

So did this cigar hold up? Absolutely! It was most certainly a fantastically satisfying cigar that was 2 hours of pure smoking pleasure. One thought comes to mind again and again is how does this guy (AJ) produce cigars that are so well built, that have great flavors and complexity, for such a small price?
[Reply]
maninblack 06:08 PM 06-26-2010
Just got a box of these off the devil site and gotta say, they are a good consistent smoke for the price. Got my box for $64 and thats for a box of 40! Great review!!
[Reply]
longknocker 06:15 PM 06-26-2010
Nice Review! Reposados Are Great For The Price Point!:-)
[Reply]
G G 06:58 PM 06-26-2010
Well the that settles it. I will have to try to get some of these as I have been wanting to try them for a while.
[Reply]
kenstogie 07:19 PM 06-26-2010
Of course YMMV but I can't see anyone not liking this stick if they like the type. I am going to try 2 more and if they are half as good I am getting a box. Damn that was a REALLY REALLY good stick.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
kelmac07 07:31 PM 06-26-2010
JK gave me the maduro version of this stick...very enjoyable!! :-) :-)
[Reply]
lbowles2 07:43 PM 06-26-2010
I purchased a box of the maduros and really like em. I bombed a friend of mine with 5 of em and he dug em too. Glad to see we aren't the only ones :-)
[Reply]
MarkinAZ 09:00 PM 06-26-2010
Thanks for the review and photo' on the Reposado 96 Habano:-):-)
[Reply]
kenstogie 10:05 PM 06-26-2010
I would be interested in hearing from someone that doesn't like this stick. :-)
[Reply]
MajorCaptSilly 10:45 PM 06-26-2010
I've been wondering about these. I haven't had an AJ blend I don't like. Time to check out the Devil Site.

MCS
[Reply]
kenstogie 12:15 PM 06-27-2010
Originally Posted by MajorCaptSilly:
I haven't had an AJ blend I don't like.
MCS
Pretty much the same here. He's damn good blender for sure
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
dannysguitar 04:17 PM 06-28-2010
Thanks for the review. I've been curious about these for over a year. I guess I better start bidding! :-)
[Reply]
Up