Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>"get your feet wet" contest winnings review: Cain Maduro
alexa071 12:27 AM 06-15-2010
This will be my third review of the cigars sent to me by Goldie (Drew) as my winnings in the “get your feet wet” contest.

My attention was first drawn to the dark wrapper on this cigar. The cigar seemed to be moderately well constructed but didn’t have the “finish” I’ve seen on the others. The cigar didn’t cut as cleanly as I’d hoped either.

The pre-draw on the cigar was unremarkable with mild spice and mellow tobacco flavors. I was expecting some sweetness with the maduro-like wrapper but I didn’t notice any.

The cigar lit with some effort and my first draw on the cigar was of mild spice and what I’d describe as burning leaves. The burning leaves smell wasn’t a bad flavor but it was not something I’d tasted in cigars before.

The ash on the cigar was slightly loose but it didn’t drop until finishing the first 1/3rd.

The second 1/3rd of the cigar the flavor became more bold but still what I’d classify as “unremarkable”. I could taste the slight taste of leather on the tip of my tongue and it numbed my tongue a bit. The cigar went out during the second 1/3rd and I ashed it to relight it well.

As I entered the final 1/3rd of the cigar I started to notice that the spice flavors picked up. I was also distinctly aware that I had started to feel the nicotine in my gut and it was knotting up a bit. I did eat before smoking this cigar and the nicotine sickness was a bit out of the ordinary for me.

I opened the sealed envelope and discovered the cigar to be a: Cain Maduro 5.7” x 50 gauge.

I enjoyed the Cain Maduro, but I must say it was my least favorite so far. I don’t place numbers on cigars but here’s how I’d list what Drew sent me so far:

#1 – La Riqueza
#2 – Diesel Unholy Cocktail
#3 – Cain Maduro

I’d also like to mention that my wife enjoyed her first cigar with me as I smoked this one. She enjoyed a CAO Flavors Moontrance suggested to her by our local tobbaconist. She enjoyed the cigar and her statement for the night was “You can’t rush a cigar but the cigar can rush you”. Take from it what you will.

Thanks Drew!

Randy
[Reply]
tomc3084 04:29 AM 06-15-2010
Awesome review Drew. I have really been enjoying these
[Reply]
Goldie 09:03 AM 06-15-2010
You nailed the nicotine right on the head Randy. These guys pack a punch.

Sorry it was your least favorite so far. Hopefully the others will make up for it.

And I love the quote from your wife. I wish I could get my wife to enjoy a cigar with me.
[Reply]
elderboy02 09:45 AM 06-15-2010
Thanks for the review. Try the Cain Habano. I pick up more flavor in them.
[Reply]
alexa071 02:46 AM 06-16-2010
No worries Drew! They can't all be your favorite... Thanks!
[Reply]
bscottskangum 06:53 AM 06-16-2010
Originally Posted by elderboy02:
Thanks for the review. Try the Cain Habano. I pick up more flavor in them.
:-)

I typically enjoy maduros, but I have found with the Cain's that the Habano's give off a better flavor profile.

Good review!
[Reply]
Up